Status
Not open for further replies.
Car: 2011 Subaru WRX Hatch
Total Miles: 8,317
Miles on Oil: 3,182
Oil: 5W-30 Castrol Edge with Titanium FST
Makeup Oil: 0 quarts
Filter: OEM Blue Subaru Filter
Driving Conditions: 90% highway at 65-70 mph. Occasional revs to 4000, 5000 RPM.

E76410.png

Html:
OIL 5W-30 Castrol Subaru 5W-30 Factory Fill

Edge Titanium (Idemitsu Lubricants)

MILES IN USE 3182 5135

MILES 8317 5135

SAMPLE TAKEN 10/21/11 09/09/2011

MAKE UP OIL 0 qts 0 qts

ALUMINUM 7 -

CHROMIUM 1 0

IRON 11 22

COPPER 12 34

LEAD 0 1

TIN 4 1

MOLYBDENUM 260 976

NICKEL 2 2

MANGANESE 1 3

SILVER 0 0

TITANIUM 38 0

POTASSIUM 2 0

BORON 61 166

SILICON 18 79

SODIUM 3 9

CALCIUM 954 1854

MAGNESIUM 1223 11

PHOSPHORUS 766 838

ZINC 882 1028

BARIUM 0 2

INSOLUBLES (%) 0.2 0.2

WATER (%) 0.0 0.0

ANTIFREEZE (%) 0.0 0.0

FUEL (%) TR
FLASHPOINT ºF 360 390

SUS VIS 210ºF 56.4 52.6

cSt @ 100ºC 9.17 8.06

TBN 6.7 3.5

According to the Castrol PDS, this oil starts at 9.8 cSt at 100ºC. So not bad for $6/qt oil.

Next UOA is Castrol Edge Syntec (the new black bottled one) in 3200 mi or so.

Quote:
[According to the Castrol PDS, this oil starts at 9.8 cSt at 100ºC. So not bad for $6/qt oil.

I agree. Castrol oil products take a lot of undeserved grief.

Why not run PU which is about $5.00 a QT in 5 QT jugs at Walymart. I doubt it would shear like this. The TBN is good, but then again you only went 3K miles.

Still a nice UOA.

Originally Posted By: Donald
Why not run PU which is about $5.00 a QT in 5 QT jugs at Walymart. I doubt it would shear like this. The TBN is good, but then again you only went 3K miles.

Still a nice UOA.

Most Energy Conserving oils shear in Subaru turbos. Although, I did see a recent uoa on PU in a WRX and it did stay in grade. I've even seen more than one recent RT6 uoa where it sheared to a 30 grade.
Comments copied from nasioc due to laziness:

You have a 2011 which recommends 7,500 mile intervals and your NASCAR qualifying oil still has a solid TBN, especially compared to the Subaru oil. Why not be brave and push it to a 7,500 mile interval?
smile.gif

I suppose by their comments you had questions about shearing. If you look at the shearing percentage it's not that bad at all. It's nice to see that there's a decent amount of moly, and a little boron, along with the titanium. It probably makes up for the low ZDDP. It's odd that they're using so much magnesium as a detergent/dispersant over calcium. I guess the wear is just noise from your engine still breaking in, but the uptick in tin is odd.

Why not stick with this instead of switching to the anti-GC? Take away the moly, titanium, boron, and high TBN and you've got Edge with Syntec.
smile.gif

-Dennis

I think Blackstone hit the nail on the head. If the wear numbers didn't increase despite the shear, don't lose any sleep over it. Would I use that oil again? Maybe, if it were on sale.

Originally Posted By: Donald

Still a nice UOA.

With tax, 5QT PU is about the same price as Castrol Edge Titanium at my closest Walmart - $32. Walmart stores pricing schemes can differ based on location. For some reason I prefer Castrol to Pennzoil. And I managed to snag some Castrol Edge with Syntec GF-5/SN for about $24.50 OTD at Pep Boys for my next oil change.

Originally Posted By: bluesubie

Most Energy Conserving oils shear in Subaru turbos. Although, I did see a recent uoa on PU in a WRX and it did stay in grade. I've even seen more than one recent RT6 uoa where it sheared to a 30 grade.
Comments copied from nasioc due to laziness:

You have a 2011 which recommends 7,500 mile intervals and your NASCAR qualifying oil still has a solid TBN, especially compared to the Subaru oil. Why not be brave and push it to a 7,500 mile interval?
smile.gif

I suppose by their comments you had questions about shearing. If you look at the shearing percentage it's not that bad at all. It's nice to see that there's a decent amount of moly, and a little boron, along with the titanium. It probably makes up for the low ZDDP. It's odd that they're using so much magnesium as a detergent/dispersant over calcium. I guess the wear is just noise from your engine still breaking in, but the uptick in tin is odd.

Why not stick with this instead of switching to the anti-GC? Take away the moly, titanium, boron, and high TBN and you've got Edge with Syntec.
smile.gif

-Dennis

And comments copied again from Nasioc:

Where did you get the info about lack of moly and boron in the new GF-5/SN Syntec? I havent been able to locate a UOA on it - but UOAs of the previous version of Edge with Syntec support your info. I just wanted to give it a try since its viscosity starts out higher, 10.7 cSt at 100 C.

3200 mi OCI until I find an oil I like...that's why

Originally Posted By: dparm
I think Blackstone hit the nail on the head. If the wear numbers didn't increase despite the shear, don't lose any sleep over it. Would I use that oil again? Maybe, if it were on sale.

Compared to the $40 OTD it would cost to get Subaru synthetic 5W-30, $32 is good enough to me. I think the Titanium oil is OK over 3200 mi - now I want to compare it to the new Syntec formulation, which I hope ends up shearing less. I mean, bottom line, Titanium PDS has lots of "OK" instead of real numbers in its PDS...while Syntec's PDS is more complete. Made me wonder.

@bluesubie: Nevermind, just found this GF-5/SN Edge Syntec 5W-20--> http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=2278880#Post2278880

Seems like the biggest difference is much lower levels of moly in GF-5/SN Edge with Syntec compared with the 5W-30 Titanium version. And of course no Ti. But I may be comparing apples to oranges since it's 5W-20 vs 5W-30 and I can't really assume that the add pack is the same...can I?

However PU 5W-30 and GC 0W-30 don't have much moly or boron either, and no Ti...and they seem to do OK in 2011 WRXs:

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=2323237#Post2323237

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=2313611#Post2313611

Last edited:
And of course I didn't even think that the high level of moly is also from the factory fill and assembly lube. Right PU doesn't have moly but the boron could also acting as an anti-wear additive. GC doesn't need it because it has elves. And EC oils will have less due to GF5.

19.gif

-Dennis

Right PU doesn't have moly but the boron could also acting as an anti-wear additive.

PU has some moly and in their reply to BITOG, Pennzoil said the boron is for protection of non-ferrous metals and sealing materials.

Originally Posted By: JAG
Right PU doesn't have moly but the boron could also acting as an anti-wear additive.

PU has some moly and in their reply to BITOG, Pennzoil said the boron is for protection of non-ferrous metals and sealing materials.

Thanks. Looking back at my uoa on 5W-40 I do see that it had 24 ppm's.

-Dennis

Originally Posted By: furiouswrx
Interesting thanks for the info. Elves, huh, that's the secret to great oil, it seems.

Yes. I don't make this stuff up.
smile.gif

Quote:
But for me, to be THE REAL THING it has to be imported...otherwise--if it were blended in the US--it would still be the GC formula but NOT the "purist's GC." The Elves, while they realize North America can be a wonderful place, prefer the quiet of the Black Forest when working so everyone can hear their tribological tintinnabulation.

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=715306

-Dennis

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back