Oil for 2012 Fiesta 1.6L ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
This car lives in East-Central Missouri.

2012 Ford Fiesta 1.6L VCT, DOHC, 4 valves/cylinder. 6-spd auto.

Spec 5W-20 - 4.5 quarts w/filter.

90 miles round-trip daily. Overall, 90% interstate driving. Average driver. Usually @ speed limit or +5.

Looking for 4k or 5k OCI's

We ran Motorcraft 5W-20 semi-syn or Havoline Syn Blend for years in our other vehicles and got good service - but the price has gone way up - and my stash is depleted.

The cheapest stuff @ WallyWorld is Valvoline conventional.

Options?

Thanks,

Kevin

You couldn't go wrong with Pennzoil Conventional if you want to stay with a dino oil. Otherwise, Quaker State Ultimate Durability is a good synthetic for the money.

Chalk up another vote for Pennzoil and Quaker State, or any other SOPUS product.

But you can't go wrong with the "cheap" Valvoline at Wally's either.

Last edited:
DOH! I should add that this same oil will be used in a 2011 3.0L V6 in a Ford Escape (Wife's car). < 10K miles per year. 99% 2-lane roads and most trips under 15 miles.

Originally Posted By: kballowe

Options?

Thanks,

Kevin

Here mobil super and QSGB is cheaper than valvoline conventional

Originally Posted By: volk06

Options?

Thanks,

Kevin

Here mobil super and QSGB is cheaper than valvoline conventional

Same here.

Originally Posted By: dparm
I'd run a 5w20 syn blend. With the 90% highway, 5k OCI on a syn blend should work fine.

I'd wager 10k mile OCI on a syn blend would be fine with 90% highway driving. Run the cheapest quality 5w20 SN oil you can find for 5k OCIs - whomever's got a deal on six quarts and a quality filter would get my vote.

Motorcraft semi-syn 5w-20 in red-5-qt jug and Wally World with a 7500k OCI is a no-brainer...

Did Ford go from 7500 OCI's to 10k OCI's on the 2012 model vehicles?

Last edited:
i would go with either QSGB or mobil super 5000. valvoline does not look very good in VOAs. but that OCI should be no problem for a name brand conventional. no need to spend more money for synthetic.

Originally Posted By: jmsjags
i would go with either QSGB or mobil super 5000. valvoline does not look very good in VOAs. but that OCI should be no problem for a name brand conventional. no need to spend more money for synthetic.

Valvoline rarely puts up a bad UOA (it does happen) and we all know those matter most. If the engine is wearing well regardless of the VOA, who cares what the VOA says.

Try different modern cheap oils [G5].
Maybe one will prove a bit superior.
But at 4-5k , no worries no matter what.

In your case, you are going to rack up miles fast.
A full synth is not a bad idea for longer OCIs.
Actually, it may prove cheaper. Some guys have shown this is various circumstances.

Originally Posted By: mechtech2
Try different modern cheap oils [G5].
Maybe one will prove a bit superior.
But at 4-5k , no worries no matter what.

In your case, you are going to rack up miles fast.
A full synth is not a bad idea for longer OCIs.
Actually, it may prove cheaper. Some guys have shown this is various circumstances.

But under warranty, he is probably 'limited' to 7500 miles. With all-highway driving, easily done with a modern 'conventional' oil.

IF his 'gentle' OCI option was 10k miles, then I'd say definetly go for an on-sale syn, and push it right out to that.

rossn2 said:
Motorcraft semi-syn 5w-20 in red-5-qt jug and Wally World with a 7500k OCI is a no-brainer...

+1.....agree with a semi-syn....and Motorcraft 5w30 would be a great choice.

With all the highway driving you do on this vehicle....I would be a little more conservative....and run a 6000 to 6500 OCI with MC 5w20 syn/blend.

I was wrong.

The capacity is 4.2 quarts with filter change. Not much oil in there.

It also states that the oil changes should be done according to the electronic "oil change minder" but not to exceed 10,000 miles. Recommend oils are (of course) Motorcraft 5W-20 semi-synthetic or Motorcraft 5W-20 full synthetic.

I was wrong.

The capacity is 4.2 quarts with filter change. Not much oil in there.

It also states that the oil changes should be done according to the electronic "oil change minder" but not to exceed 10,000 miles. Recommend oils are (of course) Motorcraft 5W-20 semi-synthetic or Motorcraft 5W-20 full synthetic.

Compared to the size and output of your engine, yuh huh.

I'd say follow the OCM (nice, a new acronym!) If you want "more protection," then use a higher quality oil. It's all about how often you can go before the itch gets to you. I got over that itch a while back, myself.

Supertech or Quaker state at walmart if they are cheaper then Valvoline like they are here, otherwise go with a cheap conventional thats an easy drive for a motor to do.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back