amsoil atf or royal purple atf max?

Status
Not open for further replies.
It was a bit tough to read, but I'd make sure it has a cooler, run it 1000 miles, drop the pan and filter, do a line exchange. Then refill with ATF+4 and a bottle of LG red and call it a day. ATF+4 is considered by most a synthetic fluid, and a very good one at that for Chryslers. LG red has a proven record as well, and is OPTIONAL. The nice thing about ATF+4 is even Walmart carries it. If you shop the AAP website and take advantage of some of their deals you can get it for about $4-$5/qt, not bad at all. JMO

Choose Redline, I say.It is 10.49 a qt at amazon.com and they ship free if you buy 25 dollars' worth of items.Get 3-4 qts. and shipping is free.

I am sorry to read that you are out of work.
There are LOTS of "first timers" in the unemployment situation and I pray for those who are out of work.

In your price comparison, please consider the price that Pablo is offering $8.60 per quart plus $11 shipping.
The retail price on the Amsoil website is 10.99 per quart in the 2.5 Gallon (10 quart) jug.....plus shipping.
I have not used Amsoil, and do not have the same vehicle that you have.
You will need to verify that the fluid that you buy is listed for use for the specification listed for your transmission.

I just looked up Amsoil Transmission fluids on the Amsoil website.
Amsoil Multi-vehicle Transmission Fluid is listed for use in the Chrysler +4 application.

Royal Purple Max ATF is also listed for use in the Chrysler +4 application.

Neither Amsoil or Royal Purple have paid for licensing from Chrysler (or the many other specification owners) so they must state "recommended for" instead of other language.
This does NOT mean that it does not meet the specification, just that they are not licensed.
1. They have to pay to be licensed
2. They have to pay to be licensed again each time they change their forumlation.
Some do not like to use a "non-licensed" fluid, and I would not either, EXCEPT when it is a brand name that I trust.
In other words.....Amsoil, Royal Purple, Redline, Motul and Schaeffers and others are well respected names, but are small operations in comparison to some other brands, Like Mobil 1.
I Personally trust those brands.....but some no-name brand, I would not trust.
Even when they state that they are licensed,....what is in the bottle may not be (the no-name stuff).

Also, someone mentioned the Magnefine filter.
I have used this on 2 of my vehicles and highly recommend them.
The IDEAL place to install the magnefine on a vehicle with more than 5K miles on it (vehicle, not tranny) is in the transmission cooler line through which the fluid is flowing INTO the transmission from the cooler.
This way, any dirt that comes free from inside the cooler will be caught in the filter.
HOWEVER, if this location does not work well on your vehicle, then the other line is FAR better than not installing it at all.
Make SURE that the fluid flow is in the direction indicated by the big red arrow on the side of the Magnefine filer body.

The advantage to using the Magnefine filter is that it is super easy to install and change.
It filters to a nominal particle size of 30 to 35 microns, as compared to around 80 to 120 microns of the BEST of the in-pan filters.
It has a large magnet that all the fluid flows over, so it catches more of the ferris particles from the fluid than the magnets inside the transmission pan.
It also has a bypass valve that opens in the unlikely event that the filter media should become clogged and restrict the flow of the fluid......keeping the fluid flowing through the cooler.

This increase in filtering down to a MUCH smaller particle size will serve to increase transmission life.

You can get the Magnefine filter under several brand names, in addition to the Magnefine brand name.
You may be able to find it on Amazon, or through Bulkpart.

Another advantage is that the Magnefine filter replacement does not require that you remove the transmission pan.

It is absolutely CRITICAL that the transmission cooler not be clogged up and restricting fluid flow or the repaired or replaced transmission WILL fail due to overheating.
Sometimes, when a transmission fails, it dumps crud into the fluid that becomes lodged in the cooler....blocking or restricting flow through the cooler.

The advice about running the fluid in the repaired or replaced transmission for at least 1K miles is that there is a increased amount of dirt present in the initial fill.
Driving it for this period of time gives the fluid a chance to wash the dirt from surfaces.....and have it caught in the filter(s) or have it in suspension to be drained out.
I have read several places that a brand new transmission generates more dirt in the first 5K miles than it normally does over the next 90K or more miles.
This is from dirt from manufacturing (like casting sand, etc) and from the initial break in period of the clutches.

The Magnefine filter opened up....filter element and the big round magnet.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back