first oil change on my 2012 Acura 3.7L

Status
Not open for further replies.
Planning on changing the factory fill soon on my Acura TL 2012 3.7L engine. Waiting for MM to reach 15%.

Plan on using Pennzoil Ultra 4 qts and 1/2 qt Redline (because I have two bottles of redline left over and plan on using these for the extra 1/2 quart until they are gone). Both are 5w-20 as per Acura recommendation for this engine. PU is a SM oil but Acura makes no mention of SM v SN in the owner's manual.

Any comments or suggestions or even warnings?

No problems with the mix. Honda does not have "special" requirements unless turbo I believe.

The only problem I can foresee is a problem with the receipts for proof of oil change. Since you have a mixture there I assume you don't have purchase records of the oil.

This is extremely cautionary and I (personally) would go with the plan you have. Just want to try to cover bases and I am sure you have thought of that already.

Nice ride!

Originally Posted By: chubbs1
No problems with the mix. Honda does not have "special" requirements unless turbo I believe.

The only problem I can foresee is a problem with the receipts for proof of oil change. Since you have a mixture there I assume you don't have purchase records of the oil.

This is extremely cautionary and I (personally) would go with the plan you have. Just want to try to cover bases and I am sure you have thought of that already.

Nice ride!

Actually have the receipt for a 5 qt bottle of PU. Will staple it into the maintenance manual with the receipt for the NAPA platinum filter. But thanks for the tip.

I think it will take more than 4.5 quarts since you are probably changing the filter. Since Honda recommends changing the filter every other time, the change amount they list assumes you aren't.

On the first oil change, I'd be sure to change it.

Originally Posted By: bepperb
I think it will take more than 4.5 quarts since you are probably changing the filter. Since Honda recommends changing the filter every other time, the change amount they list assumes you aren't.

Thanks. In the owner's manual it states 4.5 qt with filter. Have you ever seen this filter. Looks like my wife's dainty tea cups.
smile.gif

I've probably used 80 of them. I've owned quite a few Honda's, but also it's a common motorcycle filter (yes, my 500cc bike uses the same filter your 3700cc V6 uses).

I cut all mine open. I wouldn't worry about the size. They never seem dirty/clogged.

I've probably used 80 of them. I've owned quite a few Honda's, but also it's a common motorcycle filter (yes, my 500cc bike uses the same filter your 3700cc V6 uses).

I cut all mine open. I wouldn't worry about the size. They never seem dirty/clogged.

Thanks. I have used many in the multiple Hondas I have owned. Never have cut them open though. I thought the NAPA platinum with synthetic depth type media would be good for a first oil change.

Originally Posted By: MajorCavalry

Thanks. In the owner's manual it states 4.5 qt with filter. Have you ever seen this filter. Looks like my wife's dainty tea cups.
smile.gif

I use the Napa/wix 51344 on my 07 Acura Mdx w/3.7, increases capacity to almost 5 qts.

For Hondas, try to run the FF for as long as possible. The FF has break-in additives. I ran my TSX closer to the buzzer than 15%.

I am currently using PU and will probably end up with 10-12k oci for this fill. I haven't seen the oil filter every other change written anywhere. I figure that if I am spending the time to change the oil, the filter might as well go, too.

I've been using Pennzoil Platinum 5W20 in my 3.7L MDX pretty much since the FF. It now has 67000 miles. Zero oil loss between changes and good looking oil analysis. Typically use Purolator PureOne filters (buing when on sale).

I have Pennzoil Ultra in it now. My placebo meter tells me that the MDX likes it too.

Originally Posted By: MajorCavalry

smile.gif

My owner's manual also says 4.5 quarts. I've been running 6 quarts for the last 5 years.

I suppose I am only obsessive.

However, on a brand new beautiful car like that, I just wouldn't fill "right," mixing my oil. I'd keep it in the additives in proportion to whatever primary oil you choose ( in this case Pennzoil Ultra).

Just doesn't seem like it will save much money to not keep the redline for something else down the line rather than use it in this fashion.

Pennzoil Ultra is a fantastic choice. I'd just keep it pure PU. A great oil, a great car, doesn't need a mix to mess with its authenticity.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back