how long can an engine go without an oil change?

Status
Not open for further replies.
So say you just never changed the oil period. How long do you think it would run before the engine throws a rod or something like that?

Depends on the oil you started with....

I have seen friends go 10-15K on quick lube changes on "accident" their cars have not died yet...

Last edited by a moderator:
At a defunct company where I once worked, there was this alcoholic bozo of a supervisor who was given a brand new company car. He never even raised the hood for 26,000 miles, and finally blew the engine.

My sister's ex-boyfriend bought a brand new Tundra and went 40K without lifting the hood before the engine seized. Kid thought that oil changes were only for cars from the 80s.

I maintain a rental car fleet and I've seen at least a dozen cars come through that were on the factory fill & filter @ 30,000. The oil was usually thick and ashy like a really beat up diesel oil.

60k miles maxis the going rate. I've read several threads here and elsewhere, and that's what people get. Also had a friend that worked at a gas station...a lady's car wouldn't start; she had 60k and had never changed the oil, although she'd put some in to keep it at the proper level (???!!)

Based on things I've read here and elsewhere, a new car will last 40k if you don't add oil and 70 K if you replace oil consumed.

Think about it. All of the 40 or so oil changes that you do only get you from 70 to 200k or however long until the car dies for other reasons.

So tell me again why people spend so much money on premium oils?

Originally Posted By: Burt
Based on things I've read here and elsewhere, a new car will last 40k if you don't add oil and 70 K if you replace oil consumed.

Think about it. All of the 40 or so oil changes that you do only get you from 70 to 200k or however long until the car dies for other reasons.

So tell me again why people spend so much money on premium oils?

Which is exactly the reason why i now laugh at people who change their oil every 3,000 miles.

I honestly don't see a reason to spend more money on maintenance then you really have too. Owning a car is already ridiculously expensive as is without adding to it with excessive maintenance.

This site has converted me. I used to be a 3k OCI kinda guy.

Thanks guys
thumbsup2.gif

10.gif

The engine usually dies from sludge clogging the oil pickup screen. 35,000-80,000 miles is what Ive seen but those engines all came with conventional oil. Its possible some cars with synthetics might go over 100,000 miles before failure.

Hello, I know this doesn't address the question as asked, but...Once I heard a lady's car clacking in a parking lot in Ticonderoga, NY. I mentioned to her that her oil was probably low and offered to check it. When I pulled the dipstick it broke off at the top of the tube. I suggested that she go to a local garage and have an oil change. The look of horror on her face amazed me. I bet she's one who never lifted the hood nor trusts any mechanic. Kira

A couple weeks back my neighbor noticed me tipping my lawn mower onto its side. He asked what I was doing and I let him know I was doing my winterizing oil change in the mower. He said he bought his Craftsman mower in 1998 and has never changed the oil. The motor still has original plug and oil, and it starts 1st pull everytime. If I had to guess, this engine gets ran 40-50 hours a year. 500+ hours and still running on factory fill

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Kira
Hello, I know this doesn't address the question as asked, but...Once I heard a lady's car clacking in a parking lot in Ticonderoga, NY. I mentioned to her that her oil was probably low and offered to check it. When I pulled the dipstick it broke off at the top of the tube. I suggested that she go to a local garage and have an oil change. The look of horror on her face amazed me. I bet she's one who never lifted the hood nor trusts any mechanic. Kira

Nissan by chance? They always seem to break the dipsticks, and they tend to have a small capacity sump for the engine size.

To the original question.....before it dies....? Or....?

I've heard of people conversing down the oil aisle at walmart, trying to "sell" their X product to one another.....as if they think another customer gives a [censored] what they use, right..? LOL..

Anyways, this guy told me he does 12k OCIs with Castrol GTX 10W-30 in his Ford Econoline van - I was amazed....he just keeps it topped off....though he did NOT tell me how much oil it burns.....

I could understand if it was a real burner.....it would become "filter changes" every 3k, rather than "oil and filter" changes every 3k
wink.gif
Since the oil is constantly being rejuvenated....don't see a problem there.......but yes, definitely gotta keep watch on that filter.....

My car, sheesh, lost about 3/4 quart within 7k miles.....

Originally Posted By: ahoier
To the original question.....before it dies....? Or....?

I've heard of people conversing down the oil aisle at walmart, trying to "sell" their X product to one another.....as if they think another customer gives a [censored] what they use, right..? LOL..

Anyways, this guy told me he does 12k OCIs with Castrol GTX 10W-30 in his Ford Econoline van - I was amazed....he just keeps it topped off....though he did NOT tell me how much oil it burns.....

I could understand if it was a real burner.....it would become "filter changes" every 3k, rather than "oil and filter" changes every 3k
wink.gif
Since the oil is constantly being rejuvenated....don't see a problem there.......but yes, definitely gotta keep watch on that filter.....

My car, sheesh, lost about 3/4 quart within 7k miles.....

ahoier, Which Wallyworld do you go to? Is it the one in Merritt Island?

Last edited:
I remember a local mechanic telling my dad about a 318 he replaced in a late 90s Dodge Ram. The owner bought it new and ran the factory fill for 50K+ before the engine blew. The guy was actually adamant that Chrysler should give him a new engine under warranty!

Changing the oil is about the easiest thing you can do to a car. I find it easier to change the oil than washing the car.

Originally Posted By: motor_oil_madman
So say you just never changed the oil period. How long do you think it would run before the engine throws a rod or something like that?

All such engines I've ever heard of simply seized. None threw parts.

My brother-in-law has worked for several dealerships. He's seen four or five of these seized engines, all of which had the factory oil filter still attached. Mileages ranged from about 40K to 50K miles.

A salesman I once knew had a Toyota Previa. He bought it brand-new, and never had the oil changed (by his own admission). The Previa made it to about 40K before the engine ground to a halt.

Originally Posted By: Merkava_4
Changing the oil is about the easiest thing you can do to a car. I find it easier to change the oil than washing the car.
I think id rather wash mine. My truck takes too much oil and is a pain when it comes to getting rid of it all and pouring it all back into the jugs.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back