Coolant leak, Intake or head gasket? (350 Chevy)

Status
Not open for further replies.
My '92 Chevy engine (C-1500 truck) is leaking antifreeze near the intake manifold. This is on the left-hand side where the intake manifold bolts to the head (there's coolant on the manifold). Would this be a bad intake manifold gasket, or head gasket? I'm guessing it's just the manifold gasket. Your thoughts?

Also check the thermostat housing gasket. They can leak on these engines and cause a pooling around the intake manifold.

Intake....If you don't want to invest alot in the engine,try bar's leak copper .Not silver .Not pellets .Copper ..Head and manifold sealer .Or tear it down and replace the Intake to head(LIM) gasket.BTW..Look for corroded fittings that may be leaking while you're there.Hope this helps.
P.S...Don't forget about the heater hose fittings,one left me scratching my head awhile.The Wye on the, or near the heater bypass.

Last edited:
Intake manifold gasket. The spot you mention is where they leak on these trucks. Very common. Also very easy (and cheap) to replace. Don't skimp out, spend the afternoon and just do it in the garage. There's nothing complicated about replacing it.

Thanks everyone. Thought I was done with repairs for the year, lol. Never done one before, but I think I can handle it.

More then likely intake manifold. A bad head gasket is very unlikely to cause a leak there. Like cchase, mentioned, it's an afternoon job.

I'd double check my oil, to see if there is any antifreeze in it. I'm assuming your going to change the oil after the intake manifold gasket, so just keep an eye on it for the next few days.

Some intake manifold kits include a gasket for the lifter valley and some just include a tube of sealant. Just use the sealant, the gasket tend to slide out or move. If your set on using the lifter valley gaskets, may want to either rough up the surfaces a bit with some course steel wool or use a punch to put some "dimples" on the block and intake surfaces.

Determine that the head gasket is not leaking by using a block tester like this:
http://www.lislecorp.com/divisions/products/?product=406

It is still fresh on my mind when I fixed the intake gaskets on a GM 3.1 V6, AND THEN the HG leaked.

I don't encounter many Chevy TBI engines anymore, so I don't know if there exists a "Fel-Pro Problem Solver" gasket, but if one exists, buy it. It will outlast an OE gasket.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back