Chevron Delo 400LE 10w30 vs. Schaeffer #711 10w30

Status
Not open for further replies.
We have been using the 400LE for a while prior to that we used the Shell Rotella 10w30. We have tried using the Schaeffer #711 in a couple test machines and have had no issues and no noticeable differences.

So my question is : is the synthetic blend in the Schaeffers an advantage over the Chevron non synthetic blend?

I have heard great things of the Schaeffers ad packs, are they better than the Chevron? I have never heard a bad thing about Chevron.

Our main reason for considering switching to Scaheffers is, the synthetic blend, the fact that they are American owned and operated. And that maybe the synthetic blend will eliminate the use of full synthetic in some of our equipment.We used Schaeffer hydaulic oil this year and are happy with it. We use oil analysis on our more expensive machines but to date have not run a #711 sample.

What would you use?

This is for compact diesels and gasoline engines found on a golf course.

Last edited:
I doubt you'd notice any difference. I run 15w40delo400LE and get great results. I'd save the money and go with the delo instead of something you have to special order. Of course you probably special order the delo also since you probably buy a lot.

I can get the Delo within 3 business days or that day if needed, but I need to pick it up, about 30 minute drive.

I've never bought the schaeffers but IIRC it's over twice the price of the chevron so from a business point of view id stick with the delo400 and put the extra money into maintenance. Oil, fuel and air filters.

Schaeffer's makes top-notch stuff. Its availability is another story. If you have certain needs where the add packs would add benefit, Id go with them in an instant.

Bummer they arent more available by me on the East Coast. Id run schaeffer's in everything if I could.

I would just think about it in context to the way you posed your question. Shaeffers is a smaller American Co., their products are absolutely top notch, I have no doubt Shaeffers is Better than Delo LE and I would go with the #711 on this one. I would think you could run the #711 longer so it would make up for cost. DELO LE is good but Schaeffers is better IMHO.

The Schaeffers is about 4.00 dollars more per gallon , based on the last price sheet I had it may be a bit more now. They have been good to deal with and I get orders within a week. I extend some machines by 50 hours based on analysis I am comfortable with that. I know that I could go more but i have superiors and they own the equipment.
JHZR2 do you by any chance drive a ZR2?

Last edited:
The Professor wonders why you strayed away from the Rotella? The Professor recommends going back with Rotella T6 5W-40, or at least Rotella T5 10W-30.

Last edited:
In a former life I drove a 18 wheeler for FedEx. That was 6 years ago and all we used was 15W 40 Chevron Delo and changed the oil every 45K+ miles. Every oil change got a UOA so everything was tested. I used to hand pump that oil out of a 55 gallon drum in southern winters and it was thicker than molasses in the cold. We kept our trucks on the road 20 hours a day so there was very few cold starts. I would choose the 10W or 5W over the 15W anytime after seeing what cold weather does to 15W oil. Since 90% of wear occurs at start up I would choose a good oil that is easy to buy 10W or less.

Last edited:
Chevron Delo is a very good oil and made with Chevron's ISOSYN technology. I would stick with it versus the more expensive Schaeffer's oil.

I bought Schaeffer's about three years ago for my diesel truck and had some really good UOA results. You will find some really good answers to questions people have about different products. I would set a baseline and do some UOA's to compare the two you have a question about. Rotella has a T5 that you might want to consider in the mix so something to consider.

Good Luck
B

If you switch to Schaeffers, see if the distributor will offer free oil analysis with it. We have a Schaeffers rep trying to get us to switch our farm fleet over to Schaeffers and offered free oil analysis as a part of it. If you can get that, I think it'd be worth it but otherwise, I don't really think it would.

I would suggest that you ignore all the advice and then do you own testing.

There is nothing wrong with asking for advice, but often this banter (including mine at times) is based on supposition. I try my best to keep it as level as possible, but everyone is going to have a bias at times.

Sounds like you have a wide range and quantity of equipment to cover. You are in a position, apparently, to be able to get some UOAs. I'd do that. Try the Delo; run UOAs. Try the Shaeffer's; run some UOAs. Then compare and contrast the two. Why let guesses get in the way of facts? Why not tell us how it went, rather than ask us what we think?

Both of these brands will do a great job. The question is this:
Which fluid will best fit into your maintenance plan and provide the highest return on your investment while providing an suitable sustained level of protection against adverse events?

I can tell you that from all the UOA data I've seen and collected over the years, most all the large recognized brands do well when used within their capabilities.

Run several UOAs of each brand and type fluid. Then sit down and do a fiscal analysis. THAT will tell you which one to use.

The topic of cost is an issue that must be taken into account when "value" is sought. I'm not talking about "cheap", but "value" as defined by criteria of outputs/inputs. What if you discoverd that the "less expensive" fluid only lasted 80% as long as the premium fluid, but it cost only 40% as much as the premium fluid? READ MY SIGNATURE LINE and you'll begin to understand what I'm talking about.

Last edited:
If you continue to change the oil on the same mileage schedule, you will see very little advantage of the Schaeffer. In the long run the parts will be a bit cleaner with a bit less wear. If you change the oil based on the results of oil analysis testing, you'll run the Schaeffer oil longer and save money on oil, filters, labor, as well as reduced wear of the parts. Chevron makes excellent conventional lubes. I've used their stuff for years in industrial applications. Schaeffer simply uses better quality ingredients for better performance as you've found with the hydraulic oil.

7% gain in fuel economy seems a bit unrealistic to me.

Most companies claim (and can prove) 1-3%, situationally dependent.

I'd ask that you give all the details.

3-5% is actually concervative if you also switch out the differentials and tranny. We have been seeing 4-8% mpg gains in the big rigs.

I run Schaeffer's 9000 5W-40 in my 6.7L Powerstroke, I dont find it hard to order. Pick up phone, call, place order, at my front door within a week. Being American Made/Owned is another reason why I spend my money with their company.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back