Will P0171 automatically clear?

Status
Not open for further replies.
2000 Toyota Avalon XLS with V6 3.0L VVT-i engine. Getting P0171 - no other codes pending. Cleaned MAP. Will CE light go out automatically after a certain number of cycles OR do I have to clear it by disconnecting battery ground (assuming of course that the source of the P0171 has been fixed)? Thanks.

If it already set the hard code it will need to be cleared. Then you will know if it's fixed in a few cycles if it comes back.

Disconnect the bat or better yet drive it to autozone and have it cleared

You can either have it cleared as suggested or wait it out until the proper number of ignition cycles pass - then the light will go out. I really do not recommend disconnecting the battery on late model cars...just too much that can go wrong. For one - your car will have to relearn all the driving parameter which should take less than 50 miles max, then you usually loose all your radio and other presets and that is a hassle, but thirdly - some cars loose power window positions and other items that you NEED to know how to reset or off to the dealer you go.

Disconnecting the battery is old school and no longer recommended. Go to autozone and get it cleared or better yet get your own scan tool - they are worth the price in what you save in doing your own work.

I must be amazed at my ford and every doge I have worked on for the past few years. No relearning and amazingly they hold their presets.

I think vehicles are a little smarter then that. If it's hard set key cycles wont clear the code

Originally Posted By: GMBoy
You can either have it cleared as suggested or wait it out until the proper number of ignition cycles pass - then the light will go out. I really do not recommend disconnecting the battery on late model cars...just too much that can go wrong. For one - your car will have to relearn all the driving parameter which should take less than 50 miles max, then you usually loose all your radio and other presets and that is a hassle, but thirdly - some cars loose power window positions and other items that you NEED to know how to reset or off to the dealer you go.

Disconnecting the battery is old school and no longer recommended. Go to autozone and get it cleared or better yet get your own scan tool - they are worth the price in what you save in doing your own work.

Thanks. Are you and Smokefan saying the same thing? I think he is saying the code is "hard" and will not clear itself but you are saying the code will eventually clear itself, right? You are 100% right on the scanner/code reader. I plan to get that situation resolved soon.

Originally Posted By: beast3300
You cleaned the MAP or the MAF? I would just clear it at Autozone.

MAF. Sorry about that!

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: artbuc
2000 Toyota Avalon XLS with V6 3.0L VVT-i engine. Getting P0171 - no other codes pending. Cleaned MAP. Will CE light go out automatically after a certain number of cycles OR do I have to clear it by disconnecting battery ground (assuming of course that the source of the P0171 has been fixed)? Thanks.

artbuc,

I don't know about Toyotas but in the Dodge cars/trucks assuming the engine runs fine it will reset itself after a certain amount of engine cycles. Just get the repair done and take it for a nice drive so the computer can detect a good running engine.

Durango

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back