'11 Powerstroke 6.7L Schaeffer's 9000 5W-40

Status
Not open for further replies.
I ran this oil for about 5,300 miles. Everything looks good to me. I was worried about fuel dilution at my 1st sample but that looked to be just the NEW motor wearing in. I did log that my 1st tank of fuel yielded me 10mpg, now im at 15mpg avg. @ 20k miles. So that could explain were some of my fuel was going. Think I can get about 10k miles next change?

TBN.jpg

Last edited:
I am suprised that the Schaffers sheared viscosity as low as it did at only 5,300mi. Doesn't the 6.7 spec 10w-30?
Otherwise everything else looks good.

This sample has less than .5, I thought the same thing at first glance but that was the first sample.

I'm sorry, I was also looking at the 1st sample.
In which case it did shear.
I sincerely recommend that living in Florida you do not need a 5W40 of any type, whether it is PAO or Group III (I think Schaeffer's is the latter).
Use either a 15W40 or 10W30, whatever the owner's manual advises for warm climates.
One of the high quality ones that are mentioned so often like Delo 400, Delvac or Rotella. Or Schaeffer's if you wish.
5W40 is for my part of the continent, not yours.
Incidentally, the TBN of only 4.2 after a mere 5300 mi is a bit disappointing.

Charlie

I agree with Charlie here; no need for syns, unless you're going to greatly extend your OCI.

Also noted that the vis range is "11.6 - 14.8" again on a Blackstone UOA. I got caught day-dreaming by that on another thread when I wasn't paying attention. I might have to call them out of curiosity tomorrow ...

I would seek out a 10w-30 dino or semi-syn HDEO as they are the easiest to find by far. Between W/M and farm supply stores, there's got to be a reasonable source nearby. If you can't find a 10w-30 dino, there are ususally semi-syns such as T5 or JT8 around for decent prices.

As for your UOA, things seem to be settling down decently. The Fe seems a bit high to me for only 5.3k miles, but I'm not overly familiar with the new 6.7 PSD engine, so I'll take a wait-and-see approach. I'd keep the OCIs at or near OEM specs for now. With a TBN of 4.x after only 5k miles, I'd not push this oil too far.

Last edited:
Thanks for the input guys. With me running a 5w40 weight what are the pros & cons of it as of now? Just that its making my wallet alittle lighter or not performing up to par in my climate?

What does the owners manual spec for your engine? You are spending alot of money for the results you are receiving.

I know 5w-40 is an approved grade for your engine, but what is the recommended grade?

Ford allows Max of 7% dillution on this engine. Yours is looking right on track to where it should be. If you have not had it in for the program update I highly reccomend it. it is a TSB and much like the early 6.0's keeping up with the program changes is a must.

In my experience your dillution will decrease and your mileage will increase as milage is put on the truck. Youll see more gains in the next 10k also both power and MPG wise. Ford program is what I can explain as being progressive on this engine. Meaning you will reach certain milage points and the programming gives you alittle more.

I'd stick with the 5-40 and roll 10K OCI and test again

Hope this helps

PS, I have only seen and heard of 1 engine failure with this mill. Luckily I got to do the replacement on one of our city vehicles. Only 1 that i have had to do major repair on. So far im impressed with this mill

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: dnewton3
I agree with Charlie here; no need for syns, unless you're going to greatly extend your OCI.

Also noted that the vis range is "11.6 - 14.8" again on a Blackstone UOA. I got caught day-dreaming by that on another thread when I wasn't paying attention. I might have to call them out of curiosity tomorrow ...

I would seek out a 10w-30 dino or semi-syn HDEO as they are the easiest to find by far. Between W/M and farm supply stores, there's got to be a reasonable source nearby. If you can't find a 10w-30 dino, there are ususally semi-syns such as T5 or JT8 around for decent prices.

As for your UOA, things seem to be settling down decently. The Fe seems a bit high to me for only 5.3k miles, but I'm not overly familiar with the new 6.7 PSD engine, so I'll take a wait-and-see approach. I'd keep the OCIs at or near OEM specs for now. With a TBN of 4.x after only 5k miles, I'd not push this oil too far.

Can you explian those #'s to me. I dont have a clue on what they stand for. 11.6-14.8?? Viscosity? 210*F & 100*C?

It's the vis range for the fluid at a stated temp.

Blackstone has quoted this range a bit off standard more than once now. I don't know if it's a typo, or something they do on purpose. The "typical" low for a 40 grade at 100C is 12.5 or higher. For some reason they have posted it as 11.6 on a few UOAs.

I made a mistake not long ago because I looked at the results being within range, without standing back and realizing that the range was "non-standard".

If you like Schaeffer's products, consider their 7000 Series 15w40. Like Charlie mentioned, the benefits of the 5w40 in your application are negligible.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back