Kindle Fire

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: ToyotaNSaturn
and Lenovo 7" tablet look great too. The Lenovo one will have a camera and mic, making it into a a full-meal-deal. Nice.

Anybody know why the white, pink, and blue Lenovo A1 tablets have 16GB of storage, but the black one only has 2GB? I mean, 2GB??? What the heck?

So far I have showed the Kindle Fire to two guys at work who were "weary" on this tablet due to reviews. Let's just say both ordered one shortly after... Both loving it.

The bad reviews are either due to Apple "lovers" and those who expect more then what was promised on the device. Lack of space, for example. Why review it bad if it never claimed to have anymore? I don't get that. That is like buying a Geo and complaining it is too small. Buy something else if you wanted bigger.

I still highly recommend this after a few days of use now. It has not crashed on me once, which my iTouch did daily. Surfing the web, apps, etc... So happy with it.

Quote:
The bad reviews are either due to Apple "lovers"

If that's what you need to tell yourself to justify the purchase, fine. It's a complete load of bollox, but if it helps you sleep at night...

PC World's review:

Quote:
However, the Fire falls far short of providing a full and satisfying tablet experience.

http://www.pcworld.com/article/243857/amazon_kindle_fire_misfires.html?tk=rel_news

Bunch of Apple lovers over at that PC-centric magazine.

MacLife's review:

Quote:
Amazon has done an admirable job of creating their own mobile device experience -- familiar enough to be comfortable for previous Kindle owners, yet vastly improved over stock Android. It may not be the ultimate tablet, but for brainless, fun media consumption, it hits all the right spots (especially with your wallet) and is likely to only get better over time with software updates.

http://www.maclife.com/article/features/handson_and_gallery_kindle_fire

What kind of bizarro world is this? An Apple-centric site giving a good review to a non-Apple product?

CNN's review:

Quote:
The iPad remains the superior tablet, and it's the closest I've found to replacing a laptop. But I wouldn't discount a less capable competitor. The Kindle Fire is a good entertainment device at a price that's truly unbelievable.

http://www.cnn.com/2011/11/18/tech/gaming-gadgets/kindle-fire-review/index.html

They like both the iPad and the Kindle Fire? This is unacceptable!

Maybe you and I read reviews differently, but most that I read either give it a poor review based on the comparison of the Fire to other fully-feature tablets or they give a favorable review because of the excellent value for money the Fire offers.

Neither review is incorrect. If you're looking for the full nearly-a-laptop-replacement experience that the iPad offers, you're going to be disappoined in the Fire. If you want a tablet, but aren't sure you'll use $500 worth, the Fire is a perfect option.

As you say, your experience is all in what you expect from the device. The same goes for the people reviewing the device.

Originally Posted By: xBa380
So far I have showed the Kindle Fire to two guys at work who were "weary" on this tablet due to reviews. Let's just say both ordered one shortly after... Both loving it.

The bad reviews are either due to Apple "lovers" and those who expect more then what was promised on the device. Lack of space, for example. Why review it bad if it never claimed to have anymore? I don't get that. That is like buying a Geo and complaining it is too small. Buy something else if you wanted bigger.

I still highly recommend this after a few days of use now. It has not crashed on me once, which my iTouch did daily. Surfing the web, apps, etc... So happy with it.

so with this kindle fire, the amazon prime yearly membership is mandatory? or the tablet is useless?

Originally Posted By: CivicFan
It's cheap enough. I might get one as well.

This is precisely what Amazon is thinking will happen in the marketspace.

Hi
I have had my kindle fire for a week now. Last night, my tablet would not turn on or charge. I had to do a hard reset and hold the power button to reset it. Kind of like a frozen ipod. Pretty shocking after a week. If you google "kindle fire won't turn on". You will find this complaint even on amazon's forum.

Same thing happens on my Nook Color when it goes into sleep mode, about once per week, when running Android on an SD Card. Haven't noticed this on the stock mode.

There's wi-fi issues too. The B&N Nook Color had the same wi-fi problems earlier this year, solved with a software update.

The Kindle update version is 6.2 to fix wi-fi.

Android, with it's own custom "skin". I believe it's running v2.2 of Android, "Froyo". Someone check their Fire's Settings > About, if that's available to you for more detailed info.

I was just looking at a Kindle Fire earlier today, and while I was looking, some gal said "no no... you want the Tablet", and kept walking on by.
So then I found a Tablet (10" Samsung) - was able to figure out how to turn it on, but that was as far as I got.

So why would someone tell me no on the Kindle & to get a Tablet?
Does the Tablet do everything the Kindle does plus more? I'm assuming this because the Tablet cost more.
BTY - this would be for my wife, not me.
She likes to read & play some games - she is not a PC person though. We have wireless here at home - me & son use it. DSL
Thanks

The Samsung 10" Tablet is REALLY nice. The screen is great, full Android & Amazon app stores, etc. Great stuff.

The Kindle Fire is a limited device, it's a subset of most functions. It has it's place, but if you have the $$ and you don't have your heart set on the 7" size, the 10" Samsung is a great option, or an iPad of course.

What is the cheapest tablet with a great 10" screen? Any chance of being able to grab one under $200 in next couple of months?

Originally Posted By: ToyotaNSaturn
The Samsung 10" Tablet is REALLY nice. The screen is great, full Android & Amazon app stores, etc. Great stuff.

The Kindle Fire is a limited device, it's a subset of most functions. It has it's place, but if you have the $$ and you don't have your heart set on the 7" size, the 10" Samsung is a great option, or an iPad of course.

ok - went and got the the Samsung 10" Tablet (among other things) - so I hope she puts it to use

Give us an unbiased review when you get a chance. How much did you pay for it?

The feeding frenzy is going to be out of this world for the TouchPad. I suspect one will have better chance of getting in to Harvard/MIT than getting a TouchPad :)

- Vikas

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Vikas
Give us an unbiased review when you get a chance. How much did you pay for it?

The feeding frenzy is going to be out of this world for the TouchPad. I suspect one will have better chance of getting in to Harvard/MIT than getting a TouchPad :)

- Vikas

Well... I haven't touched it yet. All I can say is the wife was late late starting dinner yesterday and today - she can't put it down.
Guess I go to bed with the 2 little puppy doggies again

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back