what brand of tools to buy

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey guys so I start school in June and have to buy a complete set of tools I have a lot of tools but will be required to buy a whole set of wrenches and ratchets in 1/4 3/8 and 1/2 and probably 3/4. What brand do you guys recommend. I have about a 3k budget and would greatly prefer AMERICAN MADE. I guess that means no craftsman anymore. I don't want to get tools for the name only I want a quality set of reasonable priced tools. Thanks guys have a good one.

Where can you get snap-on I have some of there tools from my grandpa and they are tough as nails. But I've never bought any.

Snap On, and Matco if you have a Matco dealer in your area. The matco guy that comes to us every week is a heck of a lot more reasonable than the Snap On guy. Snap On guy only comes every 3 weeks now for some unknown reason. Matco guy comes every Friday; regardless of weather.

Matco I have heard of them. Where do you find the matco or snap on guy where do you look to know where they're going to be

Snap On usually has a giant student discount. Like 50% or something nuts. Much cheaper than off the truck. Check if you can get it through your school.

SK and Wright also make US-made tools, last I knew.

Nope craftsman sent some of there stuff to Taiwan and China
frown.gif

While Craftsman ratchets will now be made in Taiwan or China, the regular Craftsman wrenches and sockets are still USA made. It's not clear if they will be replaced with imported tools or not.

To the OP-

If you are just starting out, don't go into big debt to buy Snap-On, MATCO or any other professional brand. If you end up switching careers, you could be saddled with thousands of dollars of debt to the tool trucks.

I suggest you start with Craftsman sockets. For wrenches, you could start with Craftsman or step up a little to Armstrong, Wright, Williams or SK (long-pattern, the regular pattern are pretty short).

For ratchets, Williams, Wright and SK offer USA made ratchets that are more affordable than the truck brands but very, very nice. I especially suggest checking out the Wright dual pawl ratchets. They have 82 teeth and are very nice.

Here's one for sale on closeout from a great tool store called Harry Epstein. They carry lots of Wright tools.
3490-C.jpeg

Again, start with reasonably priced tools that are USA made. There are quite a few options. You can always upgrade to Snap-On or MATCO later.

Originally Posted By: sciphi
Snap On usually has a giant student discount. Like 50% or something nuts. Much cheaper than off the truck. Check if you can get it through your school.

SK and Wright also make US-made tools, last I knew.

+1 snap has huge student discounts, USE IT WHILE YOU CAN!!!!

The Ohio Technical College has superb deals with Matco. Any of the major players like already listed will work.

If you want really good combo wrenches get Snap-On with Flank drive open end. You will not regret it.

I definetly won't change career paths. Well I hope to one day open my own shop but ill still work on them then to. Not as much though. I have tools now but would like to get a nice set going . I have a lot of my grandpas old tools and prefer not to use them everyday and break them. Some are pretty old. If snap on has a 50% off ill get them because well that's an incredible deal.
smile.gif

had a guy start at a shop i was working at, he just got out of school and had been buying snap on, he bought a box for $1,500, to put it in prospective my matco box is roughly the same size (a bit bigger then his) and i paid $6,500 for mine (but matco boxes are built much better) he was getting roughly 50% off most hand tools, the snap on dealer even told him that students can buy for less then his cost.

Last edited:
I think Snap On drawers are better (sturdier), but Matco's top socket drawer is the censored (in terms of depth.)

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: chevyboy14
Nope craftsman sent some of there stuff to Taiwan and China
frown.gif

Yeah, some of the odder types of wrenches are now made in China. The mechanics socket sets and screwdrivers are still made here. I just bought some for Christmas presents. All USA made.

You can go on the Snap On website to find a retailer.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back