Is GMC REALLY built better than Chevrolet?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: exranger06
No. Why do you think they are?

Commercials, brand difference (?) and my GMC is really holding up amazingly, im actually super proud of it. Three different people depend on my truck exclusively, it gets used multiple times EVERY DAY, it is in near-perfect condition, gets driven from seconds after turn-key for months straight, over railroad tracks every day, holds up without a flaw, handles use amazingly well, and aside from sold cold engine rattle that goes away when hot and a strange transmission whine, im really impressed. (It is the 2003 GMC Envoy XL and it is incredible.)

Most Chevys i have had have squeaks and rattles.
?

They are made nose to tail on the same lines.I have seen Chevys with GMC tailgates,horn pads,right from the factory.The workers have a hard time keeping track of which its supposed to be.The last truely different GMCs were the V6 305 powered models back in the 60s...that was an engine not shared with "lowly" Chevrolet.What may make you think GMC is better,is the slightly higher base price,and on some models,slighly higher standard equipment.Plus,I think the GMC nose on the pickups is head and shoulders above the horrid Chevy nose.

Perception matters, so a GMC owner who spent more bucks on his car vs. an identical Chevy will subconsciously perceive the GMC as "better"

I just dont get it. The "We are professional grade" commercials, and all the commercials with the engineers talking about how the trucks were great, etc. (Also, the Envoy XL i cant think of what its "twin" is. its really great. Aside from that whine, and the cold engine sound. Conventional 10W-30 or 5W-30, i think. Might be 10W might be 5W it IS 30weight and it IS conventional.)

I also heard the suspensions were more Heavy-Duty standard. Also i have heard the "its a little bit better" elitist angle. Question is: Why...

GM just restructured and KEPT GMC which to me seems super-duper redundant, so, explain. (They did a pretty good job with Chevy/Caddy/Buick, so why GMC. Chevy is the sport, replaces "Pontiac" and Caddy/Buick can do slightly upscale vs upscale. Good job so far.)

Originally Posted By: 45ACP
?

I am starting to think it is. I always thought it wasnt.

No.

The ONLY differences are a few pieces of plastic trim, they are built on the exact line, and same platform.

99.98% the same vehicle.

GM just restructured and KEPT GMC which to me seems super-duper redundant, so, explain. (They did a pretty good job with Chevy/Caddy/Buick, so why GMC. Chevy is the sport, replaces "Pontiac" and Caddy/Buick can do slightly upscale vs upscale. Good job so far.)

they are redundant, but they're profitable. for not really any extra expense on GM's part, since they are using Chevy platforms, engines, transmissions, etc, they can build vehicles that sell for more than their Chevrolet counterparts. and people buy them. it baffles me but it works. that's why they kept them around.

And don't try to get any warranty service done on a GMC at a Chevy dealer! Since GMC dealers are more scarce than Chevy dealers, this can be a real pain when travelling if you need warranty service.

There can be some differences it seems. For example, I was at the auto show last year and was comparing the acadia to the ranier, which are supposed to be the same vehicle. Well, apparently the size, rating, etc. of certain parts like AT coolers will differ by model.

Obviously the body is different outside, and while some corporae switchgear is identical, lots of other internal parts are different.

From there, it is all about specifying better or worse materials and components. The GMC may well have slightly better specifications for some parts.

Would the actual engine, AT, etc be different? Likely not. But other stuff, even exhaust, PS system (effects handling and desired driving feel), coolers, radiators, etc. may differ somewhat, and may effect down the line.

Would I expect a different MTBF in a commodity part like an engine between the acadia and traverse, for example, if use is the same. But would the dash crack at the same rate with same UV flux? seat cloth wear the same? Maybe not. Materials may differ and be of different quality levels.

I just dont get it. The "We are professional grade" commercials, and all the commercials with the engineers talking about how the trucks were great, etc.

That's something called "marketing" and it has little basis in reality. It's meant to make you feel like something ordinary is something special, and clearly it often works. I would suggest that if you must watch television you should at least ignore commercials.

I just dont get it. The "We are professional grade" commercials, and all the commercials with the engineers talking about how the trucks were great, etc. (Also, the Envoy XL i cant think of what its "twin" is. its really great. Aside from that whine, and the cold engine sound. Conventional 10W-30 or 5W-30, i think. Might be 10W might be 5W it IS 30weight and it IS conventional.)

I also heard the suspensions were more Heavy-Duty standard. Also i have heard the "its a little bit better" elitist angle. Question is: Why...

There's nothing special about the way any new GMC is bolted together. It's getting the same quality control as any Silverado going down the same assembly line. Since the 1970s the only differences between Chevy and GMC trucks have been packaging and a handful of unique models (like the Syclone/Typhoon).

Into the 1960s GMC had some of its own engines and a lot of heavy duty commercial products, like buses. That's what the brand image of "professional grade" was built on. When light trucks became popular as personal vehicles, GM divisions without light trucks wanted something to sell in that category. Chevy trucks branded as GMCs fit the bill.

The Chevy's are better because there are more dealerships to work on them. LOL

2007 Silverado: "New body style"

Originally Posted By: Boomer
And don't try to get any warranty service done on a GMC at a Chevy dealer! Since GMC dealers are more scarce than Chevy dealers, this can be a real pain when travelling if you need warranty service.

That's bizarre. My Hyundai dealer does warranty work on KIAs. The really wild thing is my Hyundai dealer is part of the oldest "automotive group" in Orlando. They have a Mazda dealership across town. I was at my dealer recently for an oil change and there was a newer Mazda ahead of me for service.

So Chevy dealers won't do warranty service on GMC trucks? What happens to Saturn and Pontiac owners under warranty? I assumed that service was available at any GM dealership.

Originally Posted By: HyundaiGuy
Originally Posted By: Boomer

That's bizarre. My Hyundai dealer does warranty work on KIAs. The really wild thing is my Hyundai dealer is part of the oldest "automotive group" in Orlando. They have a Mazda dealership across town. I was at my dealer recently for an oil change and there was a newer Mazda ahead of me for service.

So Chevy dealers won't do warranty service on GMC trucks? What happens to Saturn and Pontiac owners under warranty? I assumed that service was available at any GM dealership.

That's not true, you can get service at any GM dealer for any GM product.

Why don't we ask GMBoy? He is after all, a manager on the assembly line where they build both Chevy and GMC products. Other than logos, a few sheetmetal changes, and other cosmetic changes (Cluster color for example), is there any appreciable difference between the GMC and Chevy? Are they really treated any different? My guess is no.

Originally Posted By: NHGUY
I have seen Chevys with GMC tailgates,horn pads,right from the factory.The workers have a hard time keeping track of which its supposed to be.
Oh come on now. QC let that pass? I worked at a GMC dealership and never saw that once.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back