Silicone spray

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey all. I'm wondering what you use silicone spray for. I bought a can to use on the weatherstrip in my trunk since I checked my spare and found water in the wheel well.

I've never had a can before and all I really knew about it was that some BITOG members said they used in on weatherstrip before. I've been using armor all type prodcuts on rubber.

Is this stuff just a super concentrated armor all type conditioner?

I've used it for many things but mostly for the track on glass sliding doors on the patio, the track for the overhead garage door, automatic garden hose retrieval unit. Works well for things where you don't want oil or grease but you still need lubrication.

I have used a few brands over the years. I don't use it on weatherstrip though.

I have used some brands that seem like a milky oil. The Amsoil stuff sprays clear and seems to go on real light. I normally use it on stuff that has plastic involved. I would say plastic on metal, or rubber type stuff is what it's best used on.

Hood and trunk lock/latch release, and cable. Gargee door track, key tumbler for locks, hinges on doors inside of buildings, hood hinges, metal flap valve in small air pump, and kick down linkage.

CRC makes a good one called "Heavy Duty Silicone Spray"
Be careful because some of the brands are questionable, for instance I once bought a can of Liquid Wrench brand silicone spray and it had a distinct oily smell and appearance to it. The good stuff will be crystal clear and not have a petroleum or oily smell to it. I've bought many brands looking for a good one and the CRC is one of the best.
A word of caution about silicone sprays. The propellant used in them is really harsh. The liquid carrier is capable of dissolving some plasics and finishes. Be sure to allow time for this volatile carrier to evaporate before wiping. I once removed the dye from a Mustangs dash when I was using silicone spray as an Armor-All substitute. Like you said, its the silicone in Armor-All that does the work. But on this Mustang dash I sprayed it on heavy in one area and then wiped it with small rag to "distribute" it. Well, the carrier liquid dissolved the gray dash dye and where I wiped it, it exposed the base color of the plastic dash (tan.)
This carrier liquid is really harsh so keep that in mind. As long as you give the carrier a little time to evaporate, you'll be fine.

When you want to test a silicone spray, spray some on a styrofoam coffe cup. If it dissolves or softens the plastic cup, DO NOT spray it on anything plastic on your vehicle. As noted above, different manufacturers use different formulations and solvents to carry the silicone. Siicone molecules are, by the way, more linear than hydrocarbon molecyules (oil) and therefore do not make good lubricants to prevent metal to metal contact. It is why silicone fluids are not used as motor oil, for example.

Auto Zone used to carry a silicone spray in a blue can that worked well for protecting parts after machine work. Now that they don't have it anymore I use MMO in a spray bottle for parts.

You can use silicone spray for around the house stuff as it is a very light lube. I have a can out in the shop that has been sitting for a few years after I used it to put a rear window in a S10 P/U. Tire shine?

I use it on anything rubber, or things that can't be all greasy. Ashtray on our VW Bus, rear slider window track on the truck. Sunroof track on my wife's car. Door hinges in the house. Seems to help ice from sticking to the door seal rubber strips.

Use it as a light duty lube on things that need to stay clean.

I use it on car door weatherstrips and locks to combat ice. Also works well on vinyl windows in the house.

Does really good at lubricating windows in old houses with paint buildup. Makes them go up and down real slick.

fyi, dont use this stuff if you cant handle the fumes for a few days-to a week.

I'm still smelling my trunk's weatherstrip and I just sprayed my office chair out side and now its almost unbearable. I almost enjoy gear oil better than this.

I spray my warm exhaust with it in late Fall. I don't know if it actually does any good but I feel like I'm doing somthing productive.

Use silicone for lube/clean door lock on house/auto. Bought Liquid Wrench brand and it foams when using and leaves the mention oily residue behind. Will use it on garage door track and snow blower only.
Bought CRC HD Silicone to replace LW and it was $1.00 cheaper.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back