Just put KREEN in my 190k mile F150....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Did I make a mistake? we bought the truck used with high mileage (appeard to have been all highway as the truck is in excellent shape)

I've been reading so many positive things on here about Kreen so I figured I'd give it a shot. My 5.4 has 190k miles on it and current fill is 5w20 MC. I put 16oz in the crankcase and 16oz in the tank.

When should I drain it? do I run it a full OCI?

From what I've read, people are typically running the KREEN 3000 mile intervals.....

BUT, there is a caveat....you're gonna wanna keep at least a quart of oil in your trunk....over time some of the kreen, and possible "residual" oil around the pison rings, will seep past the rings, causing some oil to "burn off" - this is typical of most any "engine detergent" I've used.

Seafoam did about the same in my Kia(s)...

MMO did the same thing in my 88 Aries...after about 1000-1500 miles into the OCI, I stopped for gas, figured I'd check the oil level, sure enough, the level was about half way down the stick. Some of the MMO had "burned off"....

Have heard similar testimonials with the KREEN - the SOLVENTS with their high flash point, typically burn off after a couple hours of driving time, but some of the byproduct is "left behind" to help with the cleaning, and "suspend" the gunk within the fresh motor oil you've added with the Kreen/MMO/Seafoam...

It used to be everyone was "up in arms" about running solvents in the crankcase more than 15 minutes....but the reality is, most of those solvents have such low flash point, they burn up within the first couple runs of the vehicle.....I recall my dad telling me how he used Berryman's B-12 CHEMTOOL as a crankcase flush.....but then a couple years back they totally removed the directions from the cans....likely due to "mis use" and complaints of damage done...in small increments solvents are a good cleaner. That is the key.

Last I read, it was typically 3 oz. of KREEN per quart of Oil...but you definitely don't want to keep topping off with KREEN!

What I do, when I use the MMO in my engine, I carry a bottle of 15W-40 (during the summer....) or 10W-30 (during the winter) and use that as top off.

Just remember though, don't go over 3000 miles with the KREEN/MMO/Seafoam in the crankcase...

Even though the solvents have "burned off" you want to let the suspended gunk/sludge/carbon expel through the drain plug, not get re-coked and dispersed around the engine galleys.

Hmm Kreen to 5w-20 oil, It might turn out being to thin. MMO is 10 weight, Kreen looks thinner than MMO. I would top off with 30 weight oil. I would change filter earlier, just in case, since it's first run.

Last edited:
kreen will burn off around 500 miles,. then you typically add more. i run it with 5/30 in mine, but i use 5/30 anyway....despite popular opinion. If it has 190k you might think about stepping up to the next grade, like a 0w30 or 5w30. clearences increase as the miles stack up and a heavier oil will take up some slack. jmo

Originally Posted By: ahoier
...after about 1000-1500 miles into the OCI, I stopped for gas, figured I'd check the oil level, sure enough, the level was about half way down the stick.

Never ever check your oil level at gas station stops. You check it in the mornings, when the oil is cold and most of it is down.
When your engine is hot a lot of the oil is still outside of the pan.
Many a rookie cab drivers made this mistake and blew their stem seals. You can overfill it to a point, but better not explore where the point is..

Originally Posted By: Y_K
...Many a rookie cab drivers made this mistake and blew their stem seals...

I'm afraid that of all the years I've been servicing automobiles, this is the first time I heard something like this...

Q.

You should have 'consulted' before the i6 oz of Kreen to 5w20. I agree it will thin the oil out which may not be too bad since it is getting colder but, I would top off with a 5w30.

As Y_K said, check when cold. A lot of people disagree with this because for so long we were told to "check at the gas station" but I never get a good reading when hot, it is always low (so much for thermal expansion). Checking when cold I am a little over so it stands with what Y_K says.

Had to add this...Does Kreen recommend you put 16oz in the gas? Just wondering because I don't remember it being like that. Seems like a lot. If it is wayy over recommendations run your tank half and fill it up again. Sometimes too much of a good thing...well you know the rest.

Good luck and wise choice to clean out the engine and free rings...best product for it IMO.

Last edited:
Kreen seems to do the most work in the first 1K. I would go 1K and do an OC then go to a 5w30 and run another dose for a full 3K OCI.

Mine reads about the same no matter hot or cold...just use common sense when filling and leave a little room for extra oil unless you dump 3 qts in it should be fine and usually if the oil is low most cars take max 1qt from LOW to Full mark on dipsticks so dont be a dipstick and pour in 3 qts unless theres no oil on the stick at all.

I strongly recommend following Kreen's instructions.

I used 2 cups in the oil and 2 cups in the gas simultaneously with terrific results.

...after about 1000-1500 miles into the OCI, I stopped for gas, figured I'd check the oil level, sure enough, the level was about half way down the stick.

Never ever check your oil level at gas station stops. You check it in the mornings, when the oil is cold and most of it is down.
Many a rookie cab drivers made this mistake and blew their stem seals. You can overfill it to a point, but better not explore where the point is..

Actually thats incorrect in most cases. The majority of engine manufacturers recommend you check the oil hot a minimum of 5 minutes after shutdown. The reason for this is hot oil expands and depending on filter orientation you can get drain back from the filter overnight.

It also helps to remove the dipstick and leave it out for a minute or two to allow all the oil to drain down the dipstick tube. This will allow for a "clean" level reading.

I have seen reading vary on diff engines. Caddy was nearly the same, and Lincoln was showing dry hot after a nice climb and 10 min of pause to take the reading. You'd put half-a-jug extra if you were going by that reading in to make the reading satisfactory. So, most of the engine oil is not back in the pan within 10 min in case of LTC.

Just double-checked my manuals - LTC, LS460L and LX. They say wait *up to* 10 min with no minimum given, so, you, gentlemen, are right and I am wrong.

From what I've read, people are typically running the KREEN 3000 mile intervals.....

BUT, there is a caveat....you're gonna wanna keep at least a quart of oil in your trunk....over time some of the kreen, and possible "residual" oil around the pison rings, will seep past the rings, causing some oil to "burn off" - this is typical of most any "engine detergent" I've used.

Seafoam did about the same in my Kia(s)...

MMO did the same thing in my 88 Aries...after about 1000-1500 miles into the OCI, I stopped for gas, figured I'd check the oil level, sure enough, the level was about half way down the stick. Some of the MMO had "burned off"....

Have heard similar testimonials with the KREEN - the SOLVENTS with their high flash point, typically burn off after a couple hours of driving time, but some of the byproduct is "left behind" to help with the cleaning, and "suspend" the gunk within the fresh motor oil you've added with the Kreen/MMO/Seafoam...

It used to be everyone was "up in arms" about running solvents in the crankcase more than 15 minutes....but the reality is, most of those solvents have such low flash point, they burn up within the first couple runs of the vehicle.....I recall my dad telling me how he used Berryman's B-12 CHEMTOOL as a crankcase flush.....but then a couple years back they totally removed the directions from the cans....likely due to "mis use" and complaints of damage done...in small increments solvents are a good cleaner. That is the key.

Last I read, it was typically 3 oz. of KREEN per quart of Oil...but you definitely don't want to keep topping off with KREEN!

What I do, when I use the MMO in my engine, I carry a bottle of 15W-40 (during the summer....) or 10W-30 (during the winter) and use that as top off.

Just remember though, don't go over 3000 miles with the KREEN/MMO/Seafoam in the crankcase...

Even though the solvents have "burned off" you want to let the suspended gunk/sludge/carbon expel through the drain plug, not get re-coked and dispersed around the engine galleys.

+1

Seafoam ~100 miles before OC to make oil black, "dont leave it in" it will clean some. You dont even have to, but hey, it helps clean.

The 100 mile advice is true because of the last statement, it makes the sludge more liquid and moves it around, and it does re-bake. Still, it helps, IF its going out in 100 miles or so.

Slow cleaning is what you want otherwise you are asking for trouble. Seafoam 100 miles before OC is safe. Half a can, or whole can. Only pour it in the oil if you know you are changing the oil and filter soon. As in.. 100 miles.
smile.gif

Guess that depends on what your definition of "safe" is. I'll leave the solvents out of my oil (Seafoam is a mild solvent) and just use good oil. Engines are expensive, and being intimately familiar with what it takes to replace one, I'll trust a company like SOPUS, EOM, AMSOIL or the like who spend the money on developing lubes rather than a company that makes solvents that says its "OK" to put it in your oil. What do they have to lose?

^^^While I use kreen and have seen no ill effects in 3 different trucks I must also agree with this.^^^

But if you have anything with serious mileage and issues with sludge, coked-up rings, carbon build up, etc., I would consider trying it.

It appears both safe and effective. But it isn't in either of my two 'money' motors or my SRT.

I also believe Kreen does most if not all of its work in about 1000 miles, so I add it for the last 1000 miles of the OCI. I like to use a product like Kreen during the colder months of the year. So that if there is any thinning of the oil it will aid in cold starting. JMO

Originally Posted By: demarpaint
I like to use a product like Kreen during the colder months of the year. So that if there is any thinning of the oil it will aid in cold starting. JMO

BRILLIANT! Since we're all running richer and slower in the winter that sounds smart.

Originally Posted By: SteveSRT8
Originally Posted By: demarpaint
I like to use a product like Kreen during the colder months of the year. So that if there is any thinning of the oil it will aid in cold starting. JMO

BRILLIANT! Since we're all running richer and slower in the winter that sounds smart.

Thanks Steve! I've been doing that with MMO for decades. Since Kreen has a thinning effect, which some people are concerned about, why not use it during the winter and reap the benefits of a "thinner oil" during cold starts, and clean your engine? JMO

Very good point, indeed!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back