VQ37VHR UOA question

Status
Not open for further replies.
mw09g37-albums-09-g37sedan-picture12580-untitled.jpg

so I had a question i'm at 22355mi here and my iron levels are still 38 ppm. According to the lab that this rate is a little on the slow side... how long does it normally take and should i be concerned that my iron ppm levels are still pretty high after 8 oil changes? this was generated using the nissan ester.

I have since switched to the mobil 1 and i'll run another analysis after the second oil change with mobil 1. although i've also heard that this engine will burn pure synthetic oil...

Last edited:
I have a 2007 VQ40. I have always used Mobil 1 since new and now have 41,000 miles on the engine. No oil issues!! Burns no oil over 5,000 mile change intervals (low due to engine warranty). I do believe your VQ has the plastic secondary chain tensioners like mine. They can wear through and the chain can hit metal. Listen for a high pitched "siren-like" sound at the front of the engine. If this occurs, your iron levels will go up.

Nissan engines, like GM engines, often show higher metal numbers than other makes. I wouldn't be concerned about that at all. It doesn't mean shorter engine life at all.

Does your VQ use any oil? Mine used about a quart @16k miles and half a quart @19k, both 3k oci. Trying to get a feel for what others are getting.

epinox - welcome to the site!

Your Fe is coming down, and the other wear metals are fine, so I'd say the trend is good, although the Fe is high for 3k mile OCIs.

What oil have you been usings up to this point? If a syn, the Fe might still be a bit of break in?

Since you're going to M1, you should consider extended OCIs. I would expect that the OEM OCI is 7.5k miles, and so you will have to go way past that for you to achieve a decent ROI. If you're not going to do that, then just use a decent conventional oil and rest well.

Last edited:
He is using Nissan Ester oil.

I commend your decision to move into at least a semi-synthetic like Mobil 1. Everything seems to be trending down, but your oil has sheared just out of spec every single time you've done a UOA. The last UOA's viscosity was a SOLID 20 weight oil and you actually ran the oil for 500 miles less.

I wouldn't worry about anything just yet. You should continue to monitor the wear numbers with the Mobil 1 to set a Mobil 1 trend.

Quote:
cSt Viscosity 7.76 @ 100C

That's what killing your engine right there. The oil is too thin to provide a lubricative barrier between metal surfaces.

thanks for all the replies!

sorry for the delay, couldn't remember my new password...

I haven't found the engine burning oil as of yet. I was expecting to be adding a 1/4 qt or something with the mobil 1 but it looks pretty good so far.

Up until this UOA i was using the nissan ester, then I switched to M1 cause i was concerned about the viscosity numbers as indicated. I've done one oil change with m1 since then and am going to do a UOA on this oil on January.

From what I've seen, the ester oil seems to have low viscosity for everyone with this engine... They don't offer a higher weight... should I consider a heavier weight oil?

I guess I can attribute most of that iron to the break in period... but at 22k and 8 oil changes later, I would hope that the break in period would've been over already... the numbers being high concerns me a little bit because I change oil fairly frequently (every 3 months) (I don't pay for it the dealership does)

ok so what I'm taking home is that this next UOA with M1 is going to be a huge indicator... drat... should've changed earlier. Should've stuck to my guns with the oil moving away from the ester oil earlier...

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Merkava_4

That's what killing your engine right there. The oil is too thin to provide a lubricative barrier between metal surfaces.

I wouldn't say its killing the engine...Cr. is 0.

I think you are fine but a heavier oil wouldn't hurt.

Originally Posted By: epionx
should I consider a heavier weight oil?

Yes ... a heavier oil and something entirely different than what you've been using.

Your trend is what I expect to be normal for break in.

I have 3x your engine mileage and my iron levels are still higher than yours.

I think the question at this point is whether or not the nissan ester is even worth using... They pretty much forced it on everyone because of their VVEL saying that you needed to use the ester oil or else you're going to get clicking noise... which they eventually figured out it was a timing issue. I mean if it's a inferior oil even compared to the most basic of dino oil.. i mean isn't this a class action lawsuit?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back