CHECK YOUR TIRE PRESSURE!

JHZR2

Staff member
Tis the season, temperature dropping.

Depending upon how your TPMS is set, you might loose 10+ psi before it alerts you! Thats a lot of air in a low profile tire like many cars have these days.

And of course cars without TPMS need to be watched because you just dont know.

With it getng colder, we can see some pretty big fluctuation. Some cold morning, before too long, go out and check the pressure!

Is there a thread from a previous november we could bump for this reminder?
laugh.gif

Originally Posted By: eljefino
laugh.gif

I've started many cold weather tire pressure threads! But it is good we're getting the reminder again.

I do a walk around every time i get into my Tacoma... mainly to look at my tires. I do the same on my wifes V. Pressures get checked often too.

Every couple of months. But I eyeball it at least once a week. I've noticed that it has to drop severly--like from 40psi down to 30psi--for me to really notice the bulge looks differently.

I'd be more anal about keeping it at 32psi or 40psi or whatever magical number, but so far, through several sets of tires, I've yet to notice any difference in tire wear, from 30psi up to 40psi (over that and I do get fast center wear).

When I drive down the road, I do look at other peoples tires. Low tires stand out to me. I don't want to say I can gauge the pressure by sight--but after a while, I think you can tell to 10psi or so. And you can see "drastically" low very easily. And, if you look at your own tires weekly, I think you can tell when they look different.

I dunno. I don't race, so I don't care about a 2psi difference. I also don't have TMPS (not on my Jetta anyhow), and don't drive so that I regularly engage the ESC that I don't have either. Between the rough roads we have, the high probability of having snow/ice for half the year (or leaves, or road debris), the tall/skinny tires I run (195/60?) and the age of my struts I'm not sure that my car would really handle that much differently in an avoidance situation if the tires were up/down by 5psi.

Only time I've checked prior to a road trip is when the road trip is going to be more than say 5 hours. Honestly, I think it takes about 6 months to lose 10psi; changing wheels for the seasons seems to require about that much air to top off the unused set.

I'll throw one in to this as well. If you have a Space Saver spare, it's supposed to be 60 psi. If you don't check it every oil change it won't be anywhere close to that.

I've tried metal valve caps, replacing the valve core, nothing helps other than checking and inflating.

I need to replace mine (again) but I make sure to leave a cheapo tire pump (electric) in the trunk. Gets more use to inflate other people's tires than mine (have compressor at home), but would cover me in case the spare is flat.

Originally Posted By: Kira
Hello, GOOD ADVICE except
1) People are frequently sooooooo lazy
2) "I can't be baaaaaathuurd"
3) "I never did that before!"
4) "I'm a brain surgeon, my tires don't loose air."
Kira

I put air in our tires last week. They were getting down to 28, 29 psi or so when cold, pumped them all back up to 35, 36.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Drew99GT
Originally Posted By: eljefino
laugh.gif

I've started many cold weather tire pressure threads! But it is good we're getting the reminder again.

Yeah, once a year I can handle. It's the weekly "Which oil is a true synthetic" and "When should I dump my FF" threads that sometimes get to me.
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: Astro14
Am I the only one who checks it monthly, or before a road trip, regardless of season?

At least once a week for me. Daily when I was doing fleet management.

Yep, daily here, too. But just a visual. We find that once we get a tire seated well on the rim we simply don't lose air pressure any more. These are "E" rated Michelin LTX MS and MS2's.

My car has an individual readout for all 4 tires that I check often.

Back