Good 5w-40 Conventional HDEO for vintage honda

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ok its getting cold up here in Canada its getting into the low 40's with it dipping below freezing at night and the 15w-40 rotella conventional I have been running in my vintage 1971 Honda CB450 is starting to worry me on cold mornings. these old honda twins have oil flow problems to begin with so im sure its of no help for the poor engine to be trying to pump molasses to the top end..

I have been thinking about trying a 5w-40 or 0w-40 but prefer to stay with a conventional oil. And I cant find much in the local stores. I like the price point of the HDEO's but bike oil isn't out of the question, just has to be priced reasonably

Anyone have any recomendations or comments?!?!? Questions welcome too....

You won't find a 5W or 0W-40 in a conventional formulation.

Here in Georgia, I noticed this week that conventional motocycle oil is actually priced lower than conventional automobile oil. Castrol sells a 10W-40 and a 20W-50 motorcycle oil that my parts store charges $4.99 per quart. Their Castrol GTX 10W-40 and 20W-50 sell for $5.29 per quart.

If you want a reasonably priced 5W40 for an older car/bike...I would look for a special on Castrol and go with the syntec 5W40...folks will argue that it's not synthetic, since it's a Grp III, conventional, but who cares? It performs well in my 4 Runner, which has 226K on it...I am sure the CB will like it...

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: kballowe
Rotella 5W-40 is a Group III synthetic and is JASO MA rated for wet clutch operation.

This oil will work just fine in your bike.

+1

I don't know what the pricing is in Canada, but out here it's fairly reasonable.

Originally Posted By: kballowe
Rotella 5W-40 is a Group III synthetic and is JASO MA rated for wet clutch operation.

This oil will work just fine in your bike.

+1

Rotella is excellent oil for any motorcycle, ATV and OPE. It's some of the best oil you can buy and very reasonably priced.

Originally Posted By: paulswagelock
Peak makes an HDEO 5w40 conventional oil. You could look into it.

I seriously doubt it's completely conventional.

Just relaying info from their website. I have no idea, but it is listed as conventional.

PEAK PERFORMANCE SAE 5W-40 CJ-4 / SN HEAVY DUTY MOTOR OIL was designed to meet manufacturer's latest requirements for 2007 EGR (Exhaust Gas Recirculation) engines using Ultra Low Sulfur Diesel (ULSD) and exhaust after-treatment systems. PEAK PERFORMANCE SAE 5W-40 CJ-4 / SN HEAVY DUTY MOTOR OIL is designed to withstand shear down, viscosity loss and thickening from heavy soot loading and oxidation.

Last edited:
Just relaying info from their website. I have no idea, but it is listed as conventional.

I don't see it listed as conventional. I see it listed under the "Heavy Duty" category which could be anything. Has anyone actually asked them what it's made of? It'd be quite difficult to achieve such high viscosity spread with just group II base alone, I think. Besides, its low pour point and high VI lead me to believe it's at least part synthetic.

Possibly the Rotella 5w-40 is the ticket, i was trying to avoid synthetics as i don't feel there's much benefit in such an old bike. Also the OCI's are short like 1000 to 1500 miles max, I was also trying to cut costs as much as possible, but thinking about it the 5w-40 rotella is still cheaper than most "motorcycle oils" and i already know the 15w-40 works great for my bike

Yeah, seriously. If you're trying to cut costs, then use synthetic and run longer intervals. I mean, heck, even most mineral oils can handle 3K miles no problem.

the only problem with a 3000-3500 mile interval is id only be changing the oil like once a year, Not sure what im gonna do as of yet there isn't much riding left this season anyways.

Also the bike has known oil related failures like cam followers which are almost impossible to replace. So even though its kinda a waste i feel better changing it more often.

Originally Posted By: Chris_H
the only problem with a 3000-3500 mile interval is id only be changing the oil like once a year,

That's how often I'm changing it in my bike, and that's on mineral oil, too.

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
Originally Posted By: Chris_H
the only problem with a 3000-3500 mile interval is id only be changing the oil like once a year,

That's how often I'm changing it in my bike, and that's on mineral oil, too.

+1

I just got a confirmation back from the maker of Peak (Old World Industries) stating that this oil is synthetic.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back