14K on QSUD and PF61 Flter!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Changed oil in the 04 Trailblazer yesterday for a family friend with 2% showing on the olm.I have been busy and other than checking fluid levels on a biweekly basis, as always, i haven't given another thought to the mileage on the oil until resetting the olm and charting the current milage yesterday.Upon seeing the two numbers my first thought was WOW! Simple math quickly told the story.Previous change at 79,296 miles current mileage 93,579 miles = 14,283 miles.I am a not really concerned this is too long,it did involve a large amount of highway miles.Her recent job change has made for a longer commute mostly highway and all indications point to no issues.I should have sent it off for an uoa but didn't really think too much about it until i put the numbers together, and at that point the oil had been added to my 5gal used oil container for dumping at the pick up site mixed with other various oils.Should i be the least bit concerned? What i know about the GM olm tells me all is ok but,i am a conventional at 5k with a new filter guy,she provides the oil and filter and i do the work for free. Is this just way too long for this oil and or filter combination,5-30 QSUD and a PF61 filter? I feel all is well personally but would like your input. Thanks!

Last edited:
Yep, I wouldn't be worried. I believe an '04 should also be calibrated for conventional oil, right? Dexos came along much later.

Yes it is calibrated for conventional you are correct.The last conventional oil in it was QSGB 5-30 and it went a bit over 8k before the oil needed changing also that involved more city miles,plus the QSUD is Dexos rated oil.

Last edited:
I wouldn't worry. VOA's and UOA's have shown QSUD to be a very good oil. I have it in one of my cars which doesn't see much usage, and while it's been in 14 months, it only has ~3,000 miles on it. I'm strongly considering leaving it in until spring during which time it will only see another 2,000 miles tops. It still looks very clean when I wipe the dipstick.

IMO...You ran that twice as long as you should have. So regardless of what oil was used... the OLM says you can run it 14k. That's not right.

Originally Posted By: Warstud
IMO...You ran that twice as long as you should have. So regardless of what oil was used... the OLM says you can run it 14k. That's not right.

Think the olm could be faulty...i didn't take that into consideration at all.Do you think i should change by mileage and ignore the olm.

Just wait for your UOA results to come back. You might be pleasently surprised on how good the results are for your run. Then you can adjust your OCI accordingly.

You are smart to have the UOA done....its your engine and all engines are as different as motor oils and driving styles.

Cheers.

Originally Posted By: 4ever4d

Think the olm could be faulty...i didn't take that into consideration at all.Do you think i should change by mileage and ignore the olm.

Originally Posted By: 4ever4d

In your case yes...somethings not right. If you drive mostly highway...dino is usually good for 5k. Cheap Syn is good for 8k.

Not to mention the 4.2 I6 engine holds 7 quarts of oil. I've seen a lot of UOA with 10,000+ miles come back very good. I'd say no worries. 5K OCI may be good for some people, but not for everyone.

Imagine some DIY'r putting supertech conventional in and going 14k miles? As a mechanic this is music to my ears. You guys can say what you want..that's too long on conventional oil.

Originally Posted By: Travis99LS1
Imagine some DIY'r putting supertech conventional in and going 14k miles? As a mechanic this is music to my ears. You guys can say what you want..that's too long on conventional oil.

Until you show us the vehicle that had 14k OCI via the OLM on conventional and failed vs the same vehicle that did the same on syn and was fine over MANY vehicles your statement is not factual.

I'd trust the OLM over something/someone not factual.

Bill

Wow, that's awesome. I wish I could do this, dumped the G5 last week at 22% (~7500miles) just can't get used to running it that long. As said that engine seems easy on oil, UOAs have been posted with long OCIs and good results. Same can be said for the Ecotecs and I still worry....lol. I need to do some of my own UOAs maybe that would set me at ease.

Say what you want...I've seen too many motors that have had 15k mile oil changes on synthetic and the motors are far from clean at 100k miles. Some run okay,others have tons of vanos faults (bmw variable valve timing) due to sludge...do what ever you want..I don't have anything against olm systems. Based on what I've seen they don't always work 100% of the time on every single vehicle on the road.

Originally Posted By: mongo161
Just wait for your UOA results to come back. You might be pleasently surprised on how good the results are for your run. Then you can adjust your OCI accordingly.

You are smart to have the UOA done....its your engine and all engines are as different as motor oils and driving styles.

He didn't do a UOA on this oil.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back