Napa FIlters

Status
Not open for further replies.
I weas lurking the Napa site today an realized I should probably look ito buyig cases of filters for my sonata, The Napa Gold filters were 7.69 per filter individually or 7.29 each in a case, but the Napa Proselect filters were 3.29 each individually or 2.29 each for a case. The better deal is clearly the pro select so is there any reason I shouldnt go for this deal? I do 3-5k OCI max so im thinking pro select will be fine.

Call your local Hyundai dealer and get a price for filters. Hyundais seem to do better on OEM filters and they are competitively priced. Good Luck...

I am waiting for the napa oil filters to go on sale again. I'm planning on picking up some platinums, but not until they're on special. Too bad NAPA won't put up their November flyer/ad... It's only November 9th

Originally Posted By: Milkman
Call your local Hyundai dealer and get a price for filters. Hyundais seem to do better on OEM filters and they are competitively priced. Good Luck...
Especially as long as you are under powertrain warranty-the $ you save isn't worth the potential aggravation at the dealer later!

My local NAPAs give employees of our workplace a discount on NAPA Gold oil and air filters. My 1348 oil filters cost $3.65. Filter nirvana!

Originally Posted By: daman
If your only doing 3-5k the NPS will do tho im not impressed by them at all.

+1.
Get a better filter than PS.
The media is porous and will probably never load up to get to high enough dirt catching efficiency in that little amount of mileage.

Thats what I thought especially cause the Hyundai tends to be picky about filters, Ill try to find some better deals out there I wish the better Napaones were cheaper in bulk i have a stash of Bosch Distance plus that I got for around 3.50 a filter for now

Why don't you order a case of Wix filters from Rockauto.com or Fleetfilter.com? Its the same filter, but a lot cheaper per unit if you are ordering a case.

Go for the gold. I used to think the ProSelect would probably decent as it was supposed to be some kind of WIX product.

But after removing a Motorcraft FL-820S equivalent proselect off a neighbors car once it was clear the bypass was broke or missing as the filter was rattling around inside the can.

No Thanks, IMO.

Originally Posted By: Milkman

I agree.They usually have buy 3, get 1 free sales also.A few months ago I got filters for my Hyundai for 5 dollars.Their filtering elements are bigger/longer than corresponding NAPA/WIX filters.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: river_rat

+1.
The media is porous and will probably never load up to get to high enough dirt catching efficiency in that little amount of mileage.
I haven't been on this site in some time...what happened with this filter??? When I first joined, this filter was in high ranking. Now people are saying they are garbage? What happened? Are they made in China now???

ProSelect are great filters. I run them on my 1991 mercury colony park and have no problems. i keep them on 1 year and haven't had any issues. Gold are good if you are running a sports car engine or synthetic oil........this ProSelect is well made by WIX. metal end caps:) the combo valve is good too.

Originally Posted By: Caliberguy
ProSelect are great filters. I run them on my 1991 mercury colony park and have no problems. i keep them on 1 year and haven't had any issues. Gold are good if you are running a sports car engine or synthetic oil........this ProSelect is well made by WIX. metal end caps:) the combo valve is good too.
Exactly. I've ran this filter multiple times with no issues. I'm guessing that for some people to post statements like that, they had concrete proof. But hey, people call Fram OCOD...and NOT ONE can produce any proof that the filter destroyed a engine. If that was the case, there should be a lot of motors destroyed off that filter because it still has the stigma that it's the "best" filter out there.

As said, any filter should do 3-5k oci's. It appears the ProSelect is being superseded by the Napa Silver. And as with many/most of the ProSelects now, it advertises a nitrile combo valve design rather than a separate adbv and bypass valve. Not my favorite design.

That being the case, if limited to only Napa filters, I'd skip the Silver and go for the Gold. But that's just me.

I've had engine noise from Napa's Pro Select from what I attribute to the anti drain back valve design.

I don't think it is something to be too concerned about, however right now I am really digging the Motorcraft branded filters.
I prefer a filter with a silicone ADBV like the current Motorcraft, Wix, or the Napa Gold.

I don't do crazy long OCI's, so I dont feel like I need synthetic media or high end superfine filteration. All I care about is a steel center tube and a silicone anti drain back valve.

Originally Posted By: doitmyself
My local NAPAs give employees of our workplace a discount on NAPA Gold oil and air filters. My 1348 oil filters cost $3.65. Filter nirvana!

I went to my local NAPA and got 2 gallons of tractor/hydraulic fluid for $28. I asked for a discount, for buying local, nice guy, handsome guy, etc.

So no discount for me.

I paid the $28 plus tax.

Originally Posted By: NightRiderQ45

+1.
I haven't been on this site in some time...what happened with this filter??? When I first joined, this filter was in high ranking. Now people are saying they are garbage? What happened? Are they made in China now???

Perhaps better inspections of them. Plus they changed their bypass to a weird rubber thing a lot of people like me don't fully trust.

Originally Posted By: NightRiderQ45

+1.

Perhaps better inspections of them. Plus they changed their bypass to a weird rubber thing a lot of people like me don't fully trust.
Ahhh...this I didn't now. Now it makes sense. Thanks buddy! I will stay away now.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back