2005 Mazda 3 ATF M-V Equivalent?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I tried many searches on the Mazda 3 forums and everyone has different opinions on what transmission fluid to use and what transmission fluid NOT to use..
Some say Dexron III (like Maxlfie) is compatible..Some say NOT!
God help me! lol

Ive tried Redline D4, Mobil 1 ATF, Maxlife ATF.. All with different shift results..I like Maxlife the best. (b/c I actually found out my trans pan took 3 quarts..not 4..
frown.gif
)
Redline made my tranny shutter, but then I found out I overfilled it by a quart. and dumped it..
sick.gif

Im probably gonna try Redline D4 again, with a bottle of Lubeguard..? Any thoughts?

Any suggestions on what transmission fluid will give me the best results??
Im only asking b/c I personally enjoy smooth shifting but sometimes the shifts tend to be pretty hard..even on light load.

Last edited:
Are you sure your manual call for Mercon-V and not MV? MV does not equal Mercon-V, they are different fluids. I'm not aware of any of the newer Mazdas(3,6) calling for Mercon in any of the trans.

Originally Posted By: meangreen01
Are you sure your manual call for Mercon-V and not MV? They are different fluids. I'm not aware of any of the newer Mazdas(3,6) calling for Mercon in any of the trans.

Oops your right..I looked in my manual and my trans dipstick says M-V. lol.
What types are compatible with MV?

Last edited:
If I were you, I'd go back to stock. It seems these universal ATF's return mixed results. The Aisin-Warner in my MZ6 calls for T-IV and there has been great debate as to what's compatible or works good in that trans. I just decided to stick with OEM since everything else was such a mixed bag.

If you're really bent on something else, I'd go with the Redline.

The ford P/N for Mazda M5 atf is: XT9-QMM5. It is priced at $8.68/qt. list. It has special friction modifiers for compatability with the clutch material. Don't make the mistake I did. Use it with no regrets. FWIW--Oldtommy PS --Yes, Ford calls it FNR5 fluid

I used castrol import multi vehicle ATF since about 20k miles with great results. The transmission always shifted nice and smooth, even during winter. I flushed castrol ATF with Petro Canada ATF at about 65k miles and so far, so good.
I wouldn't be afraid of multi vehicle atfs, at least the transmission in Mazda 3 reacts to them well.

Ive been using Maxlife Dex/Merc in my wifes 2008 3i for about 55k miles now (102 k miles on car). Its working very well. A significant improvement in shift quality over that M-V GARBAGE.

I actually just did a flush a few weeks ago with 5 qts of Maxlife and 4 quarts of Supertech Dexron VI(thought I had more Maxlife) and I think it's shifting even better. I also used a Magnefine this time in the cooler return line.

P.S. The more I work on this car, the more amusing it is to me that FoMoCo is stamped every where. FoMoCo=Ford Motor Company.

Originally Posted By: 2oldtommy
The ford P/N for Mazda M5 atf is: XT9-QMM5. It is priced at $8.68/qt. list. It has special friction modifiers for compatability with the clutch material. Don't make the mistake I did. Use it with no regrets. FWIW--Oldtommy PS --Yes, Ford calls it FNR5 fluid

Yes you are correct. I was going to post the number, but we were looking at a engine harness out of a 2012 SkyActiv Mazda 3 that caught fire when the starter solenoid grounded itself and kept the PCM controlled starter on all the time.

Thank for all the inputs! Any thoughts on Lube Guard additive? Or should I avoid these "snake oils"?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back