Found a working Athlon 64 mobo and cpu in junkyard

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was at a junkyard getting a few little things for my 98 Civic when I saw a partially busted computer tower sitting on the back seat of one car. I separated the mobo from the rest of the busted tower and took it home. I took the heatsink, cpu and memory out and turned the board upside down overnight to dry out. Next day, I poured some rubbing alcohol over the board, let it dry for an hour then installed the board and cpu/heatsink into a case I had gotten from the side of the road (yup) that had a dead Pentium 4 mobo in it. The case had a good 160gb hard drive and dvd burner, but the Athlon 64 mobo had defective memory so I removed it and put in some spare memory I had laying around. So far it's working fine with XP 64 bit and Linux Mint 11 installed. This makes a total of 6 working PC's I've picked up for free since the summer.

One Dell Pentium 2 system
One Dell Pentium 3 system
One Compaq Northwood-based Celeron system
One Compaq socket T Pentium 4 system
One Compaq socket 478 hyperthreaded Pentium 4 system

I guess with the proliferation of 200 dollar netbooks and almost-as-cheap desktops, people readily throw away perfectly working older PC's as soon as something simple goes wrong with them.

Originally Posted By: 55

I guess with the proliferation of 200 dollar netbooks and almost-as-cheap desktops, people readily throw away perfectly working older PC's as soon as something simple goes wrong with them.

The "something wrong with them" more often than not is that the software needs to be cleaned up. At no cost if the owner is capable of cleaning the drive and reinstalling and updating their software.

Im using a freebie PC right now. An old Acer.

Athlon 64 3800+
165 GB HD
CD/DVD

Simply loaded up a copy of Ubuntu Linux and away we go. Compromised MS Operating System was the problem as usual.

I have a spare AMD 64 3500+ single core. My plans for making a media pc were put on hold(finance, moving). I did grab an old Xbox and was going to mod that into a media center but again its on hold :|. Lots of uses for old machines, a P3 is still a great CPU for surfing the internet, using XP or any variant of Linux. Even make it a network storage to keep your items backed up.

A new AMD single core cpu is 29 dollars, the 100 dollar PC is close to a reality right now. The last one I built was 154 dollars and it is a screamer for ubuntu and internet browsing. An older p4 system with an aging hard drive is not going to be even close on speed. Not even mentioning efficiency, I think the new AMD processors are 35w. The older p4's were complete hairdryers.

Originally Posted By: zorobabel
The question is:
What use do you have for them?

I'm still using an Athlon XP 1600+, I'd be happy to upgrade to a free Athlon 64.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back