2006 Honda Odyssey misfire

Status
Not open for further replies.
My wife’s friend, (you know how that goes, I get volunteered to work on stuff) has a 2006 Honda Odyssey. She is getting random misfires. She took it to Auto Zone and got a scan. The codes read P0302
Definition
Cyliinder misfire detected – cylinder number 2
Explanation
The powertrain control module monitors the crankshaft speed and has detected a misfire condition
Probable cause
aa1 Ignition system fault – spark plugs(s), ignition wires, coil
aa 2 – vacuum leak
aa3 injector fault
aa4 high or low fuel pressure.
It has around 46,000 miles. She drives it to work round trip five miles daily. I think the only thing she does is change the oil.
I thought of Gary Allen. Didn’t he dumped two quarts of ATF and one quart of MMO into the gas tank of one of his cars and fogged the neighborhood? That would clean up the cylinders (hahahaha).
I could not work on it for long last night. I stay up way too late working with my daughter on her homework.
I did dump in a bottle of Chevron Techron Fuel System cleaner and drove around the neighborhood. You can feel the random misfile when you’re idling.
I took off the engine cover and three spark plugs are easy to get to.
Any suggestions?

I'd say it's likely a spark plug or ignition coil. Spark plugs would be the first thing I'd check and/or change. This engine uses coil-on-plug, so there are no wires to deal with. Is this an EX-L or Touring, or a lower trim Odyssey? An EX-L or Touring from that model year should have the VCM version of the engine (Variable Cylinder Management), and that could introduce a number of variables not common to a more conventional engine.

The Honda J-series engine's cylinders are numbered 1-2-3 on the right (rear) bank starting from the accessories side of the engine and 4-5-6 on the left (front) bank. So unfortunately, this is the center cylinder on the rear bank of the engine.

I'd start with Plugs, Wires, and Coil pack.

It's almost 6 years old. And it being what it is, it probably spends at least half of the time sitting at Stop Lights.

I'm pretty sure these come with Iridium plugs if so I would check them, and then go about replacing the Wires and Coil pack.

If you want to do it on the cheap, start with only the Coil Pack. Those typically go first, at least in my experience, before wires and plugs. But you might as well do all of them if you are having an issue. I'd still check all the electrical, I'd doubt it is a fuel issue.

It sounds a lot like the Ford Taurus's in my Family that had a bad coil pack from your test drive. Although all of those cars had around 100,000 miles or more before it went bad.

*as if MMO and ATF gonna do squat for your cylinders*

Quick trick:

(1) replace all the spark plugs with fresh new ones.

and see if cyl 2 misfires go away. If it does, your job is done.

if not, proceed to step (2)

(2) swap coil pack from cyl 2 to somewhere else (e.g. cyl 1 or 3 or 4, etc.)

clear the codes and then take it out on a drive. If a cylinder misfires detected and seems to follow to the otherwise known cylinder coil that you swap with cyl 2, you know that original cyl 2 coil is faulty (and order a new replacement).

Q.,

Originally Posted By: Hokiefyd
I'd say it's likely a spark plug or ignition coil. Spark plugs would be the first thing I'd check and/or change. This engine uses coil-on-plug, so there are no wires to deal with. Is this an EX-L or Touring, or a lower trim Odyssey? An EX-L or Touring from that model year should have the VCM version of the engine (Variable Cylinder Management), and that could introduce a number of variables not common to a more conventional engine.

The Honda J-series engine's cylinders are numbered 1-2-3 on the right (rear) bank starting from the accessories side of the engine and 4-5-6 on the left (front) bank. So unfortunately, this is the center cylinder on the rear bank of the engine.

I'm almost thinking about telling her to take it to the dealer. The plugs and coils are on the back side of the enjine. I'm not even sure how to check the coils

The back side of the engine. It looks like I would have to remove a few things to get to the plugs. I'm not sure I want to do that,.

Yes, the ones on the rear bank are not that easy to get to. It appears the best strategy is to simply elevate yourself and lay aross the top of the engine to get to them. With the engine cover removed, you should be able to "lay" on the flat top of the intake manifold and get to the rear coils.

If they're like the ones on our MDX's engine, the coils are retained by a single socket head bolt each. I don't know the size of the proper hex key off-hand, but the proper torque for each is 8.7 lb*ft (again, for my '05 MDX anyway, which uses essentially the same engine). The spark plugs are 13 lb*ft.

Originally Posted By: handyman
My wife’s friend, (you know how that goes, I get volunteered to work on stuff) has a 2006 Honda Odyssey. She is getting random misfires. She took it to Auto Zone and got a scan. The codes read P0302

First you say "random misfires", which is DTC P0300. Then you say AZ read a P0302, which is a misfire on cylinder 2.

You'd better be dead-sure what codes you're getting, otherwise you may end up looking a fool to the lady you're trying to help. And you may end up chasing a very expensive goose all over the place.

And just so you know, misfire codes may NOT be due to ignition problems!!!!

The rear plugs arent so bad to reach, you can get your hand in there on the passenger side and snake it around to the drivers. Swap the coil like stated and see where that takes you. If it remains, check the plugs. I believe they are the NGK iridiums, IZFRK-11 in there, list is around 29 a piece I think. EGR passages are known to clog on these motors. I would swap the coils first, and check the condition of the plugs you dont want to throw 180 worth of plugs in there and have it be a coil, or throw a 90 dollar coil at it and have it be plugs. The coils are held down by a 5 or 6mm allen.

Don't get roped into working on this, have your wife's friend take it to the dealer or a good independent shop. If you break it you will NEVER hear the end of it and it could cause your wife to lose a friend.

Sounds like he's already roped in.

Yes, coils and plugs are easy to get at on the Odyssey 3.5L. I own a 2008. These don't have the clearance issues that other minivans have.

Like said, these engines still use an EGR system and EGR issues are not uncommon, although they usually include a code of their own when issues arise.

How many miles are on this beast? I wouldn't drive it if there's misfiring going on. Excessive fuel loading to the catalytic converters will ruin them. The triple cat assembly for the 2005-2010 Ody is over $1000 to replace.

Joel

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Audios
The rear plugs arent so bad to reach, you can get your hand in there on the passenger side and snake it around to the drivers. Swap the coil like stated and see where that takes you. If it remains, check the plugs. I believe they are the NGK iridiums, IZFRK-11 in there, list is around 29 a piece I think. EGR passages are known to clog on these motors. I would swap the coils first, and check the condition of the plugs you dont want to throw 180 worth of plugs in there and have it be a coil, or throw a 90 dollar coil at it and have it be plugs. The coils are held down by a 5 or 6mm allen.

[censored]! $30 dollar plugs? Yea, I checked last night and I can get to back plugs and coils. I think I will look at the plugs and switch around the coils before I throw any money at it. It has around 46,000 miles.

I guess I can clear out the codes by disconnecting the battery for ten minutes.

Get the recommended NGK spark plugs and put them in. I had the same problem with "equivalent crossover" plugs in my Civic.

It's not a steady misfire. It's almost ramdom. When it is idling, It's not a steady beat. I almost think that it's not the plugs.

Even though this car is five years old, Don't you think the plugs should last longer?

Handyman, check your private messages for a link to a thread over at OdyClub. Apparently coil failure is not that uncommon.

Originally Posted By: handyman
I guess I can clear out the codes by disconnecting the battery for ten minutes.

This is not true. Especially if the codes are for any non-engine components, such as skid control ECUs, TPMS, etc.

Coil # 2 smells like gas and looks like [censored]!. How is gas getting to this coil. I guess the spark plug is cracked. I'm almost afraid to pull it. If the spark plug was cracked, don't you think the misfire would be more regular?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back