Castrol Grand Prix 10w40 in my Civic 5 speed?

Status
Not open for further replies.
So over the weekend I was replacing an cv axle shaft on my 98 Civic and a bit more oil than I was expecting spilled out of the transmission. Since the oil was dirty looking I decided to change it. I checked my owner's manual and it said a 10w30 or 10w40 SG, SH or SJ is acceptable as a temporary replacement, SG is preferred if proper Honda MTF isn't available. I went to Walmart to see what they had in an SG rated 10w30/10w40, and Castrol Grand Prix motorcycle oil was the only one that was SG and 10w40, so I bought that and put it in. How long is it ok to run this stuff in my transmission?

I would use a 30 weight for winter if you are going to stick with it, but I would drain it as soon as I could get my hands on some Synchromesh, or Honda MTF, I am currently using Pennzoil synchromesh, and it is the better than Honda MTF or Amsoil synchromesh in my 5 speed.

i m using shell helix ultra 5w40 right now. shifting keeps improving but i wont be using it more than 5000k. its a good oil but gears need friction modifiers and anti wear additives which engine oil lack somewhat.

i ll be going with pennzoil synchromesh. you may also choose new formula honda mtf. but my priority is pennzoil as positive experiences have been reported extensively.

i am always open to other recommendations though.

You can leave the 10-40 in there forever if you want. I think you'll have a hard time getting into first gear in the winter, though. A 10-30 would certainly help with that, but the current (after 2006) Honda MTF is even thinner than that and is probably worth it at ~ 6 bucks a quart. SG, SL, SM (gasp) probably isn't that important. Honda used to just recommend 10-30 and call it a day.

On our old 1998 Civic EX with 220K miles I used 10w30 Val Durablend cause I didn't want to spend the money on Honda MFT. It shifted OK, but not as smooth as MTF. No damage will be done using plain motor old.

The Professor recommends a good 5W-30 conventional oil. The Professor personal favorite, is Quaker State High Mileage 5W-30 for this vehicle.

Transmissions don't have internal combustion byproducts to degrade the fluids. 3 years or 50K miles would be what I would use as the fluid change interval.

Originally Posted By: aquariuscsm
Another vote for Pennzoil Synchromesh here.

Are you SURE you can its safe to use Pennzoil Synchromesh in a Honda trans ????

100% positive, It is a big thing in the Honda community to use Pennzoil Synchromesh, or GM synchromesh, or the GM synchromesh w/ friction modifiers, plenty of people do it, and none have returned with any long term issues related to the fluid that I have seen.

Trust me, if you could feel my 5 speed with Honda MTF in it, and then Pennzoil Syncromesh, you would know which one to use.

Last edited by a moderator:
I used the Pennzoil Syncromesh in our 2001 Accord for a bit. I don't think it's as good as the current Honda MTF, and they cost about the same. At the time, I did think it was better than the Honda MTF before the change to the new formula. But tons of people certainly use it in Hondas, I wouldn't hesitate to try it again.

For 2 bucks a quart you can get some 5-30 or 10-30 in there.

For 6 bucks you can get the Honda MTF from a dealer.

For 12 bucks you can go AmsOil or Redline.

IMO, what you're paying for is cold weather (below freezing) shifting performance. And I think you get what you pay for. But I wouldn't want to muscle the stick around all winter with 10-40 in there.

GM Synchromesh Friction Modified that is the ish to put in all Honda manual transmissions. It changed the way my TL shifted (no 3rd gear pop out, easy in and easy out).

Regular pennzoil synchromesh and gm sychnromesh aren't all that great (I believe they are the same fluid just packaged differently) but the GM friction modified is completely different.

Originally Posted By: bepperb
You can leave the 10-40 in there forever if you want. I think you'll have a hard time getting into first gear in the winter, though. A 10-30 would certainly help with that, but the current (after 2006) Honda MTF is even thinner than that and is probably worth it at ~ 6 bucks a quart. SG, SL, SM (gasp) probably isn't that important. Honda used to just recommend 10-30 and call it a day.

+1
Shifting could be a problem with the 10W-40 if you get a cold snap this winter.
The Idemitsu made Honda MTF is good stuff although the current fluid has the viscosity of ATF or 5W-20.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back