Kreen on a relatively clean engine?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a 04 Passat 1.8 turbo w/ ~ 105K miles. I purchased it recently from someone who appears to have taken care of it. Assuming the engine is relatively clean, will adding Kreen to oil harm the engine and/or turbo? I've previously used Seafoam in oil on 3 different vehicles, but I can't say for certain if it helped clear up the gunk, it certainty didn't hurt anything, or may be there wasn't much sludge to begin with.

My intention is to clean up the engine even if it has very little sludge build-up, but without the tedious 3k+ mile cleaning phase. I drive 5-7K a year max. To sum up my questions:

1. Is Kreen safe to use as a preemptive strike? (on clean-ish engine with little or no sludge)
2. Is it safe for the turbo? (1.8t audi/vw engine)
3. Does it call for specific oils to be mixed with?
4. How long is the recommended cleaning phase?

FYI... I'll be pulling the valve cover tomorrow to replace the gaskets and will post a picture after.

I'd simply use an oil like Mobil 1 0W-40 and change it once /year, given your annual mileage. You can't really preempt sludge. The motor is either clean or it's not, and if your friend maintained it well, then you've got nothing to worry about. Even if it does have some buildup, the easisest, no-headache way to take care of it is to simply change the oil on time from now on.

You can not buy Kreen, they do not ship Kreen to California address.

Instead of Kreen, you can use MMO for the last 1k miles before oil change.

My next oil change is due in 1K miles so the idea of cleaning up the engine appeals even more. I just picked up a can of Lubro Molly 5w40. I'll know how my engine looks on the inside tomorrow. Bare with...

P.S: CA laws are weird, sometimes obscenely childish.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Trav
+1 on the Mobil 1 0w40. Given the engine and relatively clean condition this would be my fist choice also.

Ditto.

Originally Posted By: HTSS_TR

How do you do this? Overfill? Drain some?

Originally Posted By: Unearthed
Originally Posted By: HTSS_TR

How do you do this? Overfill? Drain some?

Yes, drain out a quart, unless you vehicle uses, burns, or leaks out a quart by that time.

Last edited:
Pulled the covers today and this is how it looks like:

b5_2.jpg

b5_1.jpg

Now that we know the engine is fairly clean, is there any point in using MMO or ARX anymore?

Last edited:
I was sort of surprised too given the clean state of the engine knowing that these 1.8s are sludge buckets due to inherent design flaws. The oil filter on these cars were enlarged to compensate for sludge and I think it's clearly evident now. For the engine size, the filter is huge.

As for my next oil change, I bought Liqui Moly 5w40 synt. I know it's not Mobile 1 but it's made in Germany so I'd like to give it a shot this time.

My can of Seafoam is now fully reserved for the intake manifold
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: newhandle
The oil filter on these cars were enlarged to compensate for sludge and I think it's clearly evident now. For the engine size, the filter is huge.

Even with the larger oil filter the sump capacity remains below that of other 1.8T's. This is one possible reason 1.8T Passat's are more prone to sludging.

If you really want to see a large filter check out the Purolator L40316 or Wix 51333 / Napa Gold 1333.

Pulled the covers today and this is how it looks like:

b5_2.jpg

b5_1.jpg

Now that we know the engine is fairly clean, is there any point in using MMO or ARX anymore?

bowdown2.gif

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: TurboJim
The oil filter on these cars were enlarged to compensate for sludge and I think it's clearly evident now. For the engine size, the filter is huge.

Even with the larger oil filter the sump capacity remains below that of other 1.8T's. This is one possible reason 1.8T Passat's are more prone to sludging.

If you really want to see a large filter check out the Purolator L40316 or Wix 51333 / Napa Gold 1333.

The Wix is a monster, even compared to enlarged stock. Does it fit the 1.8s? I'll remember the name for next time.

The Wix is a monster, even compared to enlarged stock. Does it fit the 1.8s? I'll remember the name for next time.

Known on PassatWorld as the Big Kahuna it will fit without a problem. The only drawback it that it's a bit spendy.

Last edited:
^Interesting. Is that really a need? Preferred as a way to increase sump capacity some?

I mean, are the other filters(aftermarket) small in of themselves?

What are the efficiency ratings on the 51333 compared to what is normally specified?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back