'07 LBZ UOA @ 175,000

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have 13 guages
grin.gif

Ahh yes....this is the kind of info I needed to better help me sleep at night! I have the same truck/same engine,and running same oil... and have recentely been playing around with a 120+ horse tune on my bullydog programmer...and was hoping that I wasnt doing much damage to her... "meathead" how high of EGT do you get when running hard??

Be very careful with the bullydog. The allison is not a big fan of it and will go into LIMP mode pretty quickly. High EGT's are okay for short burst, it sustained high EGT that is the killer.

Originally Posted By: Ponch
Ahh yes....this is the kind of info I needed to better help me sleep at night! I have the same truck/same engine,and running same oil... and have recentely been playing around with a 120+ horse tune on my bullydog programmer...and was hoping that I wasnt doing much damage to her... "meathead" how high of EGT do you get when running hard??

I'm a bit embarrassed to say I actually have no idea. I purchased gauges and an A-pillar mount for 'em a bit over a year ago, but got taken out on my motorcycle before I got a chance to do the install. I'm planning to install those (along with several other mods) during the holidays this year, so I could tell you then.

I do carry a code scanner with me, and have ever since the tuner went into service, and I can tell you the only "limp" my truck's ever gone into was the result of a 'low fuel rail pressure' code, NOT a tranny limp. I believe the '07 Allison can handle what the LBZ can give it in stock trim - mine certainly has, and the Allison spin-on magnet is crystal-clean at every 25k change. I don't worry about the Allison at this hp level. As with anything else, YRMV.

0087 is pretty much common with the Bullydog and PPE programmers as they are pretty aggressive on fueling. PPE has a shim kit that will help with the issue that works well, and it's only 9.00. Simple to install. The allison in the LBZ is a bit better but don't go thinking it's bulletproof and won't limp.

Originally Posted By: Smokefan1977
0087 is pretty much common with the Bullydog and PPE programmers as they are pretty aggressive on fueling. PPE has a shim kit that will help with the issue that works well, and it's only 9.00. Simple to install.

EFI Live is next on the mod list, so that problem will be resolved.

Originally Posted By: smokefan
The allison in the LBZ is a bit better but don't go thinking it's bulletproof and won't limp.

I suffer no such delusion. I've got funds earmarked for a Suncoast build already. Truth is, I'm kinda hopin' it'll blow up soon. If it doesn't, I'll just have it done when I get around to the EFI, 'cause that won't be any fun without a built tranny, anyway.

You may speak with Mike at Ingelwood Transmissions. He is the best Allison builder and the cost is actually less then suncoast is. He uses a propiatary SC converter and many suncoast parts but does some of his own machining aswell. I have built many high HP Dmax's and my expierence with mike trannys have been 100% perfect. never a failure

I find that a good Fluke laser-pointed IR thermometer makes a good substitute for gauge-fever.

Charlie

Originally Posted By: m37charlie
I find that a good Fluke laser-pointed IR thermometer makes a good substitute for gauge-fever.

Charlie

Yeah - but it's hard to drive the rig at 60mph and take EGTs with your head under the hood ...
grin2.gif

Last edited:
My name is Jim and I'm a Gauge-o-Haulic. Don't tell me I don't need no stinking gauges. Of course... I can quit at any time.

GaugohaulicLR.jpg

Originally Posted By: Jim Allen
My name is Jim and I'm a Gauge-o-Haulic. Don't tell me I don't need no stinking gauges. Of course... I can quit at any time.

Jim.

I still see dash board so you have room for more. How about inlet air temp or a drive-shaft rotation gauge? lol

Originally Posted By: Smokefan1977
You may speak with Mike at Ingelwood Transmissions. He is the best Allison builder and the cost is actually less then suncoast is. He uses a propiatary SC converter and many suncoast parts but does some of his own machining aswell. I have built many high HP Dmax's and my expierence with mike trannys have been 100% perfect. never a failure

No doubt Mike's one of the best Allison builders. He spent a bit of time on the phone with me when I installed my Transgo Jr. and had an 'extra parts left over' episode - helped me get it all straightened out and never asked anything in return. I've also spent a couple of dyno days with the guys down at Suncoast, though, and they're top-notch folks, as well. Since I'm in the Southeast, I've just been thinkin' it'd be easier, quicker, etc. to deal with them, but I'll definitely do an 'apples-to-apples' pricing check before I do either.

In all honesty, given my current cash-flow status, I'm hopin' that's a decision I won't have to make any time soon..

Last edited:
"Meathead" did you go the full run with just one fram oil filter? Or did you change a few along the way? If NOT that is very impressive!

I've hit another OCI, and have another positive report from Blackstone. I was headed out to Arizona and back, pulling about 8,000 lbs, so I cut the interval just a bit short this time. It'll go about that distance longer on the next one. Blackstone's comments are there to be read, and they confirm what I'm doing is just fine. I agree with the idea that dino oil is perfectly good, but I drive so many miles, I'd be doing oil changes constantly. I also agree with the school of thought that synthetic is only worth it if you extend the OCIs, and I think 25k qualifies. Maybe I will go 30k next time..

http://meathead.smugmug.com/Trucks/Williebago-Upgrades/i-gSVQkXb/0/L/Blackstone-228089-L.jpg

Originally Posted By: Ponch
"Meathead" did you go the full run with just one fram oil filter? Or did you change a few along the way? If NOT that is very impressive!

I had that previous time, but based on what I saw of that filter after cutting it open, I moved to changing the filter mid-interval this time. I haven't cut this most recent filter yet, though.

Very nice update!

AT this point, you need to start thinking about the condemnation levels you might set for yourself. The Fe is tracking with mileage and doing well. The Pb, Cu and Al are all VERY low on a "per mile" basis. The TBN is strong, the contamination almost non-existent.

Blackstone often takes a very conservative approach to recommending the extensions; only a few thousand miles at a time.

Some time ago I posted a link where some of the major diesel equipment manufaturers referenced their condemation limits. I would think 100ppm of Fe is reasonable. At that point, you could likley get near 50k miles out of this sump load, if the TBN and insolubles stay in control. Given your plan to FCI more often, that will also bolster the add pack with a bit of top off. If you did filter changes every 15k miles, and UOAs every 15k miles, I would not be suprised to see you capable of 45-50k miles, if all other things stay in tune!

Excellent example of safe, effective oil change extensions!

Last edited:
I reached another OCI, now extended even further (actually, even further than I intended...sort of). This one went 37,666 miles. Given Blackstone's comments, I think I'm gonna stick with 35,000 from here on out, but I may well talk myself into 40k with another filter change mid-interval.

Blackstone%20%40%20265%2C755-L.jpg

Last edited:
ABSOLUTELY OUTSTANDING!
Congratulations!

You are using a syn for the intended purpose. You are eschewing the tired mantra of "OCI early and often" and proving that longer OCI runs are not only possible, but pay for themselves.

You wear metals are clearly settled; in particular the Al, Cr Pb and Cu are all so low that wear is (for all pratical purposes) nearly non-existent. Only the Fe is rising, and that is completely expected and normal. GM does not publish condemnation limits for fluids that I'm aware of, but I'd say perhaps 100ppm of Fe is a reasonable consideration. I would not worry about the Pb; it's well withing "normal" variation. Only if you saw a very significant escalation in your next UOA would I be concerned.

The fuel, coolant, silicon, FP, vis, insolubles and even TBN are all very good.

KUDOS!

This is a perfect example of how to get the ROI on a fluid.
So very often, I get harrased because I'm perceived to be against synthetics; nothing could be further from the truth. I am against wasting fluids; any fluids. What you have shown here is excellent dedication and control of your conditions, resulting in an excellent pay-back from your expenditure. You have far exceeded the ROI and are reaping the real, true benefits of using a syn. And it doesn't hurt that this is in a Dmax, which has proven itself to be one of the best-wearing light-duty diesel engines of all time.

Stay the course; I'd say running up to 40k miles is not a bad idea at all.

I would suggest you consider getting a Fumoto valve, so that you can sample prior to dumping, and then be able to make a decision before releasing the fluid. I've forgotten; do you have one? The great benefit to using one of these is that you could sample on some reasonable interval, and know how the fluid and metals are progressing along the way, rather than waiting to the end of a guestimated OCI.

A few more questions: are you still using a Fram PH9100 (the OCOD?). How often are your FCIs (filter change intervals)? Are you running a bypass, or just changing the filter on some predetermined interval? Whatever you're doing, it's clearly working well.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: dnewton3
Stay the course; I'd say running up to 40k miles is not a bad idea at all.

Yeah, the more I study this, the more I think I'll push just a bit further. I had hoped to make it to 50k ultimately, and may do so yet.

Originally Posted By: dnewton
I would suggest you consider getting a Fumoto valve, so that you can sample prior to dumping, and then be able to make a decision before releasing the fluid. I've forgotten; do you have one? The great benefit to using one of these is that you could sample on some reasonable interval, and know how the fluid and metals are progressing along the way, rather than waiting to the end of a guestimated OCI.

I do have a Fumoto installed, have since 156k. I obviously use it to pull the sample at the end of the OCI, and intend to use it mid-OCI, but I've never thought of using it at the end, as a means of determining whether to unload the oil or extend the interval further. I'll definitely use that idea in the future.

Originally Posted By: dnewton
A few more questions: are you still using a Fram PH9100 (the OCOD?). How often are your FCIs (filter change intervals)? Are you running a bypass, or just changing the filter on some predetermined interval? Whatever you're doing, it's clearly working well.

I changed the filter this time at about 11k, and just shy of 25k, the first was a Fram PH9100, but at the 11k swap, I made the switch to a Baldwin somethin'or'nother (can't recall the number right now). I bought a case of those, so I'll be using the Baldwins for quite a while. There's no bypass filtration. My intent was for the FCI to be roughly 1/3 of the OCI but, as noted, the OCI remains a moving target. I don't doubt the Baldwin filter is a better filter than the Fram was, but having gone 25k+ with the Fram in the past with no failure, I'm not too concerned about the FCIs. I don't want to push 'em that far - filters are too cheap, but I'll change 'em when it's convenient and I've got some time rather than getting too concerned about sticking to a rigid schedule.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back