Going to change oil. Should I re-use M1 filter?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just hit 5,000 miles on this OCI. While I had originally planned to go to 7 or 8,000, that would land me right in the dead of winter. Seeing as how I may not even have garage access then, I've decided to change the oil tomorrow, since it'll be reasonably nice out. I'm currently using a Mobil 1 filter (M1-102 on my Ford Focus). I'm thinking that using it for another 5k OCI would be fine? I'd take it off and drain the old oil, then put it back on. I know people run these for 10k+ so I assume it's a non-issue.

I do have a lot of filters stashed. But I like the quality of the M1 filter I have on now. The closest I have in quality right now is a Fram Tough Guard, or off-brands made by Purolator.

Originally Posted By: user52165
Reusing an oil filter is like reusing a condom.

Clearly then, you've never used a condom with a silicone ADBV and synthetic media...
crackmeup2.gif

I would reuse it but be careful taking it off, it might be better to just leave it on without draining it since the seal might not take properly the second time around causing a leak...its not like reusing a Condom at all

I think it is hard to compare a used filter to a new one regardless of how well it is made.If you are going to take it off to drain it then go ahead and just change it out.

I agree with 4x4Chevydude. Just leave the filter on and use it twice. There is no reason to take it off and drain it. It only holds less than a quart of the old oil. It is a good filter. Use the capacity you paid for; waste not, want not.

considering that you probably don't even need to change the oil, there's absolutely no reason to change the filter. I've used the Ford Racing filter (which is similar in construction, but with the bypass in the base), for almost 20K (2 10K OCI's), and it was perfectly fine when I removed it.

I wouldn't remove it though, for worries about damaging the seal. I'd just drain/fill the oil.

I used low price filters, FAR Proline or Bosch premium or Motorcraft ..., in my LS400 for 12mo/12-14k miles with syn oil, with dino I change oil at 6mo/6-7k miles but change oil filter on second oil change.

The car has more than 270k miles without oil/filter related problem.

Originally Posted By: Klutch9
Just changed my oil, and decided to just leave the filter on; didn't even touch it.
It'll be just fine.

I'm going to do similar with a Bosch D+, but I'm going to run it two complete Honda MM OCI's which should be ~14k total.

Originally Posted By: sayjac
Originally Posted By: Klutch9
Just changed my oil, and decided to just leave the filter on; didn't even touch it.
It'll be just fine.

I'm going to do similar with a Bosch D+, but I'm going to run it two complete Honda MM OCI's which should be ~14k total.

Good stuff. Funny story... after I refilled the sump and started the motor, I looked in the engine bay and under the car to check for leaks (as I always do), and I couldn't help but notice that the engine was running VERY loud; sounded like metal on metal everywhere! Then I realized that I had forgotten to put the oil cap back on the valve cover
33.gif
put it back on, sound went away immediately. I guess a lot of sound can escape through that little hole. No harm done, just a few specs of oil that splashed out onto the valve cover. My first oil change "fail" ever haha.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back