Shell vs Mobil/Exxon

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi all,

I'm deciding on a new fuel for my 2011 corolla I will be getting in about a week.

These are the only top-tier stations in my area, with a few more Mobil than Shell stations. However, I hear Shell is better, because it has PEAs, is it true? I don't think Mobil has PEAs and I heard PBAs can actually cause their own deposits...

So I was thinking
-Shell whenever I can as soon as I see 1/2 tank
-Mobil/Exxon if I need it

-Anything else on my long trips that has a brand name, then Shell afterwards (top off before trip).

Thoughts?

If it's Top Tier, I sincerely doubt it'll go badly for you. We're not talking about Joe's Gas Shack here.

My fill ends up being about 50% Exxon/Mobil, 40% Shell, and 10% other name brand (when I can't find either of the other two).

I only know Chevron has some Techron cleaner as an additive and thus its a PEA additive. Not sure about Shell. I doubt PEAs have deposits as techron is about the best cleaner you can add to your gas. Mobil has good gas also.

I also like to see how new the pumping area looks. Thus how new and clean his tanks might be.

Over thinking this a little bit.

Buy gas at a gas station that sees a lot of business. Fresh gas is more important than tier this or PEA that.

My 2005 Corolla has close to 225,000 miles on it and sees gas when the light comes on. Never had a problem with it, runs great, still get well over 40 mpg and passes smog with ease.

1986 Jetta with 394,000 miles on it. Ran fine to the end and never had an injector off of it.

Those are 2 examples of just buying gas and getting on with it.

Take care and enjoy the new ride.

Bill

I use Shell whenever I can but sometimes even use Arco or other lower tier fuels (although most of the time I alternate with Vons, Costco, 76). You should have no problems if all you plan to use is Shell and/or Mobil/Exxon. If no top tier fuel is available you can always use Techron, Regane, MMO, etc. as a supplement, when necessary.

Originally Posted By: d00df00d
If it's Top Tier, I sincerely doubt it'll go badly for you. We're not talking about Joe's Gas Shack here.

My fill ends up being about 50% Exxon/Mobil, 40% Shell, and 10% other name brand (when I can't find either of the other two).

Quoted for truth.

How many of those miles were on E10? I have to wonder if the VW would have such reliability running ethanol laced fuel.
I get a lot of VW injectors with flow issues but not many Toyota's, the cars that get the most use seem to have the least amount of issues.

Originally Posted By: Bill in Utah

Buy gas at a gas station that sees a lot of business. Fresh gas is more important than tier this or PEA that.

My 2005 Corolla has close to 225,000 miles on it and sees gas when the light comes on. Never had a problem with it, runs great, still get well over 40 mpg and passes smog with ease.

1986 Jetta with 394,000 miles on it. Ran fine to the end and never had an injector off of it.

Bill

I know it might not be as important for regular cars, requiring regular gas but it's a different story for an engine requiring 93 Octane.

I once filled up at a clean looking gas station without a name brand, in the middle of nowhere and literally as soon as i felt the gas station, my engine was bucking and shuddering, not able to rev past 3,500 rpm (Limp Mode) with a Check Engine light.

I had to Limp it for the next 300 miles, fill up with decent gas, run that tank dry. Then i finally got home where i added either Redline or Amsoil fuel system cleaners for the next several tanks of gas as the engine slowly began to get back to normal.

I don't know what was in that gas, or whether it was even 93 Octane but after that incident that could have cost me my modified Engine, I only fill up @ 90% Shell and 10% other name brand gas stations.

Just my
49.gif

My mustang(4.6 bored and stroked to 5.1,9.5-1 compression) runs best off shell v-power here in Saskatchewan however when I go to British Columbia I buy chevron. The car runs like a rocket with chevron premium.
The Harley is picky too so shell premium for it as well. My chev 4x4 doesn't care what goes in it so I go to co-op

Originally Posted By: Trav
How many of those miles were on E10? I have to wonder if the VW would have such reliability running ethanol laced fuel.
I get a lot of VW injectors with flow issues but not many Toyota's, the cars that get the most use seem to have the least amount of issues.

It spent its last 100k miles in California and their reformulated "stuff" they call gas.

But for the majority of the close to 300k miles from April to November it saw normal fuels. We used to have OXY fuel Nov 1st till April 1st.

The fuel here is now up to 10% ethanol except the "clean" fuel at some stations which is premium only.

Agree that driving a vehicle is MUCH better than it sitting ( sadly something that my 2004 GMC does) but if you are putting so much "bad" fuel (which some members here call anything other than top tier "bad") through the injectors would not I see deposits and other drive ability issues?

Originally Posted By: Artem

I know it might not be as important for regular cars, requiring regular gas but it's a different story for an engine requiring 93 Octane.

I once filled up at a clean looking gas station without a name brand, in the middle of nowhere and literally as soon as i felt the gas station, my engine was bucking and shuddering, not able to rev past 3,500 rpm (Limp Mode) with a Check Engine light.

I had to Limp it for the next 300 miles, fill up with decent gas, run that tank dry. Then i finally got home where i added either Redline or Amsoil fuel system cleaners for the next several tanks of gas as the engine slowly began to get back to normal.

I don't know what was in that gas, or whether it was even 93 Octane but after that incident that could have cost me my modified Engine, I only fill up @ 90% Shell and 10% other name brand gas stations.

Just my
49.gif

But the ORIGINAL poster asking the question has a 2011 Corolla. Hardly something that NEEDS premium.

So ALL of our comments should be answering HIS question.

Also another reason why I stay away from vehicles that NEED premium.

I'm sure getting bad fuel is something that happens here and there. Thankfully in your case it did not cause any damage. And when on the road its hard to know what is doing a lot of sales. Back in 2009 we drove across the US (almost 6000 miles in 15 days) and everything I bought ran fine.

And trust me the Subaru would let you know if you got anything less than good. It would ping at times with a little shake at idle.

Take care, bill

Originally Posted By: Bill in Utah

Bill

Bingo! I can't tell you how many times I have seen the same fuel truck at several name brand gas stations in my town...

"Bingo! I can't tell you how many times I have seen the same fuel truck at several name brand gas stations in my town..."

If you are suggesting that there is no difference between gasoline and in your area they are all getting the same regardless of brand, then I would make a call. The misrepresentation as you described is no small matter.

Another possibility is the same tanker delivers to independents and name brand stations carrying different gas at different times. Delivers to the independents, goes back to the rack, loads up with gasoline with Chevrons additives, delivers that, then Shell etc.

Originally Posted By: smc733
Hi all,

I'm deciding on a new fuel for my 2011 corolla I will be getting in about a week.

These are the only top-tier stations in my area, with a few more Mobil than Shell stations. However, I hear Shell is better, because it has PEAs, is it true? I don't think Mobil has PEAs and I heard PBAs can actually cause their own deposits...

So I was thinking
-Shell whenever I can as soon as I see 1/2 tank
-Mobil/Exxon if I need it

-Anything else on my long trips that has a brand name, then Shell afterwards (top off before trip).

Thoughts?

smc733,

Both gasolines you mentioned are considered to be Top Tier but you should know that Shell gas isn't really mad by Shell. That part of the business is owned and made by Tesorio as I heard it. Mobil is still mad by Mobil.

Shell gas has their additive called "Nirogen" enriched and Mobil gas as I hear it has the most PEA additive in their product.

Mail Clerk

I've seen lots of fuel trucks filling up stations around here, but I've never seen this "same trucks going to many stations" that get described ad nauseum on the internet.

The Gulf stations have a big Gulf truck, the Mobil stations have a big Mobil truck. I've never seen a Mobil truck sitting at a Gulf station.

A station (Shell or Mobil) that advertises having that gas and (as some claim) just has generic gas would be illegal. I doubt it happens.

Originally Posted By: cchase
I've seen lots of fuel trucks filling up stations around here, but I've never seen this "same trucks going to many stations" that get described ad nauseum on the internet.

The Gulf stations have a big Gulf truck, the Mobil stations have a big Mobil truck. I've never seen a Mobil truck sitting at a Gulf station.

A station (Shell or Mobil) that advertises having that gas and (as some claim) just has generic gas would be illegal. I doubt it happens.
I understand that you have never seen that before, but just because you haven't seen it doesn't mean it's not true. I've personally (no reason to lie, not like I'm getting paid lol)seen one truck to go a Cheveron gas station and then to a Big Cat station here in Alabama.

Originally Posted By: NightRiderQ45
Originally Posted By: cchase

I understand that you have never seen that before, but just because you haven't seen it doesn't mean it's not true. I've personally (no reason to lie, not like I'm getting paid lol)seen one truck to go a Cheveron gas station and then to a Big Cat station here in Alabama.

That just tells me that a particular station purchased Chevron gas. It may not mean that they always use it. It certainly doesn't mean that the Chevron station is using sub-par fuel or even non-Chevron fuel.

There are a few scenarios where the same truck could be carrying different gas for different stations. Best case scenario if they are not is Big Cat is getting Chevron gasoline. Worse case scenario and one that should be reported is Chevron getting Big Cat(generic) gasoline.

I can see in smaller markets there might not be enough business for Gulf, Chevron etc to have their own fleet of trucks, but use independents to deliver their gasoline. I cannot see a major using generic gasoline and putting their name and charging their prices. Could happen but IMO would cost them $$$$ if turned in.

Interesting input...

Since there are a ton of Mobil stations up here, and they all are pretty active, I will try to stick to Mobil, but not worry if I can't. Much easier to find than Shell. I didn't know Mobil had PEAs in the gas.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back