MOS2 Additive

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi there guys,

Just thought I would let you know my experience with this oil additive. I put 250ml in my Audi Quattro and felt a difference. The most noticeable effect is the reduction in engine braking, it seems to coast far longer (which I suppose is how the would formulate their claim for friction reduction?). Power has increased slightly maybe by 2-3%. Also requires less throttle input for climbing hills and cruising about. Put approx 20ml in with the central hydraulik fluid (steering/brake boost) and it has stopped the majority of the pump noise, and the pump no longer groans..

I didn't service it or change any variables, just curious if other people have had similar results?

The brand I used was Liqui Moly.

BTW - Do these additives reduce compression?

Last edited:
I buy that stuff by the case. Every gas powered piece of equipment I own plus my Harley ,mustang and truck get it too. In an industry filled with snake oil tjat stuff isn't.

I have used - molyslip with very positive results -
use in the snow-blower was the most noticeable
MOS2=good stuff

The mos2 shouldnt affect engine braking unless its killing your ring seal. Moly is nice in an engine but mos2 will kill tBN faster due to acids formation. Just dont overdose, I would 50% underdose.

Last edited:
See my threads about MoS2. You cant tell 2-3% power. All sorts of other variables, including temperature could have effected the results of what you claim.

I will agree that the throttle can be used slightly lighter, but in practice, I have not seen any MPG improvements over pre-MoS2 use (I manually log each tank).

It is good stuff, will see the long term effects next UOA.

I have had Lubro Moly in so long that my comparisons are numbed.

But initially, the idle was smoother and there was more perceived pep.

Thanks for the input guys.

Could be reducing ring seal, bottom end to mid-range seems the same, definitely a bit more from 4K - 7.5K rpm.

@ JHZ2, I can definitely see what your saying this was just my opinion from my experience that's all. I've given feedback on driving 2 stroke racing engines for the past 8 yrs, so to me I feel like I can notice any characteristic differences.

Ill have to compression check the engine to see if their is any change from last time it was checked.

I have an idea going forward with my current OCI. I plan to add a correct MoS2 dosage after the initial 1,000 miles into this OCI, with the idea of it being in there after the cleansing package does most of it's work. Take it up to 7,500 and sample.

Solid lubricants in stable dispersion proved to work well in engines and transmissions. Look for high concentration, good stability and particle size <1 micron. Avoid PTFE, but graphite and Boron Nitride give great results as well.

I've seen a price increase of almost 100% for MoS2 at local Napa stores, FWIW. Still a decent buy at $7.49 retail locally. If it were to go up any higher, I'd probably stop using it...

I think it costs ~4.69 a can at NAPA? In any case, it is a good additive. Even in oils that have Moly already.. something about how the Moly in it is different, somehow. The effect IS noticeable! It "seals" the engine and moving parts up, in a good way. And although putting in the whole can (i put it in on a HOT engine, for maximum adhesion) makes a difference, putting in half a can then the other half later (if you can hold back your will to do so) will have virtually, if slightly less, the same effect.

I have heard somebody say they put in 2 cans once but i would not recommend doing that. And the change in oil color to "olive" is normal.

Originally Posted By: Vikas
Is it advisable to put Kreen in the oil which was MOS2'd before? Won't they "fight" each other??

"Kind of." Same when asked if Mos2 can be put in a sludged engine.

Some know better than I but the question was asked if MMO could be used the same time as Mos2. My answer would be "no" but others came in and said that they do different things, and could actually be used at the same time.

And while that sounds good at firs,t if it came down to it, .. i wouldnt do it, as it seems like "too much going on" after a good hard think. Kreen i would imagine would be the same.

Kreen it BEFORE Mos2 IMHO. As i said, i dont know "as much" as someone else but i have kept tabs on this, reading.

There are cleaners and moly in most oils. What's the difference? I really do not think it makes a difference if you use MMO or Moly at the same time...

Originally Posted By: Boss302fan
There are cleaners and moly in most oils. What's the difference? I really do not think it makes a difference if you use MMO or Moly at the same time...

Yes but

1. They are proportioned to each other and

2. Motor oil is not known for its high moly content OR cleaning ability except predominantly in the case of PYB, PU, High POE M1 or Redline (both) and

3. The Moly goes "into" suspension and "out of" suspension. Does that happen in normal motor oil as well?

Just some thoughts
smile.gif

I had been thinking of adding Moly to the engine oil for years. It wasn't till Amsoil put some in the new AZO 0W-30 oil that I went out and bought a can of Molyslip. My engine idle (1993 Civic 1.5L) went up 100 to 150 RPM by just using the AZO oil. I think the Moly in the AZO is responsible for this RPM rise, so I want to explore this further to see what else there is to realize from the Moly additive.

Originally Posted By: harry j
I had been thinking of adding Moly to the engine oil for years. It wasn't till Amsoil put some in the new AZO 0W-30 oil that I went out and bought a can of Molyslip. My engine idle (1993 Civic 1.5L) went up 100 to 150 RPM by just using the AZO oil. I think the Moly in the AZO is responsible for this RPM rise, so I want to explore this further to see what else there is to realize from the Moly additive.

Engine speed is controlled via computer, if the idle jumped I'd check for issues with the IAC, TPS, vacuum leaks, etc.

BTW the moly add is GTG.

The idle is only partially controlled by the computer. The idle is initially set with an air adjustment screw and then the IAC is connected. All things being equal and not doing anything else but using AZO oil with the Moly now included, the idle is now closer to where it should have been all along. That's the only thing I did.

Originally Posted By: harry j
The idle is only partially controlled by the computer. The idle is initially set with an air adjustment screw and then the IAC is connected. All things being equal and not doing anything else but using AZO oil with the Moly now included, the idle is now closer to where it should have been all along. That's the only thing I did.

I know how it works and how to set it, something isn't adding up. If that's the case drop the idle down and save the cash at the gas pump.
wink.gif

Once the IAC is connected the computer should take control of idle speed. So unless you changed the oil with the IAC unplugged and checked idle speed before and after the oil change I can't see how you'd see a difference. But then again I only own American vehicles.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back