Craftsman 2 stroke oil?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ya or Nay? A member here sent me some Stihl oil to get me by untill I could find a decient oil locally. In the mean time I found some Craftsman 2 stroke oil on clearance $.25 for the little bottle.

I don't remember if it's 40:1 or 50:1.

The Craftsman oil sure does seem to smoke alot. It's also leaving an oily deposit on the spark arester on my little generator.

Yes I mixed it with the correct amount of gas.

I figured that if it's good enough for a billion rpm chainsaw it should be fine for a cute little generator.

Maybe I was wrong?

My next test will be Torco GP-7! I used to run this oil in my dirtbikes and never had to do a top end again. It's EGD certified or whatever like the Still and Echo oils are.

Anyway has anybody ran the Craftsman oil and noticed smoke and oil dripping from the muffler?

That Craftsman oil carries no current ratings so I doubt whether it's of high quality.

I wouldn't use it continuously for years but if you bought a couple of bottles then it shouldn't hurt anything.

I personally look for JASO FD or ISO-L-EGD ratings on my 2-stroke oils. There are a couple of brands sold at Lowes and Home Depot that carry the ratings and it isn't unreasonably expensive.

A little oil out the exhaust of a two cycle engine isn't all that bad. At least you know the engine is getting lubricated. Chances are that unless the engine has a reduction gear, it's probably spinning at 3600 rpm. Which is very slow for a two cycle. The engine might not be getting up to optimum operating temperatures and not allowing for complete combustion. Or, possibly the engine is running rich which would indicate something out of whack in the carb.

Something else to consider is whether the choke is fully disengaging (if it has one).

It will be interesting to know if the engine continues to drip oil out the exhaust after you switch oil.

Originally Posted By: FowVay
That Craftsman oil carries no current ratings so I doubt whether it's of high quality.

I wouldn't use it continuously for years but if you bought a couple of bottles then it shouldn't hurt anything.

I personally look for JASO FD or ISO-L-EGD ratings on my 2-stroke oils. There are a couple of brands sold at Lowes and Home Depot that carry the ratings and it isn't unreasonably expensive.

+1 ECHO powerblend at Home Depot and Husqvarna LS at Lowes (also Tractor Supply).

Originally Posted By: callbay
Mystick has a JASO FD (the highest rating for 2 cycle oil for air cooled) rated 2 cycle oil. See it at

https://www.mystiklubricants.com/do/product/663096002

Check out the 2 cycle ratings at

http://www.7thgear.net/7thGear/Portals/0/2 stroke oil specs.pdf

I would not ever use a non rated oil. Why take a chance to save a dollar?

I bought some of the Mystik Lawn and Garden for my toys, and it seems like a top tier oil. Reasonable price too, and ordering it was easy as falling down.
I agree on the non-rated oil, if it were life and death I would use it, otherwise a quart of JASO FD or ISO-EGD goes a long way.

From Torco USA:
Meets or Exceeds

JASO FC / ISO-L-EGD

Sounds like a winner to me! Domestic manufacturer as well.

The low flash point "smokeless" oils are super clean burning, you should not see any snot coming out the exhaust if the load on the engine is reasonable. On my saws (which work hard) the exhaust looks spotless, my Lawn-Boy has just a hint of buildup, but I wasn't always a BITOG member so it had some iffy oils in the past, and my grass is never 2 feet tall so the load isn't always maxed out.

I'm using that Supertech TCW-3 oil with the cool bottle you can use to figure out how much oil to use. In our new craftsman leafblower and weed whacker, it is completely smokeless, and the exhausts are staying nice and clean.

I ran the generator about 2 hours tonight there is no more oil running out of the muffler in the spark arrestor screen is clean using that torco oil
It seems to run better it's not popping and sputteringg anymore.

Originally Posted By: Chris142
I ran the generator about 2 hours tonight there is no more oil running out of the muffler in the spark arrestor screen is clean using that torco oil
It seems to run better it's not popping and sputteringg anymore.

I doubt that it was the oil causing popping and sputtering. Unless the ratio was way out of whack. Maybe the carb just needed some fuel to be run through it to clear passages and jets. To confirm your theory that the Torco made a difference, switch back to the Craftsman oil to see how the engine runs.

I checked the plug the other day and it was on the verge of fouling. It was covered with oily gook and carbon. I scraped off what I could and stuck it back in the hole.

As for the mix ratio. I use a 1 gallon can which I fill up and I used the small red Craftsman oil bottle that said to mix with 1 gallon of gas
21.gif

I'm going to check the plug again to see if it got cleaned up by the new oil.

Originally Posted By: boraticus
Yeah. A fouled plug can cause engine miss. How long does the engine run before plug fouling?
I ran it about 30 hrs on Echo and Stihl oils w/o a problem. I ran it 11 hrs(1 gallon of gas) on the craftsman oil and it stunk up the yard and just ran bad. Ran it 2 hrs last night on the Torco.

I can't say whether Craftsman is good or bad, but it is 3.2oz to be mixed with a gallon @ 40:1. Stihl is 50:1

Depending on the requirements of your generator, you were running it on the fat side.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back