Quaker State 'Defy'

Status
Not open for further replies.
I kind of like it, but it does make me wonder. At one time, high mileage oils, along with seal swellers or conditioners, had higher ZDDP and weren't ILSAC rated - after all, a "high mileage" engine is likely out of warranty, and an older engine might benefit from higher ZDDP. Now, that seems to have gone by the wayside.

So, Quaker State Defy comes along, seemingly targeted to higher mileage vehicles that need more ZDDP. Is this going to be another PP/PU situation? I have an application that could benefit from Defy. However, at least two things need to happen. First, it actually has to be available. Secondly, it had better be cheaper than semi-synthetic high mileage oils.

If neither are the case, once again we have an answer to a question no one asked.

"Defy" is an odd name for an oil. Defy what? The effect of advancing miles on older engines? The EPA for mandating lower SAPS oils? Maybe it does have some appeal from a marketing standpoint.

Last edited:
Well to "defy" means to challenge something, namely the impossible. Perhaps it will "defy" engine wear?

The same oil can be applied by our wives to reduce wrinkles around their eyes and defy age. This is a first product of a new generation product line that defies and promotes harmony at the same time. Age of Aquarius is upon us!

ProductLarge2495.jpg

Name: Quaker State Defy
Description: Quaker State Defy is a new kind of motor oil that saves car owners money by extending the life of their engines, especially ones with miles on them. It does so with an advanced anti-wear system proven in tests to prevent up to 98% of future engine wear.
Details:
Quaker State Defy saves car owners money by stopping engine wear in its tracks. In recent tests with real engines, Quaker State Defy was shown to prevent up to 98% of future engine wear, extending the life of engines.

It does so thanks to an advanced anti-wear system that greatly increases the amount of zinc in the oil. Zinc has long been recognized as an outstanding anti-wear agent in combustion engines. Oil makers, however, had been forced to limit the amount of zinc in modern oils because it interfered with the performance of current emission system equipment.

With Quaker State Defy synthetic blend, we’ve innovated a way to add 50% more zinc-based anti-wear additives (ZDDP) than the latest GF5 oil specifications call for, without risk to emission system equipment.

Quaker State Defy is especially welcome news for owners of older and used cars, but they needn’t wait ‘til they reach 75,000 miles. The sooner they start using it, the sooner they can stop engine wear in its tracks.

Last edited:
Cool. I will definitely buy some if I can find it. My Jeep should love it...and all our cars are pretty old.

Interesting that the press release was from Canada, and they mention it will be on shelves in Canada next spring.

Now, looking at the bottle...is this just going to replace QS HM oil? Is it just a guarateed high-zinc version of the current HM oil they have?

While I think this oil is mostly marketing-dept genius, I think it makes a good point.

Anyone remember the quaker state hi mileage oils that didn't even have the API donuts on them?

It wouldn't surprise me if this is a resurrected additive package formula from back in the day that has been blended with new generation base oils. This one will be an interesting one to keep an eye on because without the new standards and relying on Zinc for "older engines" seems to fly right in the face of what the EPA is trying to accomplish.

Be glad. Now the wives won't go to Macy to buy an ounce of anti-wrinkle for hundreds of dollar. Instead, they'll go to auto store with you to buy this special oil for less than $10 per qt. lol

Originally Posted By: Xstang
Anyone remember the quaker state hi mileage oils that didn't even have the API donuts on them?

I do, along with other brands' high mileage offerings. I always questioned the wisdom of getting a modern ILSAC (or even a modern API) certification for a high mileage oil. My high mileage truck is long, long out of warranty. Higher ZDDP would be a "nice to have" thing for it. QS HM can often be found on a nice sale. With reduced ZDDP, there's no point in me paying extra for QS HM, when I can get other modern oils far cheaper, or an HDEO for a competitive price. Then again, if they want people with new vehicles under warranty to pony up the extra bucks, those people might want to see the donuts.

Originally Posted By: Solarent
This one will be an interesting one to keep an eye on because without the new standards and relying on Zinc for "older engines" seems to fly right in the face of what the EPA is trying to accomplish.

I'm assuming this won't be ILSAC certified. However, as was already pointed out, Quaker State, a number of years back, introduced an oil with elevated ZDDP levels, seal conditioners, and no modern API/ILSAC certifications. Unfortunately, they decided to pursue modern certifications and now are starting all over again.

I just saw this oil being put out at my local walmart. They had it priced same as QSHM , and seemed like they were replacing that oil with the DEFY. They only had 5w-20 out but looked at the back of the 5qt jug and it said it was a syn blend that meets the specs of API SL , so this must be a oil very high in ZDDP.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back