Kia Forte 2.0 Bosch Oil Filter Problem

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ran into a problem with a D3312 Bosch Distance oil filter on my 2011 Kia Forte 2.0. The OEM filter, 2630035503, has a gasket that fits over a raised circle on the engine adapter and it actually makes an indent in the gasket. All the filters have the gasket in the proper position to contact that raised area except the D3312. The plain Bosch 3312 also is correct. Bosch refuses to acknowledge that the gasket is in the wrong place on the D3312 and says that the adapter surface on that vehicle is flat without any raised area. We own the vehicle and know that there is a raised surface that contacts the filter gasket. Has anyone else had this problem?

I just noticed the problem the other day. Bosch has the dimensions are wrong with that filter. I use the same OEM P/N for my Sonata. I just did not like how the D3312 or functioned so I took it off and will try to use it somewhere else.

Definite issue

Last edited:
Simple solution.....switch to another brand filter. There are plenty of good ones out there.

Purolator PureOne, Napa Gold, or a Wix....should be sufficient for your needs on a Kia Forte.

^^^^ Good suggestion, normally I'd agree. But, I'm thinking if the BD+ isn't aligning/fitting/sealing properly, other aftermarkets for that app may do the exact same thing.

I haven't tried to look at the construction specs for say the P1, Fram and Wix, but just speculating here, they may well be the same as the BD+. In other words, this may not be a unique to the BD+.
21.gif

fwiw, the Fram 9688 shows an X ref to the 3312 with the OP's Kia#.

Originally Posted By: Quadrasteer
All the filters have the gasket in the proper position to contact that raised area except the D3312. The plain Bosch 3312 also is correct. Bosch refuses to acknowledge that the gasket is in the wrong place on the D3312 ...

So if you take a 3312 and D3312 and put the base ends together, can you see the difference on the way the gaskets line up? I would think the bases and gaskets (ID, OD and thickness) would be identical, but sounds like this is the issue ... right?

I contacted them and they said that they bought an adapter for that vehicle and it was flat w/no raised area. They want ME to send picts. of the adapter & the filter with the indent in the gasket. I'm going to check the dealer first and see if I can look at a new adapter before I contact them again. Don't really want to do an early oil change just for them. Meanwhile I bought 4 of them because of the rebate so they have no UPCs, I mailed them in to Purolator and had a hard time getting them back from them, I had to call the corporate office in Canada. A few days later I had them back.

Ok, that is weird that Bosch Premium and D+ have a different gasket size. That being the case, the only solution I see is to send a picture(s) to Bosch/Puro to show them the difference.

Originally Posted By: sayjac
Ok, that is weird that Bosch and D+ have a different gasket size. That being the case, a picture(s) sent to Bosch/Puro should be sent to show them the difference.

They should do their own research. No matter how many times I asked for an explanation of why the 2 have different gasket placements they changed the subject or just didn't answer. I think that the D might be made by Purolator and the plain 3312 by someone else and the couldn't compare them or their specs. side by side. I went to a Carquest and bought one made by WIX, they took out 3 filts. + my OEM, one was the plain Bosch 3312, only the D had the "wrong" gasket placement.

the 3312 is extremely common used on most hyundai and kia vehicle. Its possible they used say (im making this up) a hyundai accent oil filter mount that specs the 3312 and both filters fit but yours which also takes the 3312 and works doesnt work with the d3312

Definitely their problem. I'd ask for a full refund + the oil you lost from them for selling you a filter that didnt fit.

You would probably have to include pics to get this.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Rand
the 3312 is extremely common used on most hyundai and kia vehicle. Its possible they used say (im making this up) a hyundai accent oil filter mount that specs the 3312 and both filters fit but yours which also takes the 3312 and works doesnt work with the d3312

It could be that, but when you see the raised area making contact with the center of the gasket, it would seem that the manufacturer's design engineers wanted it that way for a reason. The gasket might seal properly on the flat area of the adapter but it could be an unnecessary risk that Bosch will not stand behind. Also it could present a warranty problem, there is already info on the forums that say that Kia wants ONLY the OEM filter to be used, weather they can back it up or not. I still think that the gasket placement is a mistake on Bosch's part. There is a slight chance that the adapter has changed or there was 2 designs and that the gasket placement doesn't really matter.

Originally Posted By: Quadrasteer
I'm going to check the dealer first and see if I can look at a new adapter before I contact them again.

Yeah, first find out if all cars in your model have the same oil filter seat with raised area ... could be yours is defective/made wrong. Never know until you verify it.

I agree they 'should' do the research. That said, a pic (eg. photobucket) would go a long way to proving your point, and getting you a complete refund and perhaps more. It would also likely help making a correction in the construction, and/or excluding the Kia 2.0 from that D+ application.

Obviously up to you though.

Originally Posted By: sayjac
I agree they 'should' do the research. That said, a pic (eg. photobucket) would go a long way to proving your point, and getting you a complete refund and perhaps more. It would also likely help making a correction in the construction, and/or excluding the Kia 2.0 from that D+ application.Obviously up to you though.

True dat....... I probably will

Is that indented part fully visible when changing oil?
If not, if it is only felt by hand, could it be possible that it is a residue of an old filter gasket stuck on there?

$6.00 for Kia Forte filter at either Kia or Hyundai dealer ... very good , robust filter without issues .

Originally Posted By: kozanoglu
Is that indented part fully visible when changing oil?
If not, if it is only felt by hand, could it be possible that it is a residue of an old filter gasket stuck on there?

Very visible, it's a raised metal area (rounded bump) in a circle that is the same material and part of the adapter. It makes a perfect circle indent in the filter gasket and is meant to be there.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back