Remote starter started car without me

Status
Not open for further replies.
Today my Jeep started on its own. Viper remote starter. The fob was in the pocket of pants on a wicker chest and nothing else was in the pocket and I was not touching the pants. Remote starter installed in Sept. The parking lights were turned on by the remote starter so I know it was the remote starter that started the car and not a ghost. I was at my desk and heard it start and saw the parking lights on. No one else is home. Only one fob. The fob has no keys on its ring.

This happened once before and I assumed it was due to a bunch of keys in my back pocket along with the fob.

What model do you have? I have the Viper 5701 and I have it set where you press the remote start button two times to avoid accidental starting. I keep my keys in my pants pocket and I move around a lot where sometimes it would lock/unlock accidently.

Originally Posted By: wirelessF
What model do you have? I have the Viper 5701 and I have it set where you press the remote start button two times to avoid accidental starting. I keep my keys in my pants pocket and I move around a lot where sometimes it would lock/unlock accidently.

Mine is set the same way, need to press the yellow button twice.

your next door teenager is running his radio control truck. get a ham radio operator check 2.4 GHZ range or 27 mhz am.

I live in the sticks, no nearby neighbors. Only woods. I have cordless phones and WIFI. The place that did it knows what they are doing and does the install for several new car dealers.

some alarms with remote start fire up the motor when the battery voltage gets to a certain level to charge the battry backup.

Take the battery out of the fob and see if the problem goes away. If it does, get a new fob.

Originally Posted By: EricF
some alarms with remote start fire up the motor when the battery voltage gets to a certain level to charge the battry backup.

This or if it gets real cold there's a "pit stop" mode to keep the heat on.

You can check the back of the remote control or the owner's manual for the FCC ID number.

Plug it in here:

http://transition.fcc.gov/oet/ea/fccid/

...and you can see what frequency/frequencies your system uses. Then narrow down possible interference.

In my experience, most are either in the 210 or 430MHz ranges.

It happened to a buddy of mine, turns out it was his neighbors garage door opener. This was about 10 years ago though. We don't live in the sticks though.

It's in cold weather mode, for places like Alaska where vehicles have to be started every few hours due to the extreme cold.
Here's a guide I found online -
SYMPTOMS
Remote start has been installed in the vehicle and it is starting all by itself either every 3 hours or every 24 hours
CAUSE
The system has inadvertantly had "timer mode" turned on by either pressing the lock and unlock buttons simultaneously (3 hour timer mode) or by pressing the lock and remote start button simultaneously (24 hour timer mode).
RESOLUTION
3 hour timer mode can be turned of by pressing the lock and unlock buttons simutaneously. This is the same procedure for turning the feature on. Additionally, entering the vehicle and shutting down the remote start by stepping on the bradk will also turn of 3 hour timer mode. 24 hour timer mode can only be turned off by pressing the lock and remote start buttons simultaneously. The same procedure for turning the feature on.
The link: http://kb.directed.com/KnowledgebaseArticle11792.aspx

What are these things actually FOR? (assuming you aren't especially concerned about car bombs).

Few years ago I hired a SCOOTER here in Taiwan which had one of these bloody things in bloody Chinese.

WHY? How many mob bosses ride scooters, FFS?

Accidentally turned it on and had to get it TRANSLATED before I could get the scooter started.

One irony is that you can't normally start a scooter unless you're applying the brake. (safety feature, I suppose) UNLESS you use the remote.

THEN you can start it from the other side of the road, with your eyes closed. Go figure.

Last edited:
Well, it's a little questionable on a scooter. It does have some use, however, when it's -40 outside and someone doesn't want to go outside, start the vehicle, and then come back in and wait a few minutes.

I have had that happen with the Code Alarm remote start on the Cherokee. I have always promised to get rid of it. One of these days I will!

The key fob for it was hanging on the fridge. I didn't touch it. The cat didn't touch it. Jeep was running when I woke up and parking lights were on.

I don't know how long it was running, but I gassed it up the night before and it was down to 3/4 tank.

Originally Posted By: Garak
Well, it's a little questionable on a scooter. It does have some use, however, when it's -40 outside and someone doesn't want to go outside, start the vehicle, and then come back in and wait a few minutes.

Fair enough.

I suppose I've been away from life below zero for long enough to forget, plus I don't think I've had a vehicle that I'd trust to start and run at -40 without me there to "encourage" it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back