A Few Pics of GM Cartridge filters I have around..

Status
Not open for further replies.
The 3 that I have are:

STP - S9018R - Made in the USA
DriveWorks - DW5436 - Made in China
Mobil - M1C-151 - Made in Bulgaria

IMAG0367.jpg

Bottom View:

IMAG0369.jpg

Seem on the STP:

IMAG0371.jpg

Seem on the Mobil:

IMAG0370.jpg

I couldn't find the seem on the Driverworks filter...
confused.gif

Anyone have any thoughts on them?

The thing I notice on the STP is the hole on the bottom is a lot smaller than the other 2.

The Mobil's media looks thicker than the other 2 but the seem doesn't look the best.

I really can't say anything bad about the Driveworks filter.

Originally Posted By: ottotheclown
Thanks for pic. all of them look good,
49.gif
cartridge filters are a puzzle at times.

Totally. By penalty of death I couldn't tell you which is better or worse and why. I mean I could guess and sound like a commercial that the Mobil one has synthetic medium that traps smaller particles of dirt while allowing for better flow and greater resistance to heat and pressure. But that's just marketing.
Personally I get the sense that they have more in common than differences.

I really like the ACDelco filter. Only thing is there are two different models, one made by Hengst, and one not. Walmart seems to only sell the more expensive, inferior feeling non Hengst filter.
img1882x.jpg

Here's my pic from a couple years ago; its a Pure One and an AC Delco. I've been using the Pure Ones exclusively on my car but enjoy seeing all the other brands as well.

010a.jpg

Originally Posted By: abycat
would the different size openings by the nipple part affect the flow? the opposite ones have a huge difference in size.

I've wondered that also; in fact you're not the first one here on the forum to ask. Note the AC Delco has the smaller-sized opening. Here's what the filter chamber looks like on a GM Ecotec engine, for those who have never seen one.

may08001.jpg

For some reason I like the Hengst style with the flat end caps, all of the Wix filters I have used were this style. Don't have a pic of a new one but have also used these...

The Fram Tough Guard looks good, although not realy different than the regular Extra Guard.
TG901811-10-10.jpg

The K&N I think wins on appearance! Don't have a new one of this either.
HP-700011-10-23A.jpg

Put the Driveworks filter in tonight....I'll try and remember to take and after pic when it comes out....

I went to Farm & Fleet last weekend when they still had the M1 filters on sale to see if they started carrying the cartridge filters -- $17.99 before the $2 off. For that price I could buy almost 3 PureOnes. Is this price consistent with what others are seeing?

What is the # of the AC filter for the Ecotec?
I ask because I recently saw a few AC PF456G's on clearance for $2 a piece (and they are still available). They are made by Hengst and from what I've read they superceded the FF2244G and then were superceded by the PF457G.....
Would you use them in your Ecotec or stick with ST for $2.84 each at WM?
I also wonder how flow is affected by the smaller opening?

Originally Posted By: pbm
What is the # of the AC filter for the Ecotec?
I ask because I recently saw a few AC PF456G's on clearance for $2 a piece (and they are still available). They are made by Hengst and from what I've read they superceded the FF2244G and then were superceded by the PF457G.....
Would you use them in your Ecotec or stick with ST for $2.84 each at WM?
I also wonder how flow is affected by the smaller opening?

What year is your car? There was a change to the cap, 2005/6 IIRC, the 457 may be the older filter but I don't know. The new filter will work with the old cap but the old filter will not work with the new cap, I think.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back