Valvoline vs. Pennzoil Conventional (PYB)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: johnsmellsalot
I'm wondering which oil returns better used oil analyses.

You can't compare UOA's on different oils.

/Thread

Originally Posted By: OVERK1LL

/Thread

Isn't that like saying you can't compare which medicine works better overall in a medical study. I'm sure we could compile all the UOAs on the two oils and do an ANOVA test to determine if there is a difference.

Originally Posted By: Big_Kat

/Thread

Isn't that like saying you can't compare which medicine works better overall in a medical study. I'm sure we could compile all the UOAs on the two oils and do an ANOVA test to determine if there is a difference.

No, because unless you are going to be doing tear-downs (real data) the "data" you end up with is meaningless.

You can perform VOA's and speculate as to an oil's potential capabilities/strengths. You can compare TBN retention and determine which oil is the longest lasting and perhaps base your oil choice (I can run this oil longer!) on that. But you can't compare which oil is giving you the "best protection" without actual wear data, something that cannot be extracted from UOA's. It requires tear-downs and actual measurements.

Although I've never been a big fan of Valvoline and it looks "weak", it returns surprisingly good UOA's. There does seem to be more than meets the eye when it comes to the quality of the oil based on the UOA's vs. the info. one sees on paper. My choice in a conventional oil has always been PYB but any of these will serve well. I also like the specs and UOA's I've seen for Quaker State.

Originally Posted By: oilmaven
Although I've never been a big fan of Valvoline and it looks "weak", it returns surprisingly good UOA's. There does seem to be more than meets the eye when it comes to the quality of the oil based on the UOA's vs. the info. one sees on paper. My choice in a conventional oil has always been PYB but any of these will serve well. I also like the specs and UOA's I've seen for Quaker State.

...and it smells good, too!
thumbsup2.gif

Seriously!
grin2.gif

I am on a Nissan forum and my engine the 35VQDE is tough on shearing oil. All of us pooled our UOA's to find out which oils performed better. Most oils sheared out of grade. Castrols did the best with GTX out performing many of the synthetics.

Granted not many engines are as hard on oil as the 35VQDE. Although it is every mans perogative to compare and purchase whatever they want.

Based solely on comparing the additives used (see the most recent PQIA test results), and the fact that I have an engine that seems to prefer a higher content of Moly in the oil, I would go with PYB.

When I find a product I'm happy with, I stick with it. Most of my Subaru's life has been on SOPUS oils.

Last edited by a moderator:
Originally Posted By: Merkava_4
Yes you can.

/OVERK1LL

crackmeup2.gif
lol.gif

Prove it. Show me multiple long term UOA reports over many years, then the tear-down data and measurements to prove that a "normal" UOA with metals in the 1 and 2 digit ppm's can accurately measure wear.

Otherwise, you're just trolling.

No, every ANOVA test I've seen in this forum has been worthless. There are a dozen control variables that are all over the place. Obviously no one has the same engine, climate, OCI, driving style... it's impossible.

But to make matters even worse, the results of a UOA don't directly correlate with the wear on an engine because they only extremely fine particles. Anything large enough to catch in a filter won't show up in a UOA.

As to PYB vs Valvoline, the Valvoline VOA's always look bland. But it always performs well. I've never seen UOA's that would push me one way or another. I have seen sales/rebates that have, though.

It's pretty amazing that UOAs can be used to compare one brand of oil vs another, yet when you bring up that UOAs look pretty much the same, in synthetic vs conventional thread, all of the sudden UOAs are not reliable. Which one is it?

People will use whatever info they can, as long as it supports their view, facts and logic be [censored].

Originally Posted By: bepperb
No, every ANOVA test I've seen in this forum has been worthless. There are a dozen control variables that are all over the place. Obviously no one has the same engine, climate, OCI, driving style... it's impossible.

That's the point. But, according to Merkava the problem with every engine on this forum is that they need to step up at least 1 grade of oil. If they only did that they would remove all wear from the equation and until then, they're destroying their engine.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back