Old School Ford Big Block 428 vs 429

Status
Not open for further replies.
So I am thinking of picking up a 67 Galaxie hardtop as a project car. Has most of the body work done and comes with a motor and trans. Its a 390 with a C6. But since its a big car I was thinking of dropping a bigger motor in it. Always been more of a GM guy and almost all my Ford engine experience is with Windsor motors. So I was thinking either a 428 or a 429. I know the 428 is more period correct but I dont really care about that. Just want to know which one will give me more bang for the buck and give the best reliability and fit in this old land yacht.

Thanks.

Originally Posted By: 2oldtommy
I'm not a Ford guy, but I believe a 460 cu/in will fit. FWIW--Oldtommy

I know a 460 will if a 429 will, but I don't need that many cubes. The 429 and the 460 are the same engine platform. I know where to get either the motors I mentioned, but don't have a line on a good 460.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Zaedock
Throw a 428 crank into the 390 and make a 410.

Well both the 390 and the 428 I have a line on would need to be rebuilt.

I have owned a 1963 427 Galaxy and a 1970 Torino CJ 429. I think the FE is the better motor. The round port 429 never lived up to my expectations. There was, in the late 60s, a version of the 428 that had a forged crankshaft and big valves in free breathing heads, the 428 SCJ. It was a very powerful, reliable motor. I would build one like that. Incidentally, there was a 390 version that came in the Fairlane GT. It had the good heads and was curiously rated at 335hp, 10 hp less than a standard 390. Those 390/335hp ran very well; far better than the 345 hp version. A 390 might be worthy of your consideration.

yeah I am going to run the numbers on the 428 and 429 to figure what it is out of. I am hearing of possible oiling issues on the 429/460 where they can throw rear main bearings cause they oil last. Any truth to this?

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Robenstein
yeah I am going to run the numbers on the 428 and 429 to figure what it is out of. I am hearing of possible oiling issues on the 429/460 where they can throw rear main bearings cause they oil last. Any truth to this?

The FE 385 engines are very strong. The BOSS 429 is an FE engine and can grow to 820+ci and make 2200HP N/A
grin.gif

Jon Kaase is a big fan of these engines:

http://www.jonkaaseracingengines.com/products/engines/600-ford/70-600-ford.html

598ford.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
The Boss 429 is a Lima/385 series engine, not an FE like the 427/428.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Boss_429

I had a brain-[censored], yes, the 429/460 are 385 engines, whilst the 427/428 are FE engines. The Kaase engine I linked to is a 385-series engine. Too late to edit my post now
frown.gif

LOL. We all get a case of cerebral gas here and there. If I had the money, I would so go for the 429 Kaase BOSS heads on the 429, but on a lowly first year professor salary (which sucks for 8 years of college) I will have to wait if I get this car.

If I would not get flamed to high heaven, I would just drop one of my spare 375hp Chevy 396 motors in it with a TH350 trans.

Last edited:
LOL. We all get a case of cerebral gas here and there. If I had the money, I would so go for the 429 Kaase heads on the 429, but on a lowly first year professor salary (which sucks for 8 years of college) I will have to wait if I get this car.

If I would not get flamed to high heaven, I would just drop one of my spare 375hp Chevy 396 motors in it with a TH350 trans.

But you would get flamed, I know, because I'd be carrying a torch
grin.gif

I've asked somebody to edit my post, LOL, I feel like a tool!

A 427 SOHC would be an interesting Unicorn to drop in there if you magically had a large financial windfall
grin.gif

Working at a community college, that is unlikely unless I get lucky and win the powerball or find a sugar momma.

Working at a community college, that is unlikely unless I get lucky and win the powerball or find a sugar momma.

What are you teaching? (yes, I'm affecting thread direction, LOL)

You CAN build a pretty cheap 460 though, from what I recall. Some cheap aluminum heads, E-bay intake...etc.

History. Im trying to get the college to actually teach geography since most kids nowadays can't find anything on a map.

Or.....READ, WRITE, SPELL, and DO BASIC MATH !!!!!!
Best wishes on your teaching endeavors, we don't have enough
folks like you these days...............

Yeah that is true. I grew up in a house where English was spoken intermittently, and I can even write better than some of these kids nowadays.

I seriously said to my students back in my teaching assistant days that my grandfather shot 14 krauts at Wounded Knee. Every one of em believed it. Sad...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back