Chevron Delo 400LE 10w30 vs. Schaeffer #711 10w30

Status
Not open for further replies.
turfequiptech: Since I did participate in the hijack, I will apologize for that. Seems like you are accusing me of being an instigator in it, and that's a little unfair since I came in late. But since I never responded to your original question and did throw fuel on the fires of the hijack by responding only to the hijacked portion, I will try to make amends and respond to your original question now.

Since you are in a business, I would recommend staying with a conventional oil that you can buy off-the shelf and on sale. My opinion is that, especially if you are going to do annual changes, the value will be in the better conventional HDEO oils. My own experience and observations are that you would not be able to tell much of a difference between the upper end conventionals and a higher end syn blend at a short OCI. If you had some operational situations that required specific performance improvements in the oils, extreme hot weather or extreme cold are two examples, then the benefits of a syn blend or syn might better pass the cost-effectiveness test. Or a long OCI, of course.

I run a small farm business and that is the philosophy I have been following (more or less), even though I stretch the OCIs out longer than you (at least the times, I doubt I do as many hours as you might).

That said, I have recently moved up to a syn blend (Rotella T5 10W30) but I did that for the purpose of improving cold start performance without going the whole distance to a synthetic. This oil is (or will be as soon as the transition is complete), in a variety of tractors, small engines, a car and two trucks (gas & diesel). One grade, one oil in everything. That did require some compromises in certain areas to find one oil that met all the specs.. or at least didn't stray too far off the reservation.

While your thread may have been hijacked, I hope that you found the hijack somewhat interesting at least. I did! ( : < )

Originally Posted By: OilProfessor
The Professor wonders why you strayed away from the Rotella? The Professor recommends going back with Rotella T6 5W-40, or at least Rotella T5 10W-30.

Why? Expain to me why is the Rotella line something you recommend? How is the Rotella better than the two I am speaking of? I came here narrowed down to two brands talk me out of it.

Jim , we are good.
I apologize if I was unfair to you.
I did learn, that is for sure. Unfortunately, we cannot track fuel economy. I did learn for my own benefit however.

The point everyone is trying to make is its doubtful you will be able to notice any difference with any choice you decide to make. Dave recommended Rotella purely because of economics, its generally the cheapest over the counter HDEO, and its readily available.
The two oils you mentioned are very good, along with many others, but performance wise in your application I just don't see you ever recovering the cost difference.

In my own mixed fleet use I use Deere Plus 50, its readily available for me as I don't live near any town, The local Deere dealership is my autoparts store. I buy in bulk, so prices are very competitive at around $11 a gallon. Lastly every UOA I have sent in has come back very good, so it is working in my application.

Originally Posted By: turfequiptech
Why? Explain to me why is the Rotella line something you recommend? How is the Rotella better than the two I am speaking of? I came here narrowed down to two brands talk me out of it.

I could be wrong but I believe Schaeffer Mfg. buys their base stock from Shell so Rotella may be very similar to Schaeffer's, minus the add-pack of course...

Schaeffer's purchases their base stocks from different suppliers The degree in which base stocks are refined, their source and the degree of consistency with which it is refined to the specifications required all come into play.

Schaeffers size gives them the leverage to buy the EXACT base stocks it desires to blend with its additive package, which will also vary depending on the desired finished lube.

Given that Shell produces huge quantities, I would think it would be difficult to use the same base stocks thru-out.?.

Originally Posted By: salesrep
Schaeffer's purchases their base stocks from different suppliers The degree in which base stocks are refined, their source and the degree of consistency with which it is refined to the specifications required all come into play.

Schaeffers size gives them the leverage to buy the EXACT base stocks it desires to blend with its additive package, which will also vary depending on the desired finished lube.

Given that Shell produces huge quantities, I would think it would be difficult to use the same base stocks thru-out.?.

salesrep,

Shell does sell base stock to Schaeffer Mfg. right?

The exact base stock purchases for each individual products in the Schaeffers line-up varies. I suppose Shell is in the mix.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back