What Oil cocktail do you have brewing?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a 5 qt jug in my garage. It has in it the left overs from top offs etc.
1 1/2 qt of Supertech 5w-30 syn, 3/4 qt pennzoil yb 10-40, 1/2 a qt castrol synthetic 5-40, 1 1/3 qts Mobil clean high mileage 5000 10w-40, 1 qt motrocraft semi syn 5-20. that's a little less than 5 qts.

I'm going to use it this summer in my '06, 6 cylinder ford explorer. Shouldn't be a problem. I just wanted to consolidate partial bottles and now I have an interesting experiment.

Tell us about your cocktail brewing

Last edited:
No multi-brand concoctions for me, maybe if I still owned a high mileage beater...

I do have 0W-20 & 5W-40 QSUD that will mate in either my '98 or maybe '07 Grand Marquis next year when it's time for spring oil changes... Neither of these vehicles have yet crossed 50K mi, but are getting close...

The next OC for my Focus will be:

3 quarts ServicePro 5w-20 synblend (SM)
1 quart Havoline 5w-20 conventional (SN)
0.5 quarts Mobil 1 0w-20 (SM)

And a ToughGuard 3614 Fram filter

Altima
2 qts QSTP 5&10W30(1 ea.)
2.5 qts QSGB 5W30

RX-300
2 qts PP 5W20&30(1 ea.)
3 qts QSGB

Mazda3
1 qt PP 5W20
3.5 qts Hav DS 5W30

I'm contemplating going to a PP and PYB mix in a Rav4. 2GR-FE.
I've been using straight PP for 6mo/5k OCI since almost new. Warranty demands for another three years. 2007 model with 43k miles.
The sump is almost six and a half quarts, and the use is brutal.
Cold starts, 8 mile one way commute, and 95% city use.
Am I kidding myself or would a 50/50 blend be an appropriate choice? Would allow me to eliminate a case of PYB that is not being used otherwise. (SM rated).

Why not?
These oils have similar add packs, so should work just fine together.
How much difference is there really between a GrpII+ and a Grp III?

I have a similar jug from draining bottles into that I use for oil cans and gun oil.
It should have: Havoline 5w-30, Autozone 30w, Valvoline 30 ND, American XT 10w-30 & 10w-40, Pronto 15w-40.

Originally Posted By: ChiTDI
I'm contemplating going to a PP and PYB mix in a Rav4. 2GR-FE.
I've been using straight PP for 6mo/5k OCI since almost new. Warranty demands for another three years. 2007 model with 43k miles.
The sump is almost six and a half quarts, and the use is brutal.
Cold starts, 8 mile one way commute, and 95% city use.
Am I kidding myself or would a 50/50 blend be an appropriate choice? Would allow me to eliminate a case of PYB that is not being used otherwise. (SM rated).

why not, sounds like you are making a synthetic blend. My explorer calls for 6000 oci with motocraft semi syn.

I'm not sure but, a toyota engine should like that mixture unless it calls for synthetic exclusivly like the Euro/Germans do.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: TFB1
No multi-brand concoctions for me, maybe if I still owned a high mileage beater...

I do have 0W-20 & 5W-40 QSUD that will mate in either my '98 or maybe '07 Grand Marquis next year when it's time for spring oil changes... Neither of these vehicles have yet crossed 50K mi, but are getting close...

Why? all the brands I mentioned all have good add packs and are excellent oils. I think my concoction up top, is close to 5-30 which this explorer calls for. 6000 oci and I'll do a blackstone after.

Originally Posted By: Klutch9

I used to use fram exclusivly until I discovered this site. They are not "highly thought of" here.

There is a you tube video out there that demonstrates product defects from the factory on the bypass valves. Fram was the only one with the defect out of all the filters that were cut open. Apparently this is a recurring problem, I dunno.

I ,now, use Napa Gold(wix), Motocraft, Pure 1, Bosch, K%N, and one of the highest rated filter is the walmart super tech... go figure.

My current fill in my Chrylser T&C is 1qt Supertech full syn 5w30, 1.5qts QSUD 5w20, and 2.5qts Valvoline synpower 5w30. Just hit 4000 miles on this cocktail the other day and 50,000 on the van. I've currently collected another 5 qts of extras that'll be going in pretty soon but it's just a mix of synpower and QSUD.

The Camaro's next oil change will be 2.5 quarts Redline 5w30, 1 qt RL 5w20, and 2 qts RL 0w30. Doesn't sound very adventurous I know, but 2 of the quarts of 5w30 and the quart of 5w20 were already mixed together and run for ~120 miles in the car last spring. I got what I thought was an abnormal amount of piston slap with the 5w20/5w30 mix, so I drained and re-bottled it and put in a 5w30/10w40 mix, which I ran through the summer driving season.

The Corvette is gradually getting a mix of M1 built up:
6 qts M1 5w30
.5 qts M1 5w30 HM
1 qt M1 5w40 TDT.

As the car consumes oil at track days, I top it up with leftover TDT and HM from the Camaro and the Dodge. It goes through about 1/2-qt a day. Adding the TDT seems to be increasing the oil pressure.

Originally Posted By: Sonic
My current fill in my Chrylser T&C is 1qt Supertech full syn 5w30, 1.5qts QSUD 5w20, and 2.5qts Valvoline synpower 5w30. Just hit 4000 miles on this cocktail the other day and 50,000 on the van. I've currently collected another 5 qts of extras that'll be going in pretty soon but it's just a mix of synpower and QSUD.

And I am sure your T&C run perfectly using this mix. I've been mixing across 6 decades and never an issue.

Dad had a gas station from the 50's to the late 70's. After each OCI we performed on a customers vehicle, we'd tip over all of the cans of oil into several large containers that dad had sitting on a shelf. We would sell this mixed oil cheap to truck drivers coming in the shop looking for cheap oil for their beater truck.

Each morning, drivers lined up to fuel up and get some cheap oil as a topoff. They only bought what they needed to get by ecah morning while they went around town picking up scrap metal and such.

I started tipping over qts of oil and let them drizzle into a larger container for the lawn/snow equipment. Thats all my small engines use. The rest of the units break down and poop out long before the engines ever die. Engines will run a long time with just about any brand/type of oil in'em.

A person would have to be using a really inferior oil and running the engine really hard to the extremes before it will ruin the engine. As long as we're using what is called for in the owners manual(give or take a grade), the engine will outlast the rest of the vehicle.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: GhostFlame
Originally Posted By: Klutch9

I used to use fram exclusivly until I discovered this site. They are not "highly thought of" here.
There is a you tube video out there that demonstrates product defects from the factory on the bypass valves. Fram was the only one with the defect out of all the filters that were cut open. Apparently this is a recurring problem, I dunno.

I ,now, use Napa Gold(wix), Motocraft, Pure 1, Bosch, K%N, and one of the highest rated filter is the walmart super tech... go figure.

Neither is mixing oils, but I've done that for years with no ill effects. I agree that SOME Frams aren't the best quality; the biggest beef with Frams IMO is that you can get a much better filter for the price. As a side note, the filter I'm going to use is not the OCOD, but rather the "tough guard", which is in between the OCOD and the "extended guard", the latter of which is accepted as being a decent filter on here. The tough guard I'm using has a silicone ADBV and better media than the OCOD too (as for the end caps, I have no idea what the tough guard has).

I used to use the OCOD on everything from my '89 Camry to my Zx2 to my ~290 hp SRT-4. It never let me down. I'd use one again too if given the opportunity. But again, the reason I don't is because 99% of the time you can get a better filter for the money.

OH, I went out on a limb and put the last 1.5 liters of PC 0W30 SM and topped of with about 2.5 liters of PC 0w30 SN in my Mom's van Saturday! Risky I know.

I'm not a big believer in mixing oils but I don't think it would hurt anything. Thought about mix different viscosities of the same brand for a bit but I'm not sure it's worth the effort. I have a feeling my engines will do fine with over the counter mixes.

I just ran a 50/50 mix of QSUD 5W-20 and Pennzoil Marine 15w-40mix in my truck for the summer. It worked great. Next odd ball summer mix will be 2 qts 20w-50 with 4 qts of 0w-20.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back