saturn front end noise

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've had this noise for awhile and cannot seem to figure it out. I only hear it going over gravel roads and you feel the movement in the steering wheel. It kinda sounds like a strut mount thumping but they are new as are struts and the whole front end is tight. I checked ball joints tierods sway bar and links control arm struts . Everything thing I see is good. So does anyone have an idea what to even look for?

It's your ball joints, they are hard to check with the suspension drooped as you get fresh material against the socket. Even if you get in there and pry they can fool you.

They usually go out at 150-175k.

If they are bad wouldn't they have play? It's not that noticeable you can't feel it in the floor of the car like you can with ball joints it feels like its comings up straight from the steering.

They may seem tight but will clunk. Put two new control arms on there (new bushings and ball joints are included).

I thought that was the only real way of doing it. They are rock solid. No play. I went out and checked tonight and am going to replace outer tierods I have the tiniest amount of play but its definetly not my noise. It kinda feels like its coming from the steering arm itself honestly.

I had a hard to find front end noise on my 96 SL2 2 years ago. It ended up being the lower control arm was sliding back and forth on the bolt that holds it to the engine cradle. I ended up getting a bigass pair of channelocks and squeezing the metal together. No more sliding, no more noise.

That was it for me at least.

Did you replace the front struts or someone else? I would check that the bearing at the top of the strut is new and is tightened to spec. Check to see if the sway bar bushings are present and in good shape. These are easy to replace and on some cars go missing.

I did the struts and mount and bearing plate . It's all new. Maybe its all the olastic that the car is made out of rattling around
smile.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back