Winter oil in tdi

Status
Not open for further replies.
What spec does the TDI engine need?
"diesel oil" is sort of generic.

I doubt any passenger car requires CJ-4 and most gasoline oils are diesel CF rated.

I would go with an oil that meets whatever VW spec is required for the engine. Although I doubt you would have any issues with most HDEO syn diesel oils also. (like RTS 5w40)

Last edited:
Another oil you could run, that has not been mentioned, would be a "Mid Saps" oil.

Look for Valvoline SynPower, 5W-40, European Formula, MST.

Advance Auto has a special on 5 quarts of Valvoline SynPower and a Bosch Distance Plus Filter for $30.99 before rebates for the filter and oil.

If you don't mind messing with rebates....The rebates are for Valvoline $7 and the Bosch D+ Filter for $5.

Not a bad deal for $18.99 after rebates, not including tax and postage stamps.

Just make sure to get 2 "Receipts" when you checkout....or buy it on line and pick-up in the store and you'll be able to print out your receipts from the e-mail confirmation.

I would switch to Mobil 1 0w40, but it isn't much colder in Milwaukee than it is here. I run Mobil 1 TDT 5w40 or Schaeffer 9000 year-round in both TDIs (2000 NB & 2006 Golf).

I owned a 2001 TDI bought new. Sold it at 142k miles. No issues at all with the engine (beyond routine timing belt changes). I used Castrol Syntec 5w40 TDI specific oil during the warrenty period (free, dealer changes). After warrenty I used Delvac 5w40 and Rotella 0w40 (Canada only at the time, no longer available) whichever was cheaper / on sale, it was mostly the Rotella. You should not use a gas engine oil. Today if I still had the car I would be using T6 and that is what I recommend you use year round.

I would run

Mobil 1 Turbo Diesel Truck 5W-40
Shell Rotella T6 5W-40
Schaeffer's Supreme 9000 5W-40
Amsoil DEO 5W-40
Valvoline 5W-40
Castrol Edge with Syntec Power Technology 5W-40
Castrol Syntec 5W-40

Originally Posted By: adamrc
Definitely do NOT run a gasoline rated oil in your TDI. Your TDI requires a diesel rated oil. I, like many others here also recommend running Shell Rotella T6 year around. It's a great oil for the price. Change it every 10K miles and you'll be in great shape.

Shell Rotella T6 has certification for API SM... so it's a gasoline rated oil.

Castrol Syntec 5w40 also has certification for VW502.00 standard, so it's a gasoline rated oil (as well as 505.00 certification)

Originally Posted By: UG_Passat
Definitely do NOT run a gasoline rated oil in your TDI. Your TDI requires a diesel rated oil. I, like many others here also recommend running Shell Rotella T6 year around. It's a great oil for the price. Change it every 10K miles and you'll be in great shape.

Castrol Syntec 5w40 also has certification for VW502.00 standard, so it's a gasoline rated oil (as well as 505.00 certification)

Syntec 5w40 is also API SL and ACEA A3, both sparker specs.

This is where it is wise to read the API service qualifications very carefully. Oils that read SM/CF, for instance, are formulated primarily for gasoline engines, but can be used in older diesels. Oils that read CJ4/SM are primarily for diesels, but can be used in gasoline engines. This is actually spelled out in the API specifications.

Originally Posted By: A_Harman
This is where it is wise to read the API service qualifications very carefully. Oils that read SM/CF, for instance, are formulated primarily for gasoline engines, but can be used in older diesels. Oils that read CJ4/SM are primarily for diesels, but can be used in gasoline engines. This is actually spelled out in the API specifications.
so how do the ACEA spec fit into this?

Originally Posted By: UG_Passat

Rotella T6 is rated for BOTH diesel and gasoline. I was talking about oils rated ONLY for gasoline engines and not diesels.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back