black soot out of exhaust

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've noticed on my Saturn that it blows out dirty black soot. It leaves a black stain on the ground them size of a baseball when reviving up. Sometimes its more than that . What would cause that? Please help thanks guys

Mine spits out small black spots too.

Are they spots that add up to the area of a baseball or baseball sized spots?

Post a pic of your spots!
lol.gif

I used to have some black soot on the tailpipe when I first started using TC-W3 but that has long passed....no more soot.

IMO....the soot in the beginning, at least for me, was carbon deposits in the combustion chamber being burned off and out of the engine.

I consistently use TC-W3 in every tank fill-up of gas with a mix of Chevron Techron fuel system cleaner. Three ounces of each mixed and added to 14-15 Gallons of gasoline.

Originally Posted By: JHZR2
My 135i burns no oil but Ive noted soot on the tailpipe when running TCW3!

After I broke my leg, I didn't drive for about 2 months, upon start up the snow behind my car was black as death- but after a day of driving again, it was fine. -If your car hasn't been driven in a long time, I wouldn't worry too much

I drive it everyday I just did a piston soak so maybe its all the [censored] coming out. I wouldnt think it would still be doing it

Originally Posted By: chevyboy14
I drive it everyday I just did a piston soak so maybe its all the [censored] coming out. I wouldnt think it would still be doing it

+1

Some cars shoot "black liquid" out of the exhaust that appears to defy all conventional explanations.

Its not Head Gasket smoke
it MAY be fuel smoke (but its not smoke)
It IS black and it is liquid
it drips out of the pipe
and it stains the ground as ink when it appears.
Then it goes away.

I too have not been completely been able to explain what that stuff is, nor how it gets through all that piping, past a cat and muffler, to the tailpipe.
21.gif

Might be carbon might be gas but its "black liquid." literally then it stops.

21.gif

Havent seen it in awhile but i have heard people with old Chevy trucks say they ruined their pants walking behind their truck when it used to do that. So its apparently an (old) GM thing. And again idk what it is.

Maybe its soot that is in the exhaust itself. Residue I mean and the condensation in the muffler and what not mix with it ? Just a thought but idk.

You ran AC Delco combustion chamber cleaner through it. It likely cleaned your combustion chambers and a number of other areas, you are now seeing what has been "cleaned".

Many Saturns have bad coolant temp sensors, causing an excessively rich mixture. The solution is to replace the sensor, and then run even more cleaner through the engine.

Originally Posted By: chevyboy14
The deep creep stuff I just used seemed like it was comparable to ac delco stuff. Pretty good for the price

So you've run a host of cleaners through it now, I imagine they've done some cleaning
wink.gif

Yea I'm determined to get it as clean as possible. It's like my little experiment find what works the best. The deep creep was good I wish the can sprayed a little better had a tendency not to wana spray sideways. But did clean pretty well. So slightly off topic I guess but if the fluid drains out is that good or bad? I have great compression so maybe the rings are clean which is why It drained down?

Burning 1 gallon of petrol produces a little more than 1 gallon of water. Muffler and tailpipe are cold enough in the beginning for the vapor to condense, combine with carbon in the walls of your exhaust system, and get sputtered on your driveway.

If you have a sloped driveway, park opposite-ended from what you're doing now. The crazy lady that lived next to us used to coast the car out of her driveway and into the end of ours then start her car, ensuring we got any black spittle.

Gasoline is C8H18. Propane is C3H8. Natural gas is CH4 and C2H6. Hydrogen is H. Convert it to hydrogen. Problem solved.

My driveway is flat unfortunatly. I live In an apt complex so.I hear ya about the crazy neighbors . We have an Arabic family who lives above us and they do some praising thing sometimes at 3 am in all white robes . They do this in the parking lot. But they're the same people who on 911 were saying America deserved it kindly to say I wasn't very happy. But thats for another thread.

Originally Posted By: spackard
Burning 1 gallon of petrol produces a little more than 1 gallon of water. Muffler and tailpipe are cold enough in the beginning for the vapor to condense, combine with carbon in the walls of your exhaust system, and get sputtered on your driveway.

If you have a sloped driveway, park opposite-ended from what you're doing now. The crazy lady that lived next to us used to coast the car out of her driveway and into the end of ours then start her car, ensuring we got any black spittle.

Gasoline is C8H18. Propane is C3H8. Natural gas is CH4 and C2H6. Hydrogen is H. Convert it to hydrogen. Problem solved.

If by "blakc spittle" you mean "black liquid" then have we solved why that happens?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back