PCV Valve - how often

Status
Not open for further replies.
Is the PCV Valve something that needs replaced regularly? Also; if the PCV valve becomes clogged or needs replacing will is cause a code or check engine light?

Reason for my questions: Having no issues with my cars but at their last service I received a recommendation that on each that I replace the PCV valve. When questioned I was told it was based on mileage not an actual test or diagnostic.

2008 Corolla; 73,000 miles, Pennzoil Platinum or Ultra synthetic every 5,000 miles since new.

2002 Toyota Echo, 127,000 miles, 5W30 dino oil (Valvoline per the dealer) every 3,000 to 5,000 miles since new. PCV valve replaced once at about 80,000 miles so the one in it has been in for about 50,000 miles.

How about it: replace every x number of miles or wait until an issue or a maintenence code shows up?

Somewhere between 30k and 60k should be fine. if the PCV on those vehicles is easy to access (it probably is) take it out and see if it rattles. If it does it's probably still good.

On most vehicles it won't cause a check engine light or a code if it stops functioning correctly.

Replacing the PCV valve on my 97 Avalon made a dramatic difference in the acceleration and engine response. Granted I did not change it until 100K, but if I were you I would change it...

I like to clean it with carb cleaner every once and awhlie. I service mother in laws 07 camery 2.4 and clean it every oil change or it idles rough.

I think the PCV valve on my truck is about 10 years old. It still operates normally so I see no reason to change it.

Originally Posted By: Bayman
Every 30,000 miles

What parts store do you work for?

Should we do 1500 mi oil changes too?

Last edited:
I don't think they need to be changed unless the spring is worn out. You can clean it regularly but I've only changed it once at around 120k and didn't do anything to the car's response. If it is only dirty you can always just spray parts / brake cleaner in it.

I think I went about 200k miles before I changed the one on my Civic. I've got 165k miles on my Vibe's original unit. I'm waaaayyy behind..
smile.gif

The answer to how often to replace a PCV depends on the individual car or truck. Some will go 100-200k without replacing while others may quickly clog up and cause all sorts of drivability problems such as poor performance. In extreme cases, it can result in sludging and excessive oil burning. In any case, they and the connecting hoses and /or grommets should be checked regularly and replaced when needed. When checking the PCV condition and it is good, spray it with a cleaner and wipe it down and let it dry before reinstalling.

I used to change it at random intervals if I just got bored and wanted to do something to the truck, but I've never had one that was even close to sticking. IIRC, the owner's manual or maintenance guide for my truck said that Ford would replace the PCV at no charge before 60K miles if it was defective.

When I worked at JL, the only cars I ever remember actually needing the PCV valve replaced were mid to late 90s Hondas. They had a small white plastic PCV valve and about half the time they were stuck.

Originally Posted By: bcossa2001
Replacing the PCV valve on my 97 Avalon made a dramatic difference in the acceleration and engine response. Granted I did not change it until 100K, but if I were you I would change it...

How can it change acceleration? Esp dramatically?
It is an extremely minute contributor to air flow at WOT.

I make it a habit of changing mine every 40-50K if its difficult to access. If it's easy to access I do clean them with carb cleaner every oil change.

Honda says its a lifetime part. The PCV on the RDX was back ordered here I had to order it from the US. I don't want to risk oil consumption and sludging at the expense of a part that costs 5-20 bucks.

If I understand correctly, some of the 4.0L I-6 Jeeps have the PCV hidden under the valve cover and you have to remove the valve cover to replace it. That's not good. You would have to remove the Valve cover to check it to see if it is working properly.

Originally Posted By: Jim Spahr
If I understand correctly, some of the 4.0L I-6 Jeeps have the PCV hidden under the valve cover and you have to remove the valve cover to replace it. That's not good. You would have to remove the Valve cover to check it to see if it is working properly.

Sure, but they always gave me a clear warning sign.

The PCV tubing on the valve cover would frequently leak, forcing replacement.

Anyway, PCV life is a variable.

The reason I just replace it if it fails to click is because the spring inside it may develop metal fatigue and then open too easily, making the engine act like it has a vacuum leak even when it doesn't.

Also, every time I replace a PCV valve, I replace the hose attached to it.

Turbo gasoline engines usually have a really complicated system, and I am not very familiar with them, because I work on so few of them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back