BW 44-44 Fluid?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Anyone know what the deal with this fluid in? Not that I need to change it now, but just wondering what the special fluid is. Of course the Dodge Dealer doesn't have it in stock, and I can't find any info on it at all. This is the Borg Warner 44-44 Torque on Demand transfer case. 4auto, 4Hi,4Low,2wd, Nuetral. Used in the new Ram Trucks.

I wish I could find ANYTHING on this transfer case. At some point, Dodge replaced the NVG 246 t-case with the BW 44-44 On-Demand transfer case. The NV 246 has it's own fluid. According to the dealer, the BW 44-44 also has its own fluid, but no local dealers had it in stock to look at.

It is unreal how little info I can find on this transfer case, OR even Borg Warner's Torque On-Demand system. I have no idea if it uses clutches. I would think it has some sort of clutches since it is an all surface AWD mode transfer case.

All surface AWD mode may simply be 4wd with an open diff between front and rear.
I suspect it has a synchronizer and can lock the interaxle diff "on demand". I doubt a truck application would have clutches, just sort of intuitively.
Do you have any idea of the called-for viscosity?

Charlie

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: m37charlie
All surface AWD mode may simply be 4wd with an open diff between front and rear.
I suspect it has a synchronizer and can lock the interaxle diff "on demand". I doubt a truck application would have clutches, just sort of intuitively.
Do you have any idea of the called-for viscosity?

Charlie

I have no clue at all. It is unreal how secret this stuff is.BW's site says nothing, Mopars site says nothing. They makes "Tranfer Case Fluid" which is for the NV246 older full time 4wd, but I'm not sure if that is the same fluid for the BW or not. The dealer was useless, everything else is useless. All of the other transfer cases use ATF+4 , except for the NV246 and the new BW 44-44. I've used BG Synchroshift in atf spec'd transfer cases in the bast with fantastic results. The weight is just about that of ATF, yet it is designed more for gears and manual trans axles and meets GL4 specs. My old BG rep told me that it is great in chain transfer cases also. (and it does in fact state that on the bottle. After looking at the weight's vs weights of ATF, they are very similar, and being that it is designed for gears and bearings It makes sense that it would work better than ATF in a T-case.

But as I said, for some reason Chrysler calls for a different fluid for those to units. I just wish I could find something.

I even emailed BW, and received a reply stating something along the lines is that BW can not recommend a fluid for their products because each OEM calls for their own specs and requirements. They claim that they are OEM sepecific and follow their recommendations. This sounds absurd to me. Ford, GM, and Chrysler all use a version of one suppliers transfer case. whether it be A NVG or BW unit, you will see NVG xxx in more than one manufactures vehicles. And while yes, each OEM may have different requirements or specs for their specific case, the fact is that BW or NVG is the original designer of the unit, and supplies them for different OEMS, and HAS to have some recommendation on what type of fluid should be used since they are the ones who actually designed the d*amn thing..

Frustrating...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back