Turkey Baster Brake Fluid Change

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: mva

To be really through, on a vehicle with old brake fluid, after the first bleed, MVA would go out on a wet or gravel road and activate the antilock brakes. And then he would bleed the brakes again.

smile.gif

The JOD did this on a friend's CR-V that hadn't had a brake fluid flush during its first 8 years of life. The JOD went out to a wet parking lot to "open up the ABS module" after bleeding (with plans to do a second bleed). Then, he learned a really important lesson: not all cars made in '03 came standard with anti-lock brakes
shocked2.gif
shocked2.gif
blush.gif
33.gif
33.gif

The JOD won't be making that mistake again anytime soon...

I've been doing this for many years(with each oil change) with very good success. I also do the PS pump as well.

same here.i also do the tranny fluid twice a year...i never have to drop the tranny pan i just aspirate 7qts tranny fluid twice a year...tranny fluid always clean and freash smelling.

Some comments about brake fluid change using turkey baster

1) I realized that my turkey baster leaks pretty badly at sucking the brake fluid from the reservoir
2) There is NOT much fluid in a typical reservoir to extract; no more than couple of ozs before I started worrying about getting the level too low and introducing air.

Do you need to stay away from dollar stores when I pick up my turkey basters?

- Vikas

Go to the local decent drug store and get a 'booger ball', the blue/green rubber suction balls (for noses) the hospitals give you when you have a baby. Seriously. They are the best things for suctioning master cylinders; they are impervious to brake fluid and the nozzle is pretty thin so it gets in to smaller areas like divided reservoirs.

Our initial pediatrician was a Porsche guy, we got talking cars and he sent me home w/ a bunch of these.

Originally Posted By: wings&wheels
Go to the local decent drug store and get a 'booger ball', the blue/green rubber suction balls (for noses) the hospitals give you when you have a baby.

The more technical name for this tool is a 'nasal aspirator'. You might also ask anyone who has a young child. They will have plenty of these things and will more than likely give you an old one for free.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back