Dual gas tank problem with a Ford

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm having some fuel problems with my 88 f-150. Its is a dual tank model and the other day I was driving on the back tank and the truck just cut off. I immediately swapped tanks and the truck started right back up and I had no more problems running on the front tank. When I got closer to home I swapped to the rear tank again and in about 5 miles the truck started bucking and running out of fuel. Once again I flipped to the front tank and the problem went away. I was thinking I had lost a fuel pump. Then the next day I drove for nearly 100 miles on the rear tank before I began to have problems. My question is would you say I have fuel pump issues, or a problem with my tank selector valve? I have had some problems with one tank filling the other in the past. Thanks for any insight.

My guess is the rear pump. The selector valve works off of pressure from fuel to "toggle" between tanks, low pressure from one tank wont make the inside rotate to send the fuel to the engine. The third pump under the cab will help the truck run a bit (sputter) but it needs the in tank one as well.

Originally Posted By: nwjones18
... or a problem with my tank selector valve? I have had some problems with one tank filling the other in the past.

Was the valve (aka Dual Function Reservoir) replaced at that time?

That vehicle has 3 fuel pumps, if it's set up like my 88 E-150. One pump on the rail, and one in each tank. I'm thinking the pump in the rear tank is on its way out.

Some Ford trucks have problems with the duel tank system.You might want to check for rust in the tank that is causing the problem,it seems that rust is a problem area in some Fords.

Originally Posted By: TooManyWheels
Originally Posted By: nwjones18
... or a problem with my tank selector valve? I have had some problems with one tank filling the other in the past.

Was the valve (aka Dual Function Reservoir) replaced at that time?

No it only did this a couple times so I just run the front tank out first, in case the back tank decides to fill the front tank. I guess I guess I will think about changing the back pump. Its been running on that tank all day though. Intermittent problems are such a pain! thanks though

I'm for fuel pump or selector valve..probably fuel pump more so.

switch to the rear tank and check fuel pressure...

I just was looking through my old post and realized I didn't update this. I replaced the rear pump/sender and haven't had any more problems. Also found a kinked fuel line that may have been part of the pressure issue.

If you ever get sick of all that 2 tank nonsense you can splice the hoses and by pass the selector valve. That's what's i did on mine

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back