how good is peak

Status
Not open for further replies.
I used Peak 5W30 in LS400 and 10W30 in S2000 last year, I had FAR 20 quarts Peak along with Proline oil filter from Pep Boys. Before Peak those cars had Valvoline Deposit Shield and Chevron Supreme, I did not feel any difference between Peak and Valvoline or Chevron. I think it's as good as any conventional oil for reasonable OCI.

It is made by Warren so should be very similiar to Supertech oil. It is API SN rated so it will easily do the job for 3-5k oci with no worry.

Its blended by WPP. Its very similar if not identical to the WPP (Warren Performance Products, Nebraska) Supertech. The buy base stocks from the majors (SOPUS, CT, and EM) and standard commercial additive packages from the major additive companies. The latest blends seem to be similar to Valvoline in formula.

Based on results on this board over the years they seem to be consistent and reliable in their blending and quality control.

Last edited:
http://www.peakauto.com/pdf/specs-PEAK_MultiGrade_Motor_Oil.pdf

Here is the PDF on their motor oils.

So ya want to know how good Peak Conventional Motor oi is???

I'm sure that there are many motorists driving around in their vehicles with Peak Motor oil in sump....and don't even know it...lol

Lots of mechanics use Peak, SuperTech, store brand and bulk oils for oil changes on customers vehicles.

It seems like a staple, of the auto repair business, to have good inexpensive oil on hand for oil changes and it makes good economic sense to have a good supply.

The same applies to the Peak Full Synthetic motor oils.

Last edited:
Peak Conventional Oil may or may not be their "Flagship" motor oil.

It's just too hard to say...tisk....tisk....since it does not come in a "Plain Jane White Container".....I'm all confused???

Hark....I hear a voice calling out from the wilderness....What's that you say???? Oh....Okay....now I understand!

I heard these words spoken from out of the fog...."Most of the product line of Old World Industry product come in blue containers with the exception of some of their "high end" antifreeze that comes in a "Gold" container and Peak Full Synthetic motor oil....which comes in a Fancy, Schmancy, "Silver/Rhodium" color bottle."

Now, I see the light....tisk, tisk....there are no "plain white bottles" in Old World Industries lineup so they have no bottom rung of the ladder products.

The Gold and Silver/Rhodium bottles must be their "Flagship" line since they charge more....and people pay more.... and they come in Fancy bottles.

How could I miss that......

I have used Peak oil.It's fine for what it is. I think WPP is really trying to be a major player in the oil business. I wouldn't try to run it 20k in a BMW or VW but for more normal OCI's it's fine.

They are a smaller company I assume is like to support that if its a good product. Anyone know where they get their base stock

Originally Posted By: chevyboy14
They are a smaller company I assume is like to support that if its a good product. Anyone know where they get their base stock

They don't make their own oil.

My goodness, I have never bothered to look at the peak spec sheets. Their "synthetic" is as good or better than most majors in many categories. The 5w20 conventional is as good a one you will find as well. I can't even believe it! They may have a new customer.

Isn't "Peak" one of the ones that specifically uses "recycled" and/or "re-refined" used motor oil....?

Same category as Safety-Kleen, etc....? Or am I mistaken?

I'd use it, if it's cheap
smile.gif
It meets the latest specs, it can't be that bad.....

Originally Posted By: ahoier
I'd use it, if it's cheap
smile.gif
It meets the latest specs, it can't be that bad.....

Most oils say "Meets or Exceeds API"... Peak flat out says "Exceeds API SN Service Classification (all grades)"...and "Exceeds ILSAC GF-5 requirements (SAE 5W-20, 5W-30 and 10W-30)"

Must be good oil or they stretch the truth a bit ???

Originally Posted By: HTSS_TR
I used Peak 5W30 in LS400 and 10W30 in S2000 last year, I had FAR 20 quarts Peak along with Proline oil filter from Pep Boys. Before Peak those cars had Valvoline Deposit Shield and Chevron Supreme, I did not feel any difference between Peak and Valvoline or Chevron. I think it's as good as any conventional oil for reasonable OCI.

I too bought some PEAK 5W30 w/ProLine filters from PepBoys, FAR in Sept.'09 right after my daughter bought her '06 Mazda3 in Aug.'09. Because I used other oils in her car for winter time(VWB, GTX, HavDS 5W20/PuroClassic), I just finished the last of the 30 quarts/6 ProLine Filters on this last OCI.

I must say that the Peak oil is performing fine. Makes the engine quiet/smooth w/good MPG for ~4.5-5K OCI's. Nothing wrong here!

Originally Posted By: ahoier
Isn't "Peak" one of the ones that specifically uses "recycled" and/or "re-refined" used motor oil....?

Same category as Safety-Kleen, etc....? Or am I mistaken?

Mistaken.

Originally Posted By: chubbs1
My goodness, I have never bothered to look at the peak spec sheets. Their "synthetic" is as good or better than most majors in many categories. The 5w20 conventional is as good a one you will find as well. I can't even believe it! They may have a new customer.

If only they had IT in Walmart instead of the XOM stuff.
frown.gif

I decided to buy a 5qt jug of XOM 5W-20 ST. If it shares that much with ST products, maybe its in a few Walmarts then in the curved bottles!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back