for you truckers

Status
Not open for further replies.
Cool! At what point does the diesel/electric drivetrain become more efficient? 18 gears? I heard 4 shifts before that thing was even doing 10MPH from the sound of it.
As to the Mammoet, it seems to move better, faster and is more nimble than the space shuttle transporter which I have seen up close.

Hi,
mcshooter - Yes, Road Trains have been an important part of Australia's transport system for a very long time

My Driver Trainers selected and trained the original Universal Transport Operations (UTO as featured)Drivers in the early/mid 1990s. This operation is/was part of Mt Isa Mines and was centred there and in Townsville. At one stage it (UTO) operated all over Australia

My Driver Trainers and I tested most of their Drivers on a rotational basis for several years. This included starting and stopping procedures

Once off the hard seal road and after a "bit" of rain traction can disappear with up to four or more loaded trailers coupled up. The starting tests involved the correct use of gearbox, diff locks and other traction devices. It also involved uncoupling trailers and moving them onto hard surfaces and recoupling and etc

The use of multispeed (up to 20 speed) gearboxes of course is a prime requirement. Teaching Drivers when to use certain ratios or not to use them (skip shifting) is always difficult and usually requires breaking down the myths that surround them. Of course horsepower is needed to maintain speed once mobile but torque gets the show on the road - the correct match of gear ratios to engine output is very critical to a satisfactory performamce

Today the "going" horsepower for road train prime movers is around 600>hp

I used road train spec 500hp 18spd prime movers in my own over-the-road Interstate operations. A little heavier than standard spec they were also very robust when the all up weight was only around 42000kgs (around 90k lbs)

Synthetic gear lubricants significantly reduce driveline operating temperatures by up to 30C. This extends life and reliability of gearboxes and diffs

I hope this is of interest

18sp transmissions are very common here in the usa. Most guys just have it for bragging rights as they are not needed in a regular otr truck.its basically a 9sp with a splitter in low and hi

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Chris142
18sp transmissions are very common here in the usa. Most guys just have it for bragging rights as they are not needed in a regular otr truck.its basically a 9sp with a splitter in low and hi
You usually need to get an 18 speed transmission to get big horsepower rated engines as well. Light duty spec drive trains with big torque and horsepower usually don't last long when pulling heavy weight.

Hi,
xxch4osxx - Yes vehicle Manufacturers balance the needs and the regulations for ratings. This is often based on the applications within a certain Country. In OZ "startability" is a critical factor with very high train weights. It is based on the max gradient and the max mass plus a safety factor

In OZ we went from the "standard" 9sp to 13 and 15spds and now 18 is the "standard". Of course these are often replumbed to convert back to a minimum usable number. Our main roads - say Sydney to Melbourne (900kms) very few gearshifts are required point to point - a long way from 40 years ago!

Of course it the multiplication of torque that gets it all rolling. In the wrong hands too much results in broken axles, clutch failures and the likes

Constant mesh boxes are very reliable. When I drove the first synchromesh ZF Ecosplit 16spd around Lake Constance in Germany in the early 1980s I thought it was "the next thing". Largely constant mesh boxes still rule WW

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: xxch4osxx
You usually need to get an 18 speed transmission to get big horsepower rated engines as well. Light duty spec drive trains with big torque and horsepower usually don't last long when pulling heavy weight.

I'm talking about regular OTR trucks that only run 80K or less.I'm seeing many 550+hp engines and 18 speeds in these trucks and thats just not needed with 80K.

Sure in NV where they pull tripples a 18 may be needed but these are fruit trucks and such.

Originally Posted By: Doug Hillary
Hi,
xxch4osxx - Yes vehicle Manufacturers balance the needs and the regulations for ratings. This is often based on the applications within a certain Country. In OZ "startability" is a critical factor with very high train weights. It is based on the max gradient and the max mass plus a safety factor

In OZ we went from the "standard" 9sp to 13 and 15spds and now 18 is the "standard". Of course these are often replumbed to convert back to a minimum usable number. Our main roads - say Sydney to Melbourne (900kms) very few gearshifts are required point to point - a long way from 40 years ago!

Of course it the multiplication of torque that gets it all rolling. In the wrong hands too much results in broken axles, clutch failures and the likes

Constant mesh boxes are very reliable. When I drove the first synchromesh ZF Ecosplit 16spd around Lake Constance in Germany in the early 1980s I thought it was "the next thing". Largely constant mesh boxes still rule WW
Thanks for the info Doug. What kind of gross weights do those road trains usually have?

I'm talking about regular OTR trucks that only run 80K or less.I'm seeing many 550+hp engines and 18 speeds in these trucks and thats just not needed with 80K.

Sure in NV where they pull tripples a 18 may be needed but these are fruit trucks and such.
I agree there, 80,000lb gross doesn't really need 550hp to pull it, I think its all about bragging rights. Up here, I haul gravel with a tri-axle lead with a 3 axle pony-pup grossing 136,000lbs. The boss specs 550hp with the Cats and 565hp with the Cummins. He says he gets better fuel milage running higher horsepower, so thats why he does it. The Cummins ISX 565 motors seem to do a it better than the Cat engines in fuel milage for some reason. I like the way the Cummins pulls, but not how they shift.

Hi,
xxch4osxx - Typical Road Train gross mass limits on certain public are from 79000kkg to 115500kkg depending on the overall length limits

Private roads and certain public roads see higher limits in place under certain operational Permits

No vehicle can exceed its Manufacturer's plated limits and this is where the startability/gradeability requirements are certified

I was one of a few who pioneered the use of "B" doubles here in OZ. There was a lot of oposition to their use on public roads. We set the early technical and operational standards and did the operational testing before their use was granted "as a matter of right" after all Standards are met

They are now a very common OTR configuration. I never had any in my own Fleet due to operational requirements

I agree there, 80,000lb gross doesn't really need 550hp to pull it, I think its all about bragging rights. Up here, I haul gravel with a tri-axle lead with a 3 axle pony-pup grossing 136,000lbs. The boss specs 550hp with the Cats and 565hp with the Cummins. He says he gets better fuel milage running higher horsepower, so thats why he does it. The Cummins ISX 565 motors seem to do a it better than the Cat engines in fuel milage for some reason. I like the way the Cummins pulls, but not how they shift.
I used to pull 80,000 lbs with a 300hp L10 Cummins and a 10sp. Man I hated that truck but it did the job every day for many years.

From there I went to a 430hp Series 60 which was plenty of power for all but the big hills .

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back