Use of 5w20 in 2012 Civic

Status
Not open for further replies.
I bought a 2012 Civic Sedan this week. It's recommended oil is the 0w20 but can use 5w20 if I want. Because 0w is a synthetic, are there any possible negative implications (long term) if I was to use 5w conventional during the summer?

The reason I am asking is, I've got about 15 jugs of 5w in QS and PYB on my shelf that I would like to use up. My question has nothing to do with the cost of conventional vs syn.

This is a spare vehicle for us so I don't anticipate we are going to put a lot of miles on the car. Thank you in advance for your responses.

If you're not putting a lot of miles on the Civic, it's going to take a pretty long time to get through your stash.
grin2.gif

The 2012 engine is basically the same as the R18 in my 07 EX minus a few internal upgrades for improved anti friction to increase MPGs, hence the 0w20 oil to go along with it.

5w20 should be no problem in the summer. I've ran 5w30 in my EX during the summer and the UOA showed excellent results. no harm done to the engine.

Originally Posted By: Eddie
If the owners manual states that 5w20 is OK then you will have no warranty concerns.

The owner's manual states 0W-20, but IMHO it doesn't matter because: 1) within reason, it really doesn't matter what you run in a Honda engine; and 2) if you're really concerned about the potential of a later engine warranty claim -- virtually nil -- hang onto your receipts for 0W-20 and mix what you have with that until you've exhausted your 5W-20. (FWIW, I've been doing the latter w/5W-30 for years in three late-model Hondas.)

Last edited:
The 0-20 is available as a blend I think. Not full syn.,blend available along with the full syn. Check out H&A accessories they sell both blend and syn. here in NYC, oil change is $29 for bulk dino or $39 for 0-20 blend at the stealer.

I would use 0w-20 since it is a better oil. Slightly better fuel economy as well during warm-up.

My friend has 5500 on her 2012 Civic and is still on the factory fill. Computer is showing 50% oil life remaining and there is some nasty grit built-up on the cross-hatch area of the dipstick.

In relative terms, it seems the 5W20, being so "new", is all of a sudden somewhat obsolete and is being replaced by 0W20 all for the sake of a few MPGs. Not saying it's a bad thing unless it's costing people considerably more for each oil change they do -- that's when I have a problem with it. Example: 2010 Lexus RX oil change is around $60, unless you have a 2011 -- the price jumps to $90 at the dealership. Both have the exact same engines. I'm not sure if the $30 extra for 0W in the 2011 will translate into the cost savings at the pump seeing that all models sold in Canada have a 5k OCI requirement.

I think I will try to use as much of the 5W as I can in both my Lexus and Civic during the summer. I don't anticipate it will affect the MPG by a whole lot anyway.

On a side note, I checked the prices at the Honda dealership on oil changes. The cost difference between a 5W and a 0W oil change is about $13, which is reasonable, IMO.

Firestone and Honda use oil from Conoco. Firestone uses the blend with Titanium, Honda uses a 0-20 Blend without Titanium. Both made by Conoco. The Firestone oil change with coupon is $19 with filter. Not such a great deal!! this Honda oil blend??

Originally Posted By: ottotheclown
Firestone and Honda use oil from Conoco. Firestone uses the blend with Titanium, Honda uses a 0-20 Blend without Titanium. Both made by Conoco. The Firestone oil change with coupon is $19 with filter. Not such a great deal!! this Honda oil blend??

Firestone only stocks Kendall GT-1 5w-30.

Originally Posted By: ottotheclown
The 0-20 is available as a blend I think. Not full syn.,blend available along with the full syn. Check out H&A accessories they sell both blend and syn. here in NYC, oil change is $29 for bulk dino or $39 for 0-20 blend at the stealer.

In Canada the Honda/Acura 0W-20 is made by Idemitsu; it's a full synthetic, has a 200 VI and a boatload of moly.

The manual states 0w20, so I'd stick with that if I were you. Do not be afraid of 0w20, it's better than 5w20 in many ways and the price of the Honda 0w20 at the dealers up here isn't that much higher than the price of 5w20 conventionals!

Originally Posted By: Patman
The manual states 0w20, so I'd stick with that if I were you. Do not be afraid of 0w20, it's better than 5w20 in many ways and the price of the Honda 0w20 at the dealers up here isn't that much higher than the price of 5w20 conventionals!

I have no problems using the 0W. In fact, I've got 10 jugs of M1 0W20 but I only wanted to use up the 15 jugs of 5W that I already have in my stash. If I don't use up the 5W, I'll never get rid of it cause I will soon not have any vehicles that "require" it!

I probably shouldn't have bought so much 5W, but I used to own a 2010 Hyundai Tucson, but got rid of it for reasons that requires a whole new thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back