Oil Recommendation

Status
Not open for further replies.
for a Champion Pneumatic Machinery Air Compressor built in 1947. I asked them and they recommended CHAMP-LUBE SYNTHETIC ($21.59 PER QT) or CHAMP-LUBE MINERAL ($7.92 PER QT) but they're both only sold in case lots of 12. I won't use that much in a hundred years.

I saw the thread on modern compressors so thought I'd inquire about an antique. They didn't have synthetic in 1947 (probably) and I can get some variety of mineral oil at an auto parts store.

Thanks.

That's my dilemma. Brand specific synthetic? And I don't need 12 quarts. I just wonder if I can just use the air compressor oil that Sears sells for $5 a quart. This thing was built in 1947 - it'll probably run on 30W but I'd like to know before I try. What's so special about air compressor oil?

Any compressor oil today is going to be superior to that which was available in 1947. With that in mind, you would be fine using any generic compressor oil IMO. I have a very old sears compressor in which I use any 30 weight oil I have around. No problems so far. FWIW--Oldtommy

Thanks. Not saying you're right, but your logic is the same as mine. I've got a 55 gallon drum of 30W. I can probably change the compressor oil weekly.

Compressor oils are tricky, most are not compatible with others. If you are going to change compressor oils you will need to flush and possibly have to use a softener.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back