fords new 5.8 eco boost v8

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: boxcartommie22
ford is coming out with the modular 5.8 eco boost v8 engine that will have 600 hp.cant wait!!

I dont think thats correct unless you can provide a link. Ford did take the 5.4L and turn it into a 5.8L for the new GT500 and with a blower it will have 650hp from the factory. Its not an ecoboost, just a bored 5.4L with a blower.

Originally Posted By: FL_Rob
I wish everyone would stop calling it "ECO"boost .It's just a turbo charger folks.But I know the greenies are loving the term.

Since the name of this engine family is the ECOboost, I highly doubt thats not going to happen. It was originally gonna be call "Twin Force" but they thought ecoboost would capture more sales.... looks like their plan is working too.

Originally Posted By: volk06
I wish everyone would stop calling it "ECO"boost .It's just a turbo charger folks.But I know the greenies are loving the term.

Since the name of this engine family is the ECOboost, I highly doubt thats not going to happen. It was originally gonna be call "Twin Force" but they thought ecoboost would capture more sales.... looks like their plan is working too.

considering that the ecoboost explorer is 28 mpg and ecoboost edge is 30, Id say it is fairly eco-friendly, at least in terms of gasoline consumption given vehicle size.

Originally Posted By: JHZR2

considering that the ecoboost explorer is 28 mpg and ecoboost edge is 30, Id say it is fairly eco-friendly, at least in terms of gasoline consumption given vehicle size.

You get that economy, IF and only if you stay out of the throttle and off the turbos.

and whats the point?

IF I drive normal I get 26-28mpg highway if I dont I get 22mpg.. and I'm N/A.

HP/torque=GAS

Last edited:
In real world driving it seems that I have 2 other owners here backing me up on this. We have had 3 EB vehicles in our family, only one left now.

No matter what platform it's in the EB gets around 17-18 mpg average. Hardly world toppling.

Originally Posted By: SteveSRT8
In real world driving it seems that I have 2 other owners here backing me up on this. We have had 3 EB vehicles in our family, only one left now.

No matter what platform it's in the EB gets around 17-18 mpg average. Hardly world toppling.

I'm a ecoboost owner and I agree. My life time average is 16.4mpg but that includes driving on gravel roads and 4x4 with snow. Right now on this trip I'm right at 18.0, driving 70mph on interstate and some city driving. It gets within the expected fuel economy range. I can get 20-21 if i set my cruise at 60mph. Anytime u give it boost, I can watch that gauge drop down pretty fast. For that much power and that fuel economy, I'm happy, I would like it to be better but theres nothing I can do about it now since I wont be trading it off or getting rid of it.

Originally Posted By: JHZR2

You get that economy, IF and only if you stay out of the throttle and off the turbos.

And?????!?!?!? What else is new? No different with a non-turbo engine, other than some aspects of the slew rate possibly making it easier to do in some ways on the turbo plant.

More power always = more fuel. But obviously the SFCs are superior on the ecoboost.

As someone who owns:
-2004 Saab turbo
-2011 BMW 135i twin turbo
-1982 MB 300CD turbodiesel

I am well accustomed to turbos, and their presence does not in any way impede me from handily beating the EPA numbers on all vehicles.

It is an appreciation of physics that does it, not having a turbo or not.

But a plant with a better SFC will yield superior mileage, as we are seeing here.

Very true and well put, the truck is a 5800 pound brick. What do u mean by SPC?

Last edited:
Does nothing for me. Just another idiot gets ahold of one and cant handle that much power and wipes out an innocent family.

What do u mean by SFC?

Specific Fuel Consumption. It's how much mass of fuel per unit of power produced. People always say things like "HP = fuel" but it's not like every engine produces the same amount of power for a given amount of fuel. Turbo engines tend to have better SFC.

My 2003 Saab says "Ecopower" right on the engine. Ford's branding here is nothing new or original.

jeff

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back