oil rec for a 1988 300e MB

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have some good ideas, but am wondering what the masses here on bitog would use.
The car is a 1988 Mercedes Benz 300e with the I6 m103 powerplant. The od reads 195000. The car is driven twice a day for a total of about 75 miles to and from work. Split is around 80/20 HW/City. I Have run about 3 rather short (3000) ocis since I got the car to clean it up, and it passed emissions with flying colors. Past oils used are GC, T6, and currently Castrol HM 20w50. Oil use has slowed to near 1qt per 3k, and during the summer was around 1qt per 1k with the other two oils. I would not be against extending the drain out even up to 10k, and would prefer an MB approved oil. Lowest temp this car will see is maybe 15f, and upwards of 110f. At a 10k oci, price is not really an issue. Will be using the spec MB oil filters, or a Mobil 1 EP. Oil consumption is the only troll I'd like to battle, therefor I've taken all of the thin oils off my list already. The manual recommends vis range between a 5w30 up to 20w50 depending on temp. Thanks to all for your thoughts, and have a safe and happy Turkey Day!
Will

Originally Posted By: Radman
Castrol GTX 10W40 or any other 10W40 with a brand name.

Yup! I used Pennzoil 10W40 in my 87 300E. Worked great! The 15W40 was to thick for it in my climate.

Mobil 1 0W-40 is recommended for your engine. It passed requirements that other grades do not.

That engine has had problems with the head gasket but if it hasn't gone bad on yours by now it probably won't. Valve guides are nearing their end of life if they haven't been replaced already. Watch for an oil leak under the distributor at the shaft seal.
Belt tensioner can fail and is a bear to replace.

Use the Hengst, Mann, or Knect filters.

'92 300 E
'92 400 E
among others...

I used to have a 1987 300E and I used 10W-40 in it. It seemed to work great. This was before they had the high mileage oils so for a current recommendation I'd choose a high mileage 10W-40 of any name brand.

That was one of the best cars I have ever owned (W124) and almost regret selling it.

Originally Posted By: FowVay
I used to have a 1987 300E and I used 10W-40 in it. It seemed to work great. This was before they had the high mileage oils so for a current recommendation I'd choose a high mileage 10W-40 of any name brand.

That was one of the best cars I have ever owned (W124) and almost regret selling it.

I DO regret selling mine. It was cherry.

Thanks for the reply guys.
It's done. Just put in 0w40sn mobil1 and an mb filter made in Italy. Looking forward to the longer drain. Hopefully the oil consumption stays on it's current downward trend.

Originally Posted By: 660mag
Thanks for the reply guys.
It's done. Just put in 0w40sn mobil1 and an mb filter made in Italy. Looking forward to the longer drain. Hopefully the oil consumption stays on it's current downward trend.

You picked a good oil. If you saw it dramatically increased consumption, just go back to a 100 percent conventional High Mileage oil.

The 0w40 is worth a try though! It's a great product!

If you run into consumption problems with the M1 0W-40, you might try M1 15W-50.
This oil worked well in my old German machine and it might do so in yours as well.
Good luck with your 124.
Good engine in a good car.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back